Reload this Page >

Making the big purchase.

Making the big purchase.

Old Aug 18th 2018, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

wannabethere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Making the big purchase.

Andy,

Thanks for the information, again this site is very usefull ive found already and info i have received is all good to know and appreciated.

I have established that 1st point of call before i go galavanting into various properties is to obtain a NIF. ( Whens best to get this) either just before i start viewing or when Ihave shook hands and had offer accepted?

I will have a lawyer on stand by to contact to instruct the conveyancing or thru csn act as power of attorney and get the NIF, thus option sounds better.

The rest with the information i have received is all clicking in nicely. Some foid pointers with regards WIlls and rental business licence.

My ideal property so far would be a 2 bed apartment on a complex with restaurant gym etc as my 7 yr old will need to be there. I have emailed a few estate agents requesting
various fee’s this would bring and also options on renting it out.
The journey has begun and i hope its all a quick purchase before bad vibes begin to set in.

Thanks for your replies. 👍
Old Aug 18th 2018, 3:14 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Where in the Algarve ?
Prices have increased significantly in recent years so your budget my dictate where you can buy.
East of Faro will give you a better selection and quality compared to places like Albufeira Praia da Rocha , Armacao da Para..
To be honest you are better making a few shirt visits to various locations to get a feel of what suits you rather than rely on agents as your first port of call..
Old Aug 18th 2018, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

I’m easy as long as it has the basics, good restaurants at hand, bars, beach within 30 min walk. Most of the time il be using it with wifi and kidi 7yrs, just using it as a retreat and relax and enjoy as often we can get out, On a golff complex would also be good.

We went to vilamoura and as the beach was super as was the marina, Anything like that will do.
Lagos is prob as far west but i have never ventured East but i am looking online also in this area.
So far a property in West Albufiera has caught my eye at the Balaia Golf complex. This is basically what i am looking for.

thanks for you response
Phil
Old Aug 18th 2018, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EMR
Where in the Algarve ?
Prices have increased significantly in recent years so your budget my dictate where you can buy.
East of Faro will give you a better selection and quality compared to places like Albufeira Praia da Rocha , Armacao da Para..
To be honest you are better making a few shirt visits to various locations to get a feel of what suits you rather than rely on agents as your first port of call..
Defo doing plenty of recci’s, next stop will be Lagos and get a feel of a main town. Least i am aware of the breeze and happy so far. Would like to know areas that have old towns, food markets and quent shops keep the other half happy. Also with kiddi, some areas he could use would be ideal. This was my estate agent request anyway.
Thanks
Old Aug 18th 2018, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Andy43 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy43 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy43 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy43 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy43 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy43 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy43 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy43 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy43 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy43 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy43 has a reputation beyond repute

Lagos is ace. We have been to the Algarve yearly for two decades, then visited the Lagos area less than two months ago. Now we're buying there...
Old town is lovely, loads of character. Best old town bit seemed to be accessible between the petrol station and the old walls on the road opposite the marina.
Have a look at the beaches - they're all good, great sand, some sheltered, some with waves. Meia Praia (half beach) stretches for miles to the east. In Lagos centre Praia Batata (potato beach because the locals had to clear up after a shipwreck carrying potatoes) is next to the fort, then Praia Students (it's only big enough to fit one class of pupils on it!), then a few more around the headland of Ponta de Piedade (many religious visitors - coach-fulls there when we visited) to Praia Porto de Mos which will be our local beach, a really nice place with no steps down to the sand (we're thinking ahead here).
I'll stop now...
Old Aug 18th 2018, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

Nice one Andy,

Can’t wait to visit and take Lagos in. It will definitely come to where our gut instinct takes us. Lagos sounds good though. I think once my heart is set on location and amenities there is to use for usi it will then come how we rent it out to others. As i say its 5 yrs untill i retire so im committed to only 30 odd days a year to use it. Your rental predictions is well worth a thought though.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 8:57 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wannabethere
Nice one Andy,

Can’t wait to visit and take Lagos in. It will definitely come to where our gut instinct takes us. Lagos sounds good though. I think once my heart is set on location and amenities there is to use for usi it will then come how we rent it out to others. As i say its 5 yrs untill i retire so im committed to only 30 odd days a year to use it. Your rental predictions is well worth a thought though.
Avenida properties and B&P are two long established and knolwdgable , both have offices close to each other on the main road alongside the river.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 9:09 am
Just Joined

👍 Great thanks. Il look them up online too.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Andy43 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy43 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy43 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy43 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy43 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy43 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy43 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy43 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy43 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy43 has a reputation beyond reputeAndy43 has a reputation beyond repute

That reminds me - another Portuguese thing - estate agents!
We viewed stuff with three or four agents, and every one either collected us from our accomodation, or asked us to go to their office. Then you get chauffeured around in their car, using their fuel.
They seem to get a massive commission, several percent as far as I could ascertain, and a sole agency contract is very rare, so you'll find some properties being marketed by half a dozen different agents - sometimes with different photos, descriptions and even locations eg Albufeira or Olhos D'Agua or St Eulalia depending on which advert you look at. Very confusing.
Because of the competition between agents they won't tell you the exact address of properties unless you're really persistent in case you're a rival agent willing to go knock on the door and sign the sellers up with your agency.
I spent hours on google earth matching swimming pool and car park shapes to advert photos to decide if a property would be suitable. It's impossible to judge suitability just from the photos and the descriptions are usually complete fiction. 5 minutes drive to the beach... sure, in a McLaren, flat out, in the dead of night. Private pool - yeah, just you and the other 30 apartments. 5 bedroom? Errr, no, 3 bed, office and a damp basement. Sea view? Certainly, if you bring a drone or really big stepladders.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Im hoping to be selected for casting at “ A place in the sun” roadshow in September so Jasmin can show me around.

Il get plenty of properties to research on before i select them. Me too on google maps least it gives a bit of an idea.

At least i reside close 20 mins to either Manchester and Liverpool for flights to pop over. Bonus.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 9:41 am
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by wannabethere
Im hoping to be selected for casting at “ A place in the sun” roadshow in September so Jasmin can show me around.

Il get plenty of properties to research on before i select them. Me too on google maps least it gives a bit of an idea.

At least i reside close 20 mins to either Manchester and Liverpool for flights to pop over. Bonus.
You will find little information on agents adverts, they do not want you to find properties by yourself., or to reveal the obvious negatives such as next to a main road , or next to a noisy bar etc .
With the current market and multiple listing properties sold by one agent are still on others sites as the owner has not bothered to inform them.
There is no substitute for on the ground research ..

Last edited by EMR; Aug 19th 2018 at 9:44 am.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Lelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant future

Glad I'm not alone in my hours of Google maps searching! I wouldn't mind all those hours back, but in the end it proved essential. I found the property we eventually bought by this method. I also rejected a few once I'd found them as some were virtually motorway laybys or conversely down long dirt tracks with nothing nearby.

I was searching for a particular place by the shape of it's pool, and saw another place nearby that looked familiar, it turned out to be a property I had discounted because in this instance the Agents photos didn't do it justice. With hindsight I also found the property on Primelocation and A Place in the Sun websites.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EMR
You will find little information on agents adverts, they do not want you to find properties by yourself., or to reveal the obvious negatives such as next to a main road , or next to a noisy bar etc .
With the current market and multiple listing properties sold by one agent are still on others sites as the owner has not bothered to inform them.
There is no substitute for on the ground research ..
It is amazing how many you find and think "Wow" and then see the main road or cleverly unphotographed tower block on google earth.

Jasmine can show me around anytime
Old Aug 19th 2018, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

We got to the point where we demanded floor plans and a satellite image because our list of red lines were not being followed. It certainly weeded out a lot of the junk.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 3:42 pm
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

Bought our house last October, a few miles inland from Carvoeiro. We too got fed up with the exaggerations, if not blatant lies printed in the listings so in the end employed the services of a buying agent. Someone to match your actual requirements with listings from lots of other agencies, even the smaller, purely Portuguese ones who get no exposure in the UK via Rightmove etc, so have listings you wouldn't otherwise find.

They visit the houses first and shortlist them, then chauffeur you round when you come out to view. They split the commission with the selling agent so it costs you nothing.

Cheers, Scott

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.