Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Lisbon landmark to close

Lisbon landmark to close

Old Jul 1st 2018, 11:51 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lisbon landmark to close

Pastelaria Suiça to close doors after nearly 100 years. The relentless march of progress

Closure of Lisbon landmark “Pastelaria Suiça”
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 1:28 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lisbon landmark to close

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Pastelaria Suiça to close doors after nearly 100 years. The relentless march of progress

Closure of Lisbon landmark “Pastelaria Suiça”
Sad - a step towards Lisbon becoming another clone city - Rossio without the cafe is just a roundabout.

1974 - Put the world to rights and then off for a bica at Suica!
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 6:29 am
Just Joined

stephan71 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's really sad.... my mother grew up in Portugal in the 1940s and she already told me about the "magical Suiça" she knew from when she was a child - at the time it seemed pretty much the inn-place for refugees and expats. On the other hand, I have to be honest, I went there two or three times, and it was always a bit of a non-experience... So part of me was really shocked when I read the news. The other part of me thought, well... sadly they really did make it hard to like the place in recent years.
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 9:33 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stephan71
It's really sad.... my mother grew up in Portugal in the 1940s and she already told me about the "magical Suiça" she knew from when she was a child - at the time it seemed pretty much the inn-place for refugees and expats. On the other hand, I have to be honest, I went there two or three times, and it was always a bit of a non-experience... So part of me was really shocked when I read the news. The other part of me thought, well... sadly they really did make it hard to like the place in recent years.
Wake up and smell the coffee, while you can!!! There's not a problem with the place, there's not a problem with the business model - the building has been bought by a corporate who are just looking to maximise profit. ***** people, ***** principles, ***** history..... let's make it a hotel!! Where is the council with enough "tomoatoes" to tell these profiteering wreckers to p*ss off?

"Um povo, unido, jamais sera vencido"...... but they can be bought, it seems.