Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

internet access with a laptop

internet access with a laptop

Old Feb 28th 2010, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Titleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond repute
Default internet access with a laptop

I know this has been covered but can anyone help?
We will be moving to Pt very soon and as we will be living in a caravan for 2-3 months we will have use of a laptop but my questions are. What is the best way to have internet access without the use of a wireless rooter?
Also Would we have to enter any contracts with vodafone for this short period of time?
Regards Mr T.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 11:43 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: internet access with a laptop

Originally Posted by Titleist
I know this has been covered but can anyone help?
We will be moving to Pt very soon and as we will be living in a caravan for 2-3 months we will have use of a laptop but my questions are. What is the best way to have internet access without the use of a wireless rooter?
Also Would we have to enter any contracts with vodafone for this short period of time?
Regards Mr T.
Pikey

I had a dongle when I moved house,until BB came to my village.
I had to do a year contract tho'
(It was Kangaru through Orange and the contract was a bastard to get out of )
Old Feb 28th 2010, 11:46 am
I.T Expert - Algarve

scott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the roughscott909 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: internet access with a laptop

The best way would be to use a 3G internet 'dongle' (although I hate the word!). Vodafone offer the best deals in my opinion here, you can see them all at http://www.vodafone.pt/main/Particul...ndaLargaMovel/

As an example, I see one option here as €22,87 per month for unlimited traffic anywhere with a mobile phone signal, don't know if it's a contract tho

I hope this helps
Old Feb 28th 2010, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

jaz1962 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
vodafone do a pay as you go dongal. no contract. its easy. just go into any vodafone shop in pt.sorted.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Titleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for your help titleist
Old Feb 28th 2010, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cleri
Pikey

I had a dongle when I moved house,until BB came to my village.
I had to do a year contract tho'
(It was Kangaru through Orange and the contract was a bastard to get out of )
mrs T here , he is so stunned , he didn't even notice you called him a pikey. but as he is going to be a "pikey" he said he will tap on your door in a few weeks time and sell you some "dolly pegs"

Hopeyou have survived the storms, I could always send him to clean up the storm damage
Old Feb 28th 2010, 6:56 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Titleist
mrs T here , he is so stunned , he didn't even notice you called him a pikey. but as he is going to be a "pikey" he said he will tap on your door in a few weeks time and sell you some "dolly pegs"

Hopeyou have survived the storms, I could always send him to clean up the storm damage
Old Mar 1st 2010, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

steppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of light

VDB has an free wifi hotspots as well as an internet area with free internet for one hour.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

bart n caz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, yes Vodafone do offer a Pay as go service but you would need to purchase the dongle, have a look on this thread, it might interest you to do a short term contract???

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=656612

Good luck with move and enjoy! (i missed the pikey bit too, made me laugh, u r a one Cleri!)
Old Mar 31st 2010, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

kyles Mummy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys

when we moved here we were concerned about our internet as we work online but we got a great dongle with TMN and my dad now has it for when he is travelling around in his rv.

the tmn service seems to be the best and you can buy one without a contract and then top it up as you need it. Plus you also get acess to the wifi hotspots with it.

kind regards

sam
X
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

Hi I have a Kangaru you can borrow if you like, cost €50 I'm hoping it still works... bought it when we moved over then got internet after a week, you just top it up like a mobile phone.

Worth a try maybe? Great excuse to meet for a drink anyway
Old Apr 5th 2010, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Supremegermalene
Hi I have a Kangaru you can borrow if you like, cost €50 I'm hoping it still works... bought it when we moved over then got internet after a week, you just top it up like a mobile phone.

Worth a try maybe? Great excuse to meet for a drink anyway
Hi G, I have sent you a pm x