Reload this Page >

Insurance/ Camera

Insurance/ Camera

Old Nov 4th 2014, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Mr Orange is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Insurance/ Camera

Hi,
I have found plenty of places to insure home content insurance quite cheaply, but I have not found one place which will insure valuables outside the house?

What I'm really after is a company which will insure my camera equipment while travelling around Portugal, any recommendations?

Thanks
Old Nov 4th 2014, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Insurance/ Camera

Originally Posted by Mr Orange
Hi,
I have found plenty of places to insure home content insurance quite cheaply, but I have not found one place which will insure valuables outside the house?

What I'm really after is a company which will insure my camera equipment while travelling around Portugal, any recommendations?

Thanks
Bit of an unusual request here in Portugal yet I'm sure not so unusual in the uk. I guy I know wanted insurance for his expensive violin that he travelled with, it was possible but the company I knew of would only insure it with the condition that he was an excisting customer of theirs. If you already have insurance, ask at the company where you have it, I'm sure it will be possible.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Not cameras but I have some relatively valuable items that I needed to have insured for storage inside the house and for use outside the house and I just called my insurance company, gave them the required info of value etc and they issued cover straight away.

I can't remember the cost but it wasn't overly expensive.

If your household insurance company can't help you, perhaps you might find an insurance broker and see if he can track something down for you.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

I needed to insure my very expensive glasses - we had to up the insurance cover for the house contents, but it included travel, loss, accidents (and knowing me, we really needed that one!)

We're with mapfre.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 8:30 am
Just Joined

Do you have a link for mapfre please, Google only comes up with a place in New York?
Thanks
Old Nov 5th 2014, 8:34 am
Just Joined

I tried a Broker recommend on this forum, but i know they were having trouble and have stop responding to my emails
Old Nov 5th 2014, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

We use our local agent, Jorge in Olhao.

But you could try mapfre.pt

or

RuaCastilho, 52, 1250-071 Lisboa

tel 213819700
Old Nov 5th 2014, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Our insurance told us that they could insure house contents with a blanket value, but items to be insured outside the home needed to be itemized and the receipts submitted.
We use Medal in Portimao.

Musical instruments usually have their own policy; I know a couple of professional string players. There was a flood and a chello was floating in the living room...

Last edited by liveaboard; Nov 5th 2014 at 5:17 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

I tried a Broker recommend on this forum, but i know they were having trouble and have stop responding to my emails
High risk, low profit! Unless you already have other insurance with them, I doubt anyone will touch it!

Just curious, who is broker that was suggested?

Last edited by gedscottish; Nov 5th 2014 at 5:18 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 10:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gedscottish
High risk, low profit! Unless you already have other insurance with them, I doubt anyone will touch it!

Just curious, who is broker that was suggested?
the original insurance company i tried was David Hills Insurance

I'm presently trying to arrange contents insurance so the camera would be on top of that, but still no luck, not one response from an email so guess i will head into Lisbon and try in person.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

the original insurance company i tried was David Hills Insurance

I'm presently trying to arrange contents insurance so the camera would be on top of that, but still no luck, not one response from an email so guess I will head into Lisbon and try in person.
Think that David Hills is in the Algarve and you are Lisbon based?! Even if they don't want your business the least they could do is have the decency to respond. What is it you are after with your contents insurance, just a quote?