Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Mains Water / Waste Pipes.

Mains Water / Waste Pipes.

Old Oct 12th 2013, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Douglas F is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mains Water / Waste Pipes.

We have recently purchased a villa and relocated to live in rural Santa Barbara de Nexe area.
Our water is currently supplied into our Cisterna and our Waste into our private Septic tank.
At present all the roads are currently being dug up to install pipes / meters etc for subject.
Nobody has provided us with any information as to costs, timescales, road closures etc and we are reliant on conversations with the actual workers to give us some updates.
Anyway, my questions are:
1) If we are happy to continue with water from our Cisterna, do we have to have a water meter installed?
2) Do we need to connect to their new waste pipes?
3) How much will we be charged for using mains water?
4) How much will we be charged for using their waste pipes?

Many thanks
Old Oct 12th 2013, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of
Default Re: Mains Water / Waste Pipes.

My mains water (different Camara) averages around €50 per month. This includes summer irrigation. I would imagine cheaper than getting it delivered and you don't have to worry about running out!
Sewerage is included in water charge even though I have a fossa. Their thinking is that they have to clean the water they extract I suppose.
If it was me I would connect house to mains and if possible harvest rain water into cisterna to use in garden.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

The question I would ask is " What are the standing charges" i.e. meter rental etc.

If these are low then connect up for the convenience factor, you then have the choice of using your original supply or the new service.

If the standing charges are high then a rethink is required
Old Oct 13th 2013, 10:43 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

You do need to check when we built we were not on mains drainage.
As soon as it was installed there was no opting out, we had to pay a 1 off charge of E475.
Our builder had the forsight to have everything ready so little extra work was needed to connect us to the system unlike many of our neighbours .
Those who did not connect in the early years were given a deadline.
If you already have a existing clean water supply I cannot see whay you would have to connect to the mains but I would check with your local camara.
Solidos ( waste ) is usually a % of your water bill as obviously the more you use the more goes down the drains.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Douglas F
... Anyway, my questions are:
1) If we are happy to continue with water from our Cisterna, do we have to have a water meter installed?

Many thanks
I think you'll find the answers to the last two questions here but my concern would be the costs of connection to the new systems in the first place - you might need to consult the Câmara or Fagar about your specific circumstances.

The three variable charges (TARIFAS VARIÁVEIS) (for water, sewerage & domestic refuse) will all be based on your metered mains water consumption (ABASTECIMENTO DE ÁGUA), so if you connect to the public sewers and then use water sourced elsewhere you will probably get the use of the sewers (SERVIÇO DE SANEAMENTO) for a modest standing charge (TARIFA FIXA). Conversely, if a high percentage of your mains water consumption goes to irrigate your garden, then your sewerage & refuse (SERVIÇO DE GESTÃO DE RESÍDUOS) variable charges will be disproportionately high, compared to actual usage.

If you connect to mains water but not to mains drains, then you shouldn't have to pay any sewerage charges (other than occasionally if you need to have your tank emptied).
Old Oct 13th 2013, 2:39 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to disgree but check you rmains water bill to see if there is a solidos charge connected to mains drainage or not.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

What I was trying to say (and thought I did say) was that the sewerage and refuse charges are based on metered mains water consumption. If you aren't connected to mains drains then you don't pay for sewerage, because you haven't got any. Domestic refuse charges apply whether connected to drains or not, unless someone would like to confirm otherwise.

But if you connect to mains water and drains and then don't consume any metered mains water, your sewerage and domestic refuse charges will only be a standing charge, while you have the convenience of mains water supply as a back-up and mains drains all the time.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Douglas F is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all info so far.
Do I have to connect to the mains / sewage or am I legally OK to leave as is (ie continue to only use my cisterna and fossa) ?
Old Oct 15th 2013, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

I don't know. You probably need to consult the Câmara anyway for the cost anyway but your solicitor/Advogado might know whether it's compulsory or not.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 7:05 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Douglas F
We have recently purchased a villa and relocated to live in rural Santa Barbara de Nexe area.
Our water is currently supplied into our Cisterna and our Waste into our private Septic tank.
At present all the roads are currently being dug up to install pipes / meters etc for subject.
Nobody has provided us with any information as to costs, timescales, road closures etc and we are reliant on conversations with the actual workers to give us some updates.
Anyway, my questions are:

Many thanks
surprised the seller hadn't told you about all this - a positive selling feature as most Brits like to have the full package.

round here people have the mains fed into the cisterna and then on to the house as before