Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Last Daft Question... from me.... How safe is Portugal....?

Last Daft Question... from me.... How safe is Portugal....?

Old May 18th 2009, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Last Daft Question... from me.... How safe is Portugal....?

I am surprised about the gun violence though. Are guns readily available in Portugal then?
Old May 18th 2009, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Titleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sharon B
I am surprised about the gun violence though. Are guns readily available in Portugal then?
Isn't a case of being sensible, obviously some crimes are unavoidable, but if you behave the same as you do here.
you wouldn't go out and leave your house or car unlocked, or go to bed at night and leave it all unlocked, there are dogdy area's here you avoid, and don't leave your handbag on the car seat .
as for drug's they are everywhere, my kids have been approached in PT (They are teenagers) and even I know who the dealers and runners are in our town.
But having said all that I do feel safer in portugal.and not so intimidated by gangs of youth/drunks, and I have noticed that if there is any trouble it is the uk tourist causing it.
I may be wrong, but that is my observations
Old May 18th 2009, 3:47 pm
I.T Expert - Algarve

scott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Last Daft Question... from me.... How safe is Portugal....?

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
You're tryng to make me look silly now
(Im sure that wasnt there when I clicked the quote)
Don't start lying!!!!!
Old May 18th 2009, 3:48 pm
I.T Expert - Algarve

scott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the rough
Post Re: Last Daft Question... from me.... How safe is Portugal....?

Originally Posted by the troubadour
never ever felt in danger for my personal safety.
I totally agree with that!
Old May 18th 2009, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sharon B
Illegally yes & shotguns are easy to get legally
Old May 18th 2009, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene
faith

One thing the UK is far better at is responding to incidents; fire, ambulance & police. (IMO)

G
Certainly the GNR can be known to take an hour or two to arrive at an armed robbery(I aint joking) but they are pretty quick on the scene for parking offences.

I cant speak for all the Bomberios in Portugal... but certainly the ones here in my town, be it fire or ambulance.... they are fantastic/rapid at responding!
Old May 18th 2009, 8:48 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Certainly the GNR can be known to take an hour or two to arrive at an armed robbery(I aint joking) but they are pretty quick on the scene for parking offences.

I cant speak for all the Bomberios in Portugal... but certainly the ones here in my town, be it fire or ambulance.... they are fantastic/rapid at responding!
Oooh firemen!
Old May 18th 2009, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of

Even in our small village there are robberies by the junkies, things like a pair of ladies golf shoes or 6 bottles of €1.50 wine! Costs quite a lot to get your locks or shutters mended, though.

I should think that it's about the same as in UK, almost every young person is at least smoking dope, and some not so young ones too, but the older ones are mostly off the streets and out of the cafes and public places so you don't notice it. Not that I think smoking dope leads to crime.

You hear of quite a lot of robberies, but not much violence. It's quite safe to leave plant pots and garden furniture out, car unlocked and washing on the line, which you couldn't do in Newcastle!
Old May 19th 2009, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Titleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=anna58;7583229]Even in our small village there are robberies by the junkies, things like a pair of ladies golf shoes or 6 bottles of €1.50 wine! Costs quite a lot to get your locks or shutters mended, though.

I should think that it's about the same as in UK, almost every young person is at least smoking dope, and some not so young ones too, but the older ones are mostly off the streets and out of the cafes and public places so you don't notice it. Not that I think smoking dope leads to crime.

You hear of quite a lot of robberies, but not much violence. It's quite safe to leave plant pots and garden furniture out, car unlocked and washing on the line, which you couldn't do in Newcastle![/QUOTE]

I do all of that here, the car is not left unlocked on purpose though and the garden furniture is hardly out as it is always bloody raining
but saying that my Mum lives on the other side of town and has had her house broken into, and where we used to live was rife with crime, cause of junkies
Old May 19th 2009, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

LOL my Dad one year stayed at a nice villa in Luz, they had all the pool inflatables and a marble ashtray stolen from outside! It was out of town too so unlikely to be kids.

G
Old May 19th 2009, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene
LOL my Dad one year stayed at a nice villa in Luz, they had all the pool inflatables and a marble ashtray stolen from outside! It was out of town too so unlikely to be kids.

G
least they had somewhere to put their dogends, whilst on the beach using those inflatables