Income

Old Apr 28th 2022, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Income

Sally-You are not the first person to be misled by what is commonly called a "Double Taxation Agreement" and people will say that this means you cannot be taxed on the same income in two countries.Basically each country has a specific treaty with other countries about which country has first dibs on different types of income As a general principle income from property is taxed in the country in which the property is situated.Likewise government occupational pensions are usually taxed in the country of origin.The country in which you are resident then usually applies an allowance based on what you would have paid according to the tax system of your resident country
So you need to be aware of the Anglo Portugal tax agreement and also how the tax system works in Portugal
There are many companies available to give advice according to your situation
Old Apr 28th 2022, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chislenko
To move to a Schengen country now from UK do you not need to show a certain amount of assets / income or have I got that wrong?
Yes, but the financial provisions for Portugal are not especially onerous - if someone can't meet them then I doubt they could afford to live in the UK either!
Old Apr 28th 2022, 4:51 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

You don't say where you intend to move to . Is that because you have not decided yet , and is the cost of your new home a factor in that decision?

Algarve and Lisbon are much more expensive now than , eg, far Alentejo or North East.

I can see the attraction of selling everything in the UK for simplicity's sake...........But for me I would want to keep a tight hold of the rental property in UK : you cannot be sure that at some point in the future you might not want to make use of that bolthole yourself, if only for lengthy holiday breaks, but with an option of a return.

18 grand a year seems plenty to me, esp. if you don't indulge in luxuries.

On the subject of a car : you might want to consider taking advantage of the new resident exemption from importation taxes / charges whatever : if you have , or could acquire, a very reliable cheapo UK reg car and bring it over to Portugal with a view to putting it on Port. plates. There are NO cheapo reliable second hand cars in Portugal, in case you were expecting to buy one.

[ Well ,someone will contradict that but I still think you would need luck to find one. ]

Old Apr 28th 2022, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SgtTroy
Split year is not granted and could be applied subject to certain criteria listed on HMRC website, which might cover the mainstream, but do not cover a number of real life situations - self-employed, pensioners, etc.

If you want to further complicate the matter, have a look at the Statutory Residence Test.

In practical terms the best time to move would be either in the two months before 6 April, or in the two months after that.

In the first case the OP would remain UK resident for the whole year, but would hardly have any foreign income in Portugal for the first two months of residing there, which could increase her UK liability, and even if that happens, the additional tax would be offset by the PT tax paid.

In the second case the OP would likely be a non-resident in the UK for the whole year, considering the relevant ties as defined in the SRT.
We actually found HMRC pretty OK on applying split tax year, providing it's clear that you are making a permanent move, not just trying to do some fancy tax dodging. You are right that SRT is a PITA, though for OP, with all current assets in the UK and no planned income in PT until future pension starts being paid, it's probably not too worrying. Worth reading about, but not stressing about
Old Apr 28th 2022, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by riv
You don't say where you intend to move to . Is that because you have not decided yet , and is the cost of your new home a factor in that decision?

Algarve and Lisbon are much more expensive now than , eg, far Alentejo or North East.

I can see the attraction of selling everything in the UK for simplicity's sake...........But for me I would want to keep a tight hold of the rental property in UK : you cannot be sure that at some point in the future you might not want to make use of that bolthole yourself, if only for lengthy holiday breaks, but with an option of a return.

18 grand a year seems plenty to me, esp. if you don't indulge in luxuries.

On the subject of a car : you might want to consider taking advantage of the new resident exemption from importation taxes / charges whatever : if you have , or could acquire, a very reliable cheapo UK reg car and bring it over to Portugal with a view to putting it on Port. plates. There are NO cheapo reliable second hand cars in Portugal, in case you were expecting to buy one.

[ Well ,someone will contradict that but I still think you would need luck to find one. ]
Somewhere in the country up Coimbra way was mentioned in a previous thread, so a very good area to make the budget go further

You can get a pretty decent car for 10K, if you don't want anything too big and fancy, but yes, not sure I would go too much lower than that. But would you really want to have the steering wheel on the wrong side just to save a few K?
Old Apr 28th 2022, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

SgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan PT
We actually found HMRC pretty OK on applying split tax year, providing it's clear that you are making a permanent move, not just trying to do some fancy tax dodging. You are right that SRT is a PITA, though for OP, with all current assets in the UK and no planned income in PT until future pension starts being paid, it's probably not too worrying. Worth reading about, but not stressing about
Personal experience is not always indicative of their application of the statue.

The other thing is that PT almost always applies the split year treatment, especially for a newcomer, while in the UK it is more down to the discretion of HMRC, especially when it comes to leavers.

One may find himself dual resident, at least for a period of time, which, among others, may require some extra tax, and certainly some extra money for financial advice, submission of two tax returns, etc.
While for someone with annual income above £XXX,XXX that may not be an issue, for someone with an annual income of, say, £30,000, that could be an extra 5%+ of hidden tax for expenses, which could be easily avoided with a bit more careful planning

Few years ago for a year or so my time was almost equally split between four countries, and I would never go again through the enormous waste of time for reading, advice, enquires, confirmations, emails, etc, etc in the following year, when it came to the annual tax returns, even when there was no source of income from a particular country...
Old Apr 28th 2022, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SgtTroy
Personal experience is not always indicative of their application of the statue.

The other thing is that PT almost always applies the split year treatment, especially for a newcomer, while in the UK it is more down to the discretion of HMRC, especially when it comes to leavers.

One may find himself dual resident, at least for a period of time, which, among others, may require some extra tax, and certainly some extra money for financial advice, submission of two tax returns, etc.
While for someone with annual income above £XXX,XXX that may not be an issue, for someone with an annual income of, say, £30,000, that could be an extra 5%+ of hidden tax for expenses, which could be easily avoided with a bit more careful planning

Few years ago for a year or so my time was almost equally split between four countries, and I would never go again through the enormous waste of time for reading, advice, enquires, confirmations, emails, etc, etc in the following year, when it came to the annual tax returns, even when there was no source of income from a particular country...
Erm, well, it's indicative of how they applied it in our personal experience... But I don't want to get into an argument about it. Perhaps OP would be best advised to check the HMRC guidance and decide for themselves: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-test-srt-rdr3

I'm totally with you on the sheer time wasting and cognitive load of trying to manage too many different things, in too many different places. Despite my desire for simplicity, we currently still have to interact with three different countries, in three different languages and it drives me crazy sometimes!
Old Apr 28th 2022, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

SgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan PT
I'm totally with you on the sheer time wasting and cognitive load of trying to manage too many different things, in too many different places. Despite my desire for simplicity, we currently still have to interact with three different countries, in three different languages and it drives me crazy sometimes!
In my late forties I'm reluctant to experience that level of cognitive load...

A week usually involves communication in at least three languages, now not so much as a necessity, but just to keep in the loop.

Simplicity takes time and requires a clear focus on the priorities.
In a way it is like digitalizing those 80+ folders with various paperwork we had, which I did a while ago - the first dozen was difficult and I thought maybe I'd better still keep this or that on paper, but with the next few dozens I was getting more and more motivated, and finally we now have only five folders with paperwork, everything else is in digital format