Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

increases in IUC next year

increases in IUC next year

Old Oct 26th 2023, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute
Default increases in IUC next year

Just noticed that there will be quite large increase in my IUC from next year.....from e50 to e160. (1400cc) 2001 car.
but as a gesture it will only be increased at the rate of e25 a year....but i guess they will increase the e160 from next year and so on.
Old Oct 26th 2023, 8:03 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: increases in IUC next year

One of the more controversial proposals of recent budgets, judging by the amount of heat it's generating from other politicians, pundits and the general public.

Unlike the closure of NHR, on which there is virtually no comment, I'd be surprised if this survives a parliamentary mauling unscathed.
Old Oct 26th 2023, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder what will happen to my 1998 2.3 liter petrol car?
They say it's a pollution charge; but like many older cars, that one only does about 4000 km per year.

I think it's really a 'get some money out of the population' charge, because owners of old cars have been getting too sweet a deal for a long time.
Old Oct 27th 2023, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I wonder what will happen to my 1998 2.3 liter petrol car?
They say it's a pollution charge; but like many older cars, that one only does about 4000 km per year.

I think it's really a 'get some money out of the population' charge, because owners of old cars have been getting too sweet a deal for a long time.

for your car looks like it will be either €218 if CO2 between 120 and 180 gm, or €329 if CO2 between 181 and 250gm
But again would only increase by max of €25 pa from where it is in 2023, guessing it is €81 this year 2023.
Thats of these proposals go through (but if not approved why change the simulators, before confirmed)

Last edited by wellinever; Oct 27th 2023 at 7:05 am.
Old Nov 15th 2023, 8:34 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Now scrubbed, in its entirety, from the budget proposal, according to this morning's news.
Old Nov 15th 2023, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Good tidings for the many who drive cheap dirty old cars in Portugal.

Like me.
Old Nov 16th 2023, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

1Steve is an unknown quantity at this point

Cancelled for fear of loosing votes at the coming elections as the majority of IUC payers will be able to vote. NHR beneficiaries with a vote however will be in the minority so not so important to about turn on that one. Cars should be taxed according to the pollution they emit to try to get the dirty old cars off the roads especially the older diesel engines. I once saw a report on pollution in cities and they showed the filter from an air quality monitoring machine and it was black with soot after only a few hours of sampling. All that soot ends up in peoples lungs and it causes a lot of ill health to people young and old.
Old Nov 18th 2023, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

I agree; but the proposed increased IUC (road tax) is based on theoretical carbon dioxide output, not particulates (soot) or other emissions.
Also, the tax is per year, not per km, so it has little correlation with actual emitted co.
Older cars are likely to be kept by people who don't drive a lot; because if you do drive a lot, you'll be better off with a newer car that uses less fuel and has fewer maintenance issues.

If CO is really the issue, tax the fuel, that is in direct proportion to the emissions.
If particulates or other pollutants are the issue, then they should be addressed; many cities have restriction zones for instance, where older cars aren't allowed in at all, or diesels are banned.

A parked car emits (for practical purposes) no pollution.
Old Nov 20th 2023, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

I agree; but the proposed increased IUC (road tax) is based on theoretical carbon dioxide output, not particulates (soot) or other emissions.
Also, the tax is per year, not per km, so it has little correlation with actual emitted co.
Older cars are likely to be kept by people who don't drive a lot; because if you do drive a lot, you'll be better off with a newer car that uses less fuel and has fewer maintenance issues.

If CO is really the issue, tax the fuel, that is in direct proportion to the emissions.
If particulates or other pollutants are the issue, then they should be addressed; many cities have restriction zones for instance, where older cars aren't allowed in at all, or diesels are banned.

A parked car emits (for practical purposes) no pollution.
Absolutely correct.
Old Jan 2nd 2024, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

went to the financas portal to pay my IUC due in January; no bill has been issued.
This usually means they haven't fixed the rate yet.
Old Jan 2nd 2024, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Dafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really nice

2024 Budget approved, but not signed off yet . late this year
Old Jan 3rd 2024, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

went to the financas portal to pay my IUC due in January; no bill has been issued.
I have to pay for our car before the end of January, the original email said we can use multibank, but there are no details or an amount. The last tax we paid for another care had all the details on the email.
Old Jan 3rd 2024, 11:13 am
Polished expat

Originally Posted by Dafty
2024 Budget approved, but not signed off yet . late this year
The President signed off on it on 21st December.

As far as I know, that's the last step, so it should be effective 1st Jan.
Old Jan 3rd 2024, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Dafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really nice

It,ll take a few days for all the "good" news to filter down to us plebs !
Old Jan 4th 2024, 1:50 pm
Polished expat

Originally Posted by bons
I have to pay for our car before the end of January, the original email said we can use multibank, but there are no details or an amount. The last tax we paid for another care had all the details on the email.
Looks like the process may have changed slightly this year and requires action from us to generate the bill & the payment ref.

As per your email bons, follow the instruction to emit the document (From the Portal main menu after signing in, choose Servicos / IUC / Entregar Ano Corrente) then select appropriate category before clicking on Pesquisar, selecting the vehicle from those results and clicking on Emitir.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.