Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Log burners and bits

Log burners and bits

Old Nov 30th 2023, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Log burners and bits

We have bought a log burner, but cannot find al the bits required to make the chimney. Anyone know of a place in Eastern Algarave? Thanks
Old Nov 30th 2023, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Dafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really nice
Default Re: Log burners and bits

Could be worth a 20min drive along the A22 and a visit to Leroy Merlin at Mar Shopping. They have a big stock of wood burner bits and bobs on display and fairly helpful english speaking staff to help and advise.
Old Nov 30th 2023, 10:49 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

SWMBO had our woodburner put back in place (long story) for €250 all inclusive.

Really good, works well.......... is it worth DIY??
Old Dec 1st 2023, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dafty
Could be worth a 20min drive along the A22 and a visit to Leroy Merlin at Mar Shopping. They have a big stock of wood burner bits and bobs on display and fairly helpful english speaking staff to help and advise.
We've been there, they don't stock all the parts some are on an external website (not Leroy Merlin) and you can't look at it to see what you want.
Old Dec 21st 2023, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

voluspa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by macliam
SWMBO had our woodburner put back in place (long story) for €250 all inclusive.

Really good, works well.......... is it worth DIY??

What is SWMBO?
Old Dec 22nd 2023, 12:16 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by voluspa

What is SWMBO?
She Who Must Be Obeyed

You really don't want to be introduced...............
Old Dec 23rd 2023, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Old Biker is just really niceOld Biker is just really niceOld Biker is just really niceOld Biker is just really niceOld Biker is just really niceOld Biker is just really niceOld Biker is just really niceOld Biker is just really niceOld Biker is just really niceOld Biker is just really niceOld Biker is just really nice

I purchased chimney etc from the drogari Irene Fernandes just down from Aldi in Tavira
Old Dec 24th 2023, 12:15 am
Just Joined

voluspa is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the tip on the store! I'm finding the hardware stores here quite lacking so always up for some good tips although I'm closer to Guia
Old Dec 24th 2023, 1:31 am
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by voluspa
Thanks for the tip on the store! I'm finding the hardware stores here quite lacking so always up for some good tips although I'm closer to Guia
- everything is available everywhere..... the problem is that you have to know where to look! There is also a different mindset to DIY in Portugal.... tradesmen work for a living, not to get rich quick.

Leroy and BricoMarché,etc. are not necessarily better or cheaper than the guy on the corner.... just more convenient when you don't have local contacts. If you ask a local, they will be able to tell you where to go - and sometimes it's worth a bit of a trip (I have bought premium paint at a 40% discount by driving 50Km).

Equally, as I posted before, sometimes it isn't worth the hassle of DIY, because a local tradesman will have access to bits and supply only what you need - and, often, you will pay a distinct premium for just buying a few bits for DIY. I might have been able to save €50 overall by DIY on my woodburner flue construction..... but, believe me, it was worth the extra for someone who does it regularly to do the work.....
Old Dec 24th 2023, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Old Biker
I purchased chimney etc from the drogari Irene Fernandes just down from Aldi in Tavira
I wish I'd found out about this a week ago. Good tip for the future though.