Import car

Old Jun 2nd 2021, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough
Default Import car

We would like to import a car we just bought in France. We live in Portugal since 4 years now.
Do you where I can find what it will cost me to import a car? I read that as of 2021 it is less expensive to import a car.
It is a Dacia Duster and I use the following site, but it still cost a fortune: https://impostosobreveiculos.info/isv/simulador-isv/

Thanks

Last edited by Pilou; Jun 2nd 2021 at 6:08 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Import car

yes??????
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

See my question above.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilou
We would like to import a car we just bought in France. We live in Portugal since 4 years now.
Do you where I can find what it will cost me to import a car? I read that as of 2021 it is less expensive to import a car.
It is a Dacia Duster and I use the following site, but it still cost a fortune: https://impostosobreveiculos.info/isv/simulador-isv/

Thanks
Yes ! It does cost a lot , the only low cost option is bring one with you when you first move here as long as you have owned it for six months before you come. If you want to go ahead the site you have visited is the right one, following that find a good customs agent who can give you full details . Portugal has consistently ignored EU pressure to reduce its taxation base for imported cars in spite of losing several court cases.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Yes ! It does cost a lot , the only low cost option is bring one with you when you first move here as long as you have owned it for six months before you come. If you want to go ahead the site you have visited is the right one, following that find a good customs agent who can give you full details . Portugal has consistently ignored EU pressure to reduce its taxation base for imported cars in spite of losing several court cases.
Thanks!
We just bought a car in France with the purpose to use the car in France during our holidays. But we were curious to see what it would cost to import the car and sell our car on Portugese plates. The cost were more than 2500 EUR and that is a lot of money.

Old Jun 3rd 2021, 9:45 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

2500 is peanuts compared to what I have been quoted ............over 5 grand............for importing a UK reg Clio from 2006, low emissions, whatever. Still ov er five grand.
The thing that puzzles me is.............is the Portuguese government actually receiving more than a trickle of revenue from these swingeing taxes ?
I would imagine the numbers prepared to pay scarcely reach three figures a year, but it would be interesting to know.

Does anyone have any experience , or know of anyone with such, of importing a UK reg car since Brexit, and not claiming the new resident exemption ?
Old Jun 3rd 2021, 1:22 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

It's not supposed to be a revenue-raising measure. The government gets revenus from the new cars that are put into circulation each year.

What it doesn't want is for Portugal to become a dumping ground for cheap imports of higher-polluting, old discards from elsewhere, which are cheaper because they aren't taxed as much at the outset and have depreciated since.
Old Jun 3rd 2021, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Except Portugal is full of old, knackered high ,polluting non turbocharged engines from the 80s and 90s.
Just look at the cars that run around here, most should have been scrapped a decade ago, totally unsafe.
Old Jun 3rd 2021, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
Just look at the cars that run around here, most should have been scrapped a decade ago, totally unsafe.
A 30 year old car is just as safe as a 4 year old car, they both have gone through the IPO test, but don't let facts influence your opinion.
Old Jun 3rd 2021, 7:20 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
Except Portugal is full of old, knackered high ,polluting non turbocharged engines from the 80s and 90s.
Except nothing. If new cars bought in Portugal at a high cost are re-sold within Portugal at a price that reflects the initial outlay, that doesn't skew the internal market.

If it's exposed to dumping of 2nd hand cars from other nations at prices way below the domestic 2nd hand market, it does. And this country doesn't need that kind of exposure to outside forces.
Old Jun 4th 2021, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
And this country doesn't need that kind of exposure to outside forces.
That's debatable!

The Portuguese IPO is very strict, anything that can pass it is close to as safe as it was when built.
Which isn't saying much for really old cars, but those built within the last 15-20 years have crumple zones and airbags at least.

Importing a car into Portugal is unlikely to be worthwhile after the costs, trouble, stress, and risk.
My advice is to have cash at the ready, keep an eye on the adverts, and find a bargain locally.

The roads here are never salted and modern cars are not as sensitive to miles as the older ones were.
I have a 1998 petrol Mercedes with 360,000 km on it that runs great and passes emissions tests without a problem.
Old Jun 4th 2021, 2:47 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

Well I wouldn't deliberately bring a car to Portugal just to re plate it on Portuguese plates.

However, in my case, the car in question was brought in for the 6 month hols purposes, in 2019, and ended up stranded because of Covid.
So it is already physically in Portugal ( albeit off road ) and would cost a grand or so to transport back to the UK.

PLUS it is highly reliable , full leather trim and whatnot, so if it could be replated it would suit me more than taking a risk buying second hand. My garageman insists I got v lucky with the 2006 Clio.

According to https://impostosobreveiculos.info/isv/simulador-isv/
the man who runs this helpful website the Agencies which quoted me 4 or 5 grand were in error and it should cost less.

However, I have so far drawn a blank at two Agencies...........neither wishes to take on the work, which I suppose must be more complicated for vehs from outside the E.U. ?

Anyone know of any AgĂȘncia which is prepared to undertake the more difficult ( if it is ) cases ?
Old Jul 19th 2021, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

MandyG is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd also be interested in finding an agency willing to take on a similar job, so hoping someone can help you....and in turn.....me!
Old Jul 19th 2021, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Dafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really nice

Originally Posted by riv
Well I wouldn't deliberately bring a car to Portugal just to re plate it on Portuguese plates.

However, in my case, the car in question was brought in for the 6 month hols purposes, in 2019, and ended up stranded because of Covid.
So it is already physically in Portugal ( albeit off road ) and would cost a grand or so to transport back to the UK.

PLUS it is highly reliable , full leather trim and whatnot, so if it could be replated it would suit me more than taking a risk buying second hand. My garageman insists I got v lucky with the 2006 Clio.

According to https://impostosobreveiculos.info/isv/simulador-isv/
the man who runs this helpful website the Agencies which quoted me 4 or 5 grand were in error and it should cost less.

However, I have so far drawn a blank at two Agencies...........neither wishes to take on the work, which I suppose must be more complicated for vehs from outside the E.U. ?

Anyone know of any AgĂȘncia which is prepared to undertake the more difficult ( if it is ) cases ?
Where are you in Portugal?
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 6:17 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

I'm in Eastern Algarve. Know any good Agency ? Up to a point I am prepared to 'bite the bullet' on what I regard as mad taxes, as the alternative is to haul it back to the UK and all that palaver . I just don't think I would get a car in similar condition here for six grand..........Leastways I don't know how to go about it.

At least with the Clio I know it's in v good condition and might well last another five years without trouble. Plus it's here already ! Just needs the Plates, lol.

What i don't want is to engage an Agency which takes a couple of grand off me to start the process and then finds out half way through that there 's some technical or other reason why it can't be done. ? Changing the headlights ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.