Reload this Page >

Latest UKGov mail out makes interesting reading

Latest UKGov mail out makes interesting reading

Old Jul 1st 2021, 12:39 am
Just Joined

Rubberlegs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Latest UKGov mail out makes interesting reading

Hi All,

I always read the information sent out by UKGov. I like to think it is accurate, or as close as possible.

The link to their latest is here, if you don't get them? :

https://ec.europa.eu/info/relations-...zens-rights_en.

The section that moved me to post was:

Protecting those who moved abroad has been the first priority from the beginning of the negotiations.
  • More than 5 million EU citizens were granted a new residence status in the UK (most come from Poland, Romania, Italy, Portugal, Spain and Bulgaria).
  • EU Member States currently estimate that there are more than 1,060,000 UK nationals residing in the EU (most in Spain, France, Ireland, Germany and the Netherlands).
Whatever your political views may be, with a land mass the size of the UK, as opposed to the whole of the EU (without the UK) these figures are remarkable.

I would be interested in the views of members of this forum?

Old Jul 1st 2021, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Latest UKGov mail out makes interesting reading

Originally Posted by Rubberlegs
Hi All,

I always read the information sent out by UKGov. I like to think it is accurate, or as close as possible.

The link to their latest is here, if you don't get them? :

https://ec.europa.eu/info/relations-...zens-rights_en.

The section that moved me to post was:

Protecting those who moved abroad has been the first priority from the beginning of the negotiations.
  • More than 5 million EU citizens were granted a new residence status in the UK (most come from Poland, Romania, Italy, Portugal, Spain and Bulgaria).
  • EU Member States currently estimate that there are more than 1,060,000 UK nationals residing in the EU (most in Spain, France, Ireland, Germany and the Netherlands).
Whatever your political views may be, with a land mass the size of the UK, as opposed to the whole of the EU (without the UK) these figures are remarkable.

I would be interested in the views of members of this forum?
It is interesting as you say considering the varying land mass but I think the reasons for moving are different.

I think a lot of EU citizens came to UK for work opportunities whilst a lot making the opposite journey did so as a retirement plan*

Also I expect once an EU citizen of say Poland / Roumania** has established themselves in UK they are more likely to have extended family join them where as when you move for retirement it is just usually yourself / couple.

*Disclaimer: I know this does not apply to all UK citizens in EU countries and some have moved for work.

**That is how Roumania was spelt when I was a lad.

Last edited by chislenko; Jul 1st 2021 at 2:19 am.
Old Jul 1st 2021, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

"I always read the information sent out by UKGov. I like to think it is accurate, or as close as possible."
Information is either accurate or inaccurate. Anything in-between is disinformation.

Bit of confusing post to be honest, title is about UKGov mail out, but link is europa.eu.
Old Jul 1st 2021, 6:47 am
Just Joined

Rubberlegs is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, the link leads you to the information that the UKGov email provides for you to read.

That is directly to the pertinent page of the EU Commission's own information and facts, it appears?

I also cut and pasted the relevant details into my posting for ease.

I am sorry if that is too confusing?

This is the actual link, if you wish to navigate through, but I think you have to subscribe to it? g[email protected]

To touch on the subject, my own view was altered, when such matters were raised in the past, by the argument that, we also had U.K. citizens living in Europe, as a form of counter balance.
I was not aware that the figure was approximately five to one and is relevant when one considers population density in the U.K..
Old Jul 1st 2021, 7:35 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

How do you regard the Channel Islands Rubberlegs?

Bit of a paradise or an overcrowded hell-hole?
Old Jul 1st 2021, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Rubberlegs, apologies if the responses to your first post on here have been overwhelmingly negative.

I tried to open up the discussion but it appears to no avail.

You will find if you stick around there is a cohort of favourites on here who can say what they want and insult you at will and the rest of us who will be sanctioned.

Just to prove the point I imagine my post will be modified or removed within the next 24 hours.

Old Jul 1st 2021, 6:53 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure how you read negativity or insults into my post.

Rubberlegs has posted on here previously, and had a welcome and responses from me in the past.
Old Jul 1st 2021, 7:03 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chislenko
Rubberlegs, apologies if the responses to your first post on here have been overwhelmingly negative.

I tried to open up the discussion but it appears to no avail.

You will find if you stick around there is a cohort of favourites on here who can say what they want and insult you at will and the rest of us who will be sanctioned.

Just to prove the point I imagine my post will be modified or removed within the next 24 hours.
This is not Rubberlegs first post on here, they have been taking part in various discussions since February.

There are no favourites, everyone is treated exactly the same so any moderation of posts is based on the content of the post not on who has posted.

Your comments on moderation should not be made on the forum as you know but in case you have forgotten please read Rule 15. Normally under that rule your post should have been deleted but I have left it in order to remind others that the rules exist, they are very basic and very fair so quite easy to adhere to.

Rosemary
Old Jul 1st 2021, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Midgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond reputeMidgo has a reputation beyond repute

I think that what matters to any of the relevant governments is not numbers of people but how much money and how it gets through to them
I am not clever enough to know the answers, but I feel that generally sweeping with a very broad brush UK needs the foreign workers and EU needs the money being spent by retirees. Maybe it evens up in the end?
I always find the crowding of our islands very remarkable, generally
Old Jul 5th 2021, 8:17 am
Polished expat

Some interesting background to those headline figures here : Why 6m settlement applications doesn’t mean 6m EU citizens live in the UK
Old Jul 5th 2021, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

It's all very interesting and of course, as per the article above, the figure includes applications from those eligible to apply but that doesn't mean they are currently residing in the UK or that they intend to.

As far as the concern about: it's a small island and it's overpopulated, I suppose that is all a matter of perspective and is highly subjective. Populations are highly concentrated in cities and even then could be considered to be low when compared to other cities in the world. Rural areas have very low density populations and in my opinion, could do with some revitalisation. The simple fact is that the world is changing and Britain will continue to change too. Some changes will be considered good and others negative and quite probably, even those connotations will be viewed differently by each individual. No matter how it is viewed, change is inescapable and people will either adapt or get stuck in a rut and get left behind.