Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Lighting a Log Fire in an Open Fireplace ~good idea ?

Lighting a Log Fire in an Open Fireplace ~good idea ?

Old Jan 19th 2019, 4:55 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lighting a Log Fire in an Open Fireplace ~good idea ?

Hello.
Advice requested on the basic lighting of a log fire in a fireplace:

I am in a house which has a fireplace in the living room. House is 20 yrs old ~fireplace and chimney look completely clean and previous owner said fire had never been lit.

My question is: can I just light a log fire in the fireplace ( there is no grate as such ) and expect it to work without smoking the room out ? I could just experiment I suppose but would prefer if someone with knowledge could advise as to the odds. YOu can look up the chimney and see light coming through the traditional cowl thing which is at the top of the chimney on the flat roof above.

Does anyone have a recommendation ( East Algarve ) for a supplier of good, dry, logs ?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 19th 2019, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lighting a Log Fire in an Open Fireplace ~good idea ?

No reason why not. I would recommend buying a small grate so that you get air under the logs though . if it has never been used in 20 yrs you might begin with having the chimney swept to see if anything is up there first. I would make a fire as you would a camp fire ie using little very dry sticks first and some firelighters ,then add the larger stuff. Make sure your wood is very dry first off. When making fires in the grate at home as a youngster I was taught to twist a long piece of newspaper into a thick spill ,light the end and hold it up the chimney ( once you have started your small fire below) until you achieved a 'draw' ie the flames started to move strongly upwards
Not in the east so can't recommend where to buy wood. Do recommend that you try and get olive wood or hard wood. Pine is the smoky one Wish you Success
Old Jan 19th 2019, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

There are a couple of places on the 125 between Tavira and Fuzeta that sell wood for fires. Both on the left if leaving >Tavira, one small place and a larger builders merchants. They deliver free too, we used them a couple of times. Sorry, can't remember the name of the place or how much we paid, but it was about right at the time.
Old Jan 19th 2019, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ouriquejan
There are a couple of places on the 125 between Tavira and Fuzeta that sell wood for fires. Both on the left if leaving >Tavira, one small place and a larger builders merchants. They deliver free too, we used them a couple of times. Sorry, can't remember the name of the place or how much we paid, but it was about right at the time.
We went all the way from Ayamonte to the smaller one past Tavira last winter 3 or 4 times to top up our usual 2 tonne delivery from Villa Blanca. Their wood is dry and excellent burning. We just filled the boot of our Fabia each time we went to the cinema for about €40.
Old Jan 20th 2019, 9:50 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the tips.

When you say ' the smaller one past Tavira ' that is past Tavira if one is going East or West ?

You don't have any memory of the name or how else I would spot it ? I am driving alone so have to keep eyes on dangerous road at all times !

And do they really chop down olive trees for firewood ?? I thought they took 100 yrs to grow ?

Is there some key phrase for 'hard wood' or firewood ? Or is it just 'madeira' ?
Old Jan 20th 2019, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
Thanks for the tips.

When you say ' the smaller one past Tavira ' that is past Tavira if one is going East or West ?

You don't have any memory of the name or how else I would spot it ? I am driving alone so have to keep eyes on dangerous road at all times !

And do they really chop down olive trees for firewood ?? I thought they took 100 yrs to grow ?

Is there some key phrase for 'hard wood' or firewood ? Or is it just 'madeira' ?
Heading west from Tavira on the N125 you go past the cemetry and the petrol station on the right and about two/three kms later on the left hand side, about 500 mtrs from Barril turn-off (Safest method is turn left at the Barril turn-off then immediately turn around and come back to towards town) . there is a good woodyard, sells two main types - a mixture at about €16.- 100 Kgs and more expensive ( oak ? ) about €20,- a 100 kgs. You choose which you want and just fill the sacks which are available there . As someone else already mentioned make sure you have a low heavy metal grate in the fireplace to ensure some draught.