Licence to rent

Old Feb 7th 2017, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

rollermum83 is on a distinguished road
Default Licence to rent

We are considering letting our property and I understand we need to obtain a licence. Has anyone recently done this, was it esy, how long did it take and did you apply yourself or is it best to get someone to do this for you.
Any replies would be most helpful.
Thank you
Old Feb 8th 2017, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Saz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really nice
Default Re: Licence to rent

Our property manager did it all for a few years ago. I cant remember what they had to do with regards to paperwork and bureaucracy, but the practical things were getting the electrics and gas all checked out and signed off as being safe. We had luminous emergency exit signs installed, fire extinguishers, fire blankets, first aid kit and complaints/comments book. Also a house plan on the wall showing the emergency exits. I am sure someone from the Camara came round to inspect the place, but as we weren't there at the time, I cant be totally certain of that. I expect someone has done it themselves more recently and can go into more detail. A licence was posted to our property managers but I am not sure of the time scale.
Old Feb 8th 2017, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

tootlewagon is an unknown quantity at this point

You might find the following link to be useful:

https://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/re...s/a-1-32-1652/

We recently used an agent to obtain the licence, and if memory serves correctly, it cost us around 500 euros.
Old Feb 9th 2017, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Tonyj is an unknown quantity at this point

We also used an agent as there are a series of things you need to have to comply with the regulations. You have to have the correct number of fire extinguishers, signage, first aid kit etc all placed in the right spots.

You also need an official complaints book and the local authority will carry out an inspection.

We decided it was better to use someone who knew the process as our Portuguese is not strong enough at this stage.
Old Feb 9th 2017, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tonyj
We also used an agent as there are a series of things you need to have to comply with the regulations. You have to have the correct number of fire extinguishers, signage, first aid kit etc all placed in the right spots.

You also need an official complaints book and the local authority will carry out an inspection.

We decided it was better to use someone who knew the process as our Portuguese is not strong enough at this stage.
Hi thanks for all the info we to will use an agent as like yourselves a lack of Portuguese to get through the systems. We have most things in place extinguishers blankets signage etc but I presume we need a Portuguese official complaints book. Could you tell me where we could buy one from. I have looked in several large bookstores where they sell most things but I can't seem to source this. Many thanks
Old Feb 9th 2017, 1:38 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Do not ignore the tax implications if you do decide to rent.
Regulations are constantly changing with one renter on another forum posting that their tax bill will now be 35% of what the financas estimate as their profit.
Talk to a good accountant with experience of holiday rental .
Remember what are allowable expenses in the UK for example cannot be offset in Portugal.
Old Feb 9th 2017, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
... Regulations are constantly changing with one renter on another forum posting that their tax bill will now be 35% of what the financas estimate as their profit. ...
Under the appropriate simplified regime tax is levied on 35% of rental/sales/turnover at the appropriate marginal rate (25% for non-residents). Previously it was levied on 15% of rental/sales/turnover.
Old Feb 9th 2017, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Tonyj is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rollermum83
Hi thanks for all the info we to will use an agent as like yourselves a lack of Portuguese to get through the systems. We have most things in place extinguishers blankets signage etc but I presume we need a Portuguese official complaints book. Could you tell me where we could buy one from. I have looked in several large bookstores where they sell most things but I can't seem to source this. Many thanks
Hi, our agent actually provided us with the complaints books as part of the service. It is quite official looking so I wonder if the local authority issues them?
Old Feb 10th 2017, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

magellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi: Sorry to hijack this thread but do I need this licence if we let the apt for July and Aug only? We don't use it then as its too hot for us!
Old Feb 10th 2017, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magellen
... do I need this licence if we let the apt for July and Aug only? We don't use it then as its too hot for us!
There is no climate/weather-related exemption. Yes, you need to register your activity with the relevant authorities.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 11:45 am
Just Joined

magellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Licence to rent

😄😄 thanks for your reply, Richard. Will get it sorted!
Old Feb 13th 2017, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

Just got an email from my Financial Representative today, telling me that the tax rate on property letting in 2017 has more than doubled (from 3.75% to 8.75%).

Appreciate that this is a lot less than the standard income tax rate, but I wonder if this the start of something sinister??
Old Feb 13th 2017, 7:32 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tootlewagon
Just got an email from my Financial Representative today, telling me that the tax rate on property letting in 2017 has more than doubled (from 3.75% to 8.75%).

Appreciate that this is a lot less than the standard income tax rate, but I wonder if this the start of something sinister??
See Richard's post #7 above for the actual incidence.

The aim, apparently, is to address the fact that previously, for those on the simplified regime, tax on holiday lettings was a good deal lower than that on residential lettings. That implies to me that any future alterations, if there are to be any, would probably be less drastic
Old Feb 13th 2017, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

We have been told the easiest way to deal with the lettings tax is to take everything to an accountant who will deal with all receipts for lettings and put them through the appropriate channels instead of doing everything ourselves. Can anyone recommend a good accountant in the Tavira area, if we decide to go through the lettings route I want to make sure we are doing it all right from the word go. Thanks
Old Feb 13th 2017, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

I personally use All Finance Matters (AFM) in Tavira, who have been fine so far - it costs us €350 p.a.in professional fees for the two of us, although I don't know how this fee compares with other financial reps in Tavira.