Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

An impression of Tavira?

An impression of Tavira?

Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

tower bridge has a spectacular aura abouttower bridge has a spectacular aura abouttower bridge has a spectacular aura about
Default An impression of Tavira?

This forum seems to be popular with people living or having an interest in Tavira and I wonder if any of you have formed an impression on the appearance created by people hanging around outside the Mad hatters bar.
I appreciate with the new smoking rules people have to leave the premises to light up but standing around on the limited public pathway on both sides of the road, some very obviously the worst the wear for drink gives a seedy impression, not a great advert for the Brits in Portugal or indeed Tavira
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 8:58 am
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An impression of Tavira?

Originally Posted by tower bridge
This forum seems to be popular with people living or having an interest in Tavira and I wonder if any of you have formed an impression on the appearance created by people hanging around outside the Mad hatters bar.
I appreciate with the new smoking rules people have to leave the premises to light up but standing around on the limited public pathway on both sides of the road, some very obviously the worst the wear for drink gives a seedy impression, not a great advert for the Brits in Portugal or indeed Tavira
Hear, hear
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

CHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to all
Cool Re: An impression of Tavira?

Was put off going to try that bar when it was described to me as '' you will enjoy going there as its typically English'' sorry not what I am looking for.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

CJ14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, newbie to the forum!

I have an apartment in Tavira and have been across a couple of times now. Can you tell me where the best night life is - british or portuguese!

I have heard mentioned Mad Hatters, Australian Bar, where are these and are there any other good places? I have only spotted Patricks Bar (which was shut when I was over last September) and the other ones around that area.

Many thanks.

CJ
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Joao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CJ14
Hi there, newbie to the forum!

I have an apartment in Tavira and have been across a couple of times now. Can you tell me where the best night life is - british or portuguese!

I have heard mentioned Mad Hatters, Australian Bar, where are these and are there any other good places? I have only spotted Patricks Bar (which was shut when I was over last September) and the other ones around that area.

Many thanks.

CJ
Normally you would have to wait until August for all the extended night life, but last year they started the entertainment in July, so I guess they will do the same this year. Remember nothing really starts going until 10pm at night so better to have a kip on the beach during the afternoon then you can last through the night. I think I am right in saying that places have to close at 2am now, it use to be 4am, but there were problems closing at this time. Also please remember that TAVIRA is not Albufeira, but everyone to their own.
Joao
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

bavarian is an unknown quantity at this point

i went back to Tavira last week, after a couple of months away, and was shocked at the rough looking lot hanging around, and in and out of Mad Hatters... there was a degree of trouble there on a couple of occasions, with smashed glas laying around the next morning.
Apparently the new owner is keen to get the place going.. and so seems to be letting in all the losers that can't get away with hanging around the other bars all day and night, drinking themselves stupid... (although i am sure there is plenty of decent people going in there also.. mustn't tar everyone..)
But i agree, it doesn't look nice in a supposedly up and coming place..
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

lightyear is an unknown quantity at this point

The Black Anchor is a nice bar. The Black Anchor is situated near the roman bridge. If you walk under the arch next to the roman bridge and then continue past the first restuarant you see another restuarant called the beira rio. The Black Anchor is next to the beira rio]

Last edited by lightyear; Apr 23rd 2008 at 6:47 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 9:00 am
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bavarian
i went back to Tavira last week, after a couple of months away, and was shocked at the rough looking lot hanging around, and in and out of Mad Hatters... there was a degree of trouble there on a couple of occasions, with smashed glas laying around the next morning.
Apparently the new owner is keen to get the place going.. and so seems to be letting in all the losers that can't get away with hanging around the other bars all day and night, drinking themselves stupid... (although i am sure there is plenty of decent people going in there also.. mustn't tar everyone..)
But i agree, it doesn't look nice in a supposedly up and coming place..
If that's the case he isn't doing himself any favours. We met up with some friends there a while ago prior to going for a meal. We were not impressed by the loud and very bad language being used, especially as there were young children present, so won't be going back.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

tomw is an unknown quantity at this point

I too have an appartment in Tavira(Garden)And was pleased when Kevin & Sue opened the Mad Hatters Bar.It is a huge inprovement on the last owners effort!Although I have only been in it during the day,I found the people there very agreable.I'm sure you get some rowdyness in all late bars so if you don't like it,don't go.Since Patrics bar closed us old pentioners have missed a place to hang about in and have a beer and a chat.Good luck too Kev & Sue. Tom.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 5:32 pm
C'est la vie

Originally Posted by tomw
I too have an appartment in Tavira(Garden)And was pleased when Kevin & Sue opened the Mad Hatters Bar.It is a huge inprovement on the last owners effort!Although I have only been in it during the day,I found the people there very agreable.I'm sure you get some rowdyness in all late bars so if you don't like it,don't go.Since Patrics bar closed us old pentioners have missed a place to hang about in and have a beer and a chat.Good luck too Kev & Sue. Tom.
I agree about the previous owners' attempts but sorry can't agree about the rowdiness. We went in on a Friday at about 6:30 and the language was foul. There were ladies and children present and such behaviour was not acceptable. So, as you say, I shan't go back.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Nobody begrudges people like yourself, who want to hang out for a beer and a chat any time you feel like it.. i wish i could...
I think we are talking about a particular element, who don't care, or have had a couple too many to realize how ignorant they appear.. or indeed, the depressing effect they are having on the immediate area..
Old Apr 24th 2008, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lightyear
The Black Anchor is a nice bar. The Black Anchor is situated near the roman bridge. If you walk under the arch next to the roman bridge and then continue past the first restuarant you see another restuarant called the beira rio. The Black Anchor is next to the beira rio]
I agree, and Dave is a smashing bloke, who doesn't take any c..p... from the sort that are hanging around outside Mad Hatters. That's why they are all going there..
Old Apr 27th 2008, 6:46 am
Just Joined

tomw is an unknown quantity at this point

p.s..Although he can be a moody old B'stard!!
Old Apr 27th 2008, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

RugbyProp is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: An impression of Tavira?

Hi it is a little unfair to post an impression of a place without actually gleaning the full facts. Whilst you may appreciate the new smoking laws etc etc it takes a while to establish a new bar and to build up a suitable client base. So I am sure you are an authority on running a bar and you will be aware that in Tavira there are a minority of people barred who try it on when a new place opens and all the new bars have been through it. You also have to apply for a license to have table and chairs outside for civilised smokers to partake. It is not just a case of who ever wants a drink can, it is learning from events that have happened. Yes it is an English Bar and it is for people young and old, sports lovers and if you miss good old pie and peas and walkers crisps which from time to time you do. They also do the best burger in Tavira. It is what it is a good old fashioned english pub serving good old fashioned english pub food. So if you miss fish and chips and scampi and chips head to the Madhatters where you will receive a warm welcome and smoke free atmosphere with the best view in town. Don't knock it, help build a good reputation and make constructive suggestions. Don't hide behind comments go in help. It has only been open since 1st March.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 4:27 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RugbyProp
Hi it is a little unfair to post an impression of a place without actually gleaning the full facts. Whilst you may appreciate the new smoking laws etc etc it takes a while to establish a new bar and to build up a suitable client base. So I am sure you are an authority on running a bar and you will be aware that in Tavira there are a minority of people barred who try it on when a new place opens and all the new bars have been through it. You also have to apply for a license to have table and chairs outside for civilised smokers to partake. It is not just a case of who ever wants a drink can, it is learning from events that have happened. Yes it is an English Bar and it is for people young and old, sports lovers and if you miss good old pie and peas and walkers crisps which from time to time you do. They also do the best burger in Tavira. It is what it is a good old fashioned english pub serving good old fashioned english pub food. So if you miss fish and chips and scampi and chips head to the Madhatters where you will receive a warm welcome and smoke free atmosphere with the best view in town. Don't knock it, help build a good reputation and make constructive suggestions. Don't hide behind comments go in help. It has only been open since 1st March.
It almost sounds like you are the owner
I will let it go tho,as you have a right to defend yourself i guess
(Bit close to an advert!!)

Last edited by Cleri; Apr 27th 2008 at 5:02 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.