Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Interesting news about car hire

Interesting news about car hire

Old Feb 6th 2013, 8:06 am
Getting younger every day

sagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond repute
Default Interesting news about car hire

http://www.algarvedailynews.com/news...ompany-goldcar
Old Feb 6th 2013, 8:23 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting news about car hire

There is a report on Algarve Daily News today that relates to experiences in Portugal.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 11:00 am
Banned

sir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the rough

It makes me weep to read and hear about stories like this. Where are the regulations to stamp out cowboy firms like this? The very freedom of the citizens of the EU is put in serious jeopardy by rogue outfits like this. They must be eradicated. The EU should have bigger muscle to run these guys out of town.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 11:13 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

What the ******* has this got to do with the EU or the freedom of individuals. It is a simple commercial practice, unfair to the hirer but not illegal. Customers have choice but as most car hire is done through third party booking agents clients do not find out until they arrive at their destination.
Anyone booking a hire car should find out who the provider is in advance and if it is Goldcar or any other who behaves like this cancel the booking .
This has been publicised for almost 2 years now and nothing has changed .
The consumer will always chase the lowest headline price and in this case is paying the final price in extras etc.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 11:54 am
Banned

sir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by EMR
What the ******* has this got to do with the EU or the freedom of individuals. It is a simple commercial practice, unfair to the hirer but not illegal. Customers have choice but as most car hire is done through third party booking agents clients do not find out until they arrive at their destination.
Anyone booking a hire car should find out who the provider is in advance and if it is Goldcar or any other who behaves like this cancel the booking .
This has been publicised for almost 2 years now and nothing has changed .
The consumer will always chase the lowest headline price and in this case is paying the final price in extras etc.
Pray, tell us what kind of business is it that you run. What are your ethics? What standards do you adhere to when dealing with your customers?
Old Feb 6th 2013, 12:59 pm
EMR
Banned

Gold car do it because they can get away with it, it is not right or fair but it is capitalism. It would not surprise me to see more hire car companies do this if nothing is done to stop Gold Car. The best way to change their policy is for customers or the third party hire agencies to stop using them, but that will not happen.
Publicity such as the Daily Mail, Algarve news media ,and comment on forums if it means less business for them are the most effective way.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

This is what you get when you book cheap car hire. There are far better companies that even though are more expensive have no excesses to pay if you have an accident and everything is covered with no hidden extras.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 7:12 pm
pdr
Forum Regular

pdr is an unknown quantity at this point

The report on Goldcar doesn't come close to covering the problems this company causes. They sell insurance excess just the same as everyone else, but there has always been an excess on all car rentals globally - just as there is on most people's own car insurance policies!

But, Goldcar are most definitely guilty of several sharp practices, although in many cases their customers don't help themselves because they fail to check the company's terms and conditions. Threatening people by telling them they must buy excess insurance or they can't have their vehicle is just wrong. Insisting on providing a customer with a full tank of fuel as a courtesy is also wrong, as it's not a courtesy it's an additional cost! Charging higher than the pump price for the fuel (despite their claims to the contrary) is wrong too. Duping people into paying in sterling rather than euros, then charging them 2% on top of the exchange rate is wrong as well.

However, it doesn't end there. Goldcar staff are lax in checking the vehicle when it is returned, but they state this is part of their full/empty fuel policy. It means you just drop off the keys and go - no need to stay and have the fuel levels checked! The reality of this little scam hits home some time later! People have arrived back from their holiday to find their credit card charged because the vehicle was excessively dirty, or the parcel shelf or child seat was missing - one customer was even charged thousands of pounds for failing to return the vehicle! But, it doesn't stop there because they also charge admin and exchange rate fees as well! I have read dozens of stories about Goldcar, and how people have just given up on getting refunds for false charges, basically because in many cases credit card companies have been of little help.

The practice of the full/empty fuel policy is now sadly being copied by several companies in Portugal so beware, particularly if visiting the Algarve! After all, many modern cars are capable of easily travelling 400 miles without refuelling, and I don't think anywhere in the region is more than 80 miles from Faro Airport, and even with several trips in the car, few people will use more than half a tank!

Incidentally, there are several small rental companies who are cheaper than Goldcar. They offer good value for money, and treat their customers with the respect they deserve!
Old Feb 6th 2013, 10:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by EMR
Gold car do it because they can get away with it, it is not right or fair but it is capitalism. It would not surprise me to see more hire car companies do this if nothing is done to stop Gold Car. The best way to change their policy is for customers or the third party hire agencies to stop using them, but that will not happen.
Publicity such as the Daily Mail, Algarve news media ,and comment on forums if it means less business for them are the most effective way.
In your world the "protection racket" run by a mafia is "capitalism".
Old Feb 6th 2013, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

More and more people check rating websites like tripadvisor these days. Angry customers post bad reviews, and soon it has an effect.

I used www.dailyrent.net in Lagos when my car was broken down for a week. They were just fine, and the price was good too.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

Hiring a car through agencies is not the right way as it enevitably means higher charges or hidden costs.

If possible find a hire firm by reference from someone who can recommend a company.

We use a smaller company dealing direct with them at Faro airport. Service is excellent, cars are well maintained and they are competitive on price. Also we pay cash and avoid credit card charges for paying by card.

Been using them for nearly 8 years now and they have never let us down yet.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sir recorder
It makes me weep to read and hear about stories like this. Where are the regulations to stamp out cowboy firms like this? The very freedom of the citizens of the EU is put in serious jeopardy by rogue outfits like this. They must be eradicated. The EU should have bigger muscle to run these guys out of town.
This company charged me 300 euros for a damaged tyre, refused to come and change it for a 60 plus year old woman. I had to limp it home 12 miles where a neighbour spent ages looking for the spare. It was attempt type under the car so I had to drive it back to the airport to get it dealt with and get a replacement. Never used them since. Luckily, I have annual insurance with insurance4carhire so got the cash back.

There is truly some sharp practice going on, worth finding a good company and sticking to them I think.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 6:44 pm
EMR
Banned

We have bought a 12 month excess insurance policy for £49.99.
This covers those tems which the car hire companies will no cover.
You keep receipts and then claim in the normal way.

I woudl ahve done this years ago but wanted to check on the experiences of others befor going ahead.
As a regular visitor it will save us a few100 euros/year .
Old Feb 17th 2013, 10:13 pm
pdr
Forum Regular

pdr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EMR
We have bought a 12 month excess insurance policy for £49.99.
This covers those tems which the car hire companies will no cover.
You keep receipts and then claim in the normal way.

I woudl ahve done this years ago but wanted to check on the experiences of others befor going ahead.
As a regular visitor it will save us a few100 euros/year .
This is the best way of providing yourself with a "comfort zone", and I have the same kind of policy myself. However, sharp practice rears its head in all sorts of ways, and not just through the "cheapo" oerators.

I recently rented through Avis at Faro with an advance booking. On arrival I was offered an upgrade at €1.50/day for a week. I accepted because there were several bulky items we were considering buying for which a larger car would be helpful, and the upgrade was significantly cheaper than the price I would have paid if it had been part of my original booking.

Shortly after, I received a credit card bill for £29.54! To be fair to Avis they credited my account immediately, but what bugs me is that many people won't ask for explanations, and will be charged for services they did not require! If Avis are using "sharp practice" to generate additional income, then I dread to think what the "lesser" companies are doing!
Old Feb 18th 2013, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Nettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really niceNettienut is just really nice

Originally Posted by pdr
This is the best way of providing yourself with a "comfort zone", and I have the same kind of policy myself. However, sharp practice rears its head in all sorts of ways, and not just through the "cheapo" oerators.

I recently rented through Avis at Faro with an advance booking. On arrival I was offered an upgrade at €1.50/day for a week. I accepted because there were several bulky items we were considering buying for which a larger car would be helpful, and the upgrade was significantly cheaper than the price I would have paid if it had been part of my original booking.

Shortly after, I received a credit card bill for £29.54! To be fair to Avis they credited my account immediately, but what bugs me is that many people won't ask for explanations, and will be charged for services they did not require! If Avis are using "sharp practice" to generate additional income, then I dread to think what the "lesser" companies are doing!
We just had an example of 'sharp practice' from Avis in Faro too. No problems ever before. We also have our own insurance policy, but they fleeced us on the last occasion we visited. We had pre-paid as usual and they added fees which were already included in the voucher and also sneaked in Personal Assistance Coverage (without asking if we wanted it!).

Okay, it's 'buyer beware', so we should have checked before signing, but as we've had no problems with them previously and hubby didn't have his glasses on (!!) he signed as usual. Credit card bill for those little extras on a 3 day hire = 122,75 Euros. Not impressed and not an acceptable response from Avis - in fact a very patronising response indeed.

Lesson to learn: PUT YOUR GLASSES ON (IF REQUIRED TO READ SMALL PRINT!) AND CHECK BEFORE SIGNING ANYTHING.

End result we've taken our not inconsiderable business elsewhere

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.