Introduction

Old Mar 3rd 2022, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

andywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Introduction

Hiya Sally, apply to a company called VFS, IIRC the link is on the consulates website (its like a clearing centre for consulates) they will take yre fingerprints and bio-metric stuff, photo etc, this is in Manchester, then they will send you to the consulate in the city centre where you just wait to be seen......IIRC you are in Notts yeah ? so the Manchester consulate is easier than London (and from all accounts VFS in London has a slightly different way of doing things anyway) at the consulate in Manchester you will need the list of required docs (you will find it on other threads on here.........its quite lengthy) if you do not have everything on that list when you get there they will let you send it by post as soon as you have it, you will need a NIF when you get here in PT a national insurance number basically, with this you can open a bank account, to get the NIF at the camara (council) you need an address to use, either your sons or one that you are renting or have purchased, once you have the final two pieces of the jigsaw puzzle you can get you passport stamped for the next 120 days (by the consulate in Manchester) either DHL it for about 47euro, or go back with it in your hand and get it stamped, whatever you do do not put it in the normal post CTT as they are next to useless, once stamped then you will get an appt with SEF inside that 120 days, to get your residency based on all of the paperwork that you showed to the consulate in Manchester along with the NIF and your bank account and proof of address..............all being well then residency for an initial 2 years to be extended after that period for another 3 years all being well.........at least thats the theory anyway, but you must start the process in the UK before you leave...................oh and you will need a fiscal representative here in PT accountant will do it for about 50-60euro, this is until you have residency then you do not need him/her..............hope all of that helps somewhat

Last edited by andywally; Mar 3rd 2022 at 2:32 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2022, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

NSG666 is a jewel in the roughNSG666 is a jewel in the roughNSG666 is a jewel in the roughNSG666 is a jewel in the roughNSG666 is a jewel in the rough

Hi Sally. the link below is what charleyfarley referred to:

VFS D7 Visa Application Process - British Expats

I believe that when you apply for the D7 you input the date that you would like it to start. The thread above might give some indication of the time it takes from applying to receiving the visa as long as you provide everything required at the meeting and there are no queries.

I think the link says you need 12 months of living expenses in a PT bank account. As Andywally has said you need a NIF to open a bank account and, as a current UK resident you will need a fiscal representative. I'm pretty sure that when I was looking into this I read that the fiscal representative could be a friend living in PT so your son might ba able to be yours - if not I think it costs about 100e for someone to do it for you - there is someone in the Lisbon / Cascais are doing it for about 50/60e but I can't remember who.
Old Mar 3rd 2022, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andywally
Hiya Sally, apply to a company called VFS, IIRC the link is on the consulates website (its like a clearing centre for consulates) they will take yre fingerprints and bio-metric stuff, photo etc, this is in Manchester, then they will send you to the consulate in the city centre where you just wait to be seen......IIRC you are in Notts yeah ? so the Manchester consulate is easier than London (and from all accounts VFS in London has a slightly different way of doing things anyway) at the consulate in Manchester you will need the list of required docs (you will find it on other threads on here.........its quite lengthy) if you do not have everything on that list when you get there they will let you send it by post as soon as you have it, you will need a NIF when you get here in PT a national insurance number basically, with this you can open a bank account, to get the NIF at the camara (council) you need an address to use, either your sons or one that you are renting or have purchased, once you have the final two pieces of the jigsaw puzzle you can get you passport stamped for the next 120 days (by the consulate in Manchester) either DHL it for about 47euro, or go back with it in your hand and get it stamped, whatever you do do not put it in the normal post CTT as they are next to useless, once stamped then you will get an appt with SEF inside that 120 days, to get your residency based on all of the paperwork that you showed to the consulate in Manchester along with the NIF and your bank account and proof of address..............all being well then residency for an initial 2 years to be extended after that period for another 3 years all being well.........at least thats the theory anyway, but you must start the process in the UK before you leave...................oh and you will need a fiscal representative here in PT accountant will do it for about 50-60euro, this is until you have residency then you do not need him/her..............hope all of that helps somewhat
"clearing centre for consulates" is a polite way to describe VFS. It is a for profit company with a low level of knowledge or skill, which takes every opportunity to upsell it's services. You have no option but to use them, but it's a good idea to double check anything they tell you.

When I see people saying that VFS helpfully have a link to buy a "compliant" travel insurance policy on their website, I instantly think "guess they are getting a nice commission payment from that then"

Fortunately you'll find plenty of useful advice and information in the threads on here
Old Mar 4th 2022, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

andywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond reputeandywally has a reputation beyond repute

always polite Alan.................my mum would be proud