Reload this Page >

I want to buy a tractor.

Wikiposts

I want to buy a tractor.

Old Apr 22nd 2015, 3:20 am
Time is always a problem

jogl will become famous soon enoughjogl will become famous soon enough
Default I want to buy a tractor.

i have near on 4 acres of unruly rustic land in the Central Algarve which I would like to tame, if only to reduce the fire risk. At the same time I enjoy pottering about working. So the idea of a tractor came to mind.

I know absolutely nothing about how to select the right tractor.

Can anybody offer some advice?

Thanks
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want to buy a tractor.

I purchased a new John Deere 7 years ago for domestic use (very large lawns) and delighted with it. Sounds like you're after something more agricultural though.
A quick Google threw up THIS, certainly just one of many sites offering buyers guide.
Some more useful info HERE.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Apr 22nd 2015 at 4:00 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

A look around this site will hopefully help you pricewise
Main site

Used Tractors for sale | Agriaffaires UK

Farm tractors select Portugal in the geographic search

Farm Tractors - Used and New | Agriaffaires UK
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I bought an 30 year old SAME from the [now closed] John Deer dealer in Beja.
Why I chose this one; it was within my budget E5000] and it had a front end loader.
I find the loader to be incredibly useful, much more than I'd thought. I have a bucket and forklift [that also fits on the 3-point hitch].
Another oft asked question is 4wd or not? I didn't want to pay extra for 4wd, because my sandy soil is pretty easy. but it had 4wd, and again, I'm very happy to have it. Evey now and then, I need it, and without it I'd be stuck.
I imported a 'topper' from the UK [did it all online, had it delivered] for cutting grass and brush. it's a massive lawnmower as well as a tough brush cutter.
Make sure it has a Roll Over Protection Structure [roll bar], or that you can get one for it. I made my own, but it is said you should have a factory built, properly engineered one. Tractor accidents are common, so be safe!

Old Apr 22nd 2015, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jogl
i have near on 4 acres of unruly rustic land in the Central Algarve which I would like to tame, if only to reduce the fire risk. At the same time I enjoy pottering about working. So the idea of a tractor came to mind.

I know absolutely nothing about how to select the right tractor.

Can anybody offer some advice?

Thanks
I have roughly the same amount of land, I don't think I have enough to justify a tractor for sure... But I was thinking of a quad with attachments, got to way more useful and fun?!
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Someone asked me why I need a tractor; I told him I don't need a tractor, I WANT a tractor.
It really depends on what you want to do; there are some mowers that can be towed by a quad bike, but you're talking about a little toy compared to an agricultural tractor.
Want to move around some big boxes? lift a ton? plow a field? Mow 3 acres in an hour [ok, 2 hours]? pull a fallen tree out of the woods? dig a hole, push down old trees, rip up brambles and brush...
I even have a high reach hedge cutter [I'm very fond of this].
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Strange contraption there liveabroad, did you get that of the mad max film set?!

You're right about the tractor vs quad, our land is almost all forestry where as someone w th the same amount of land that was fields would for sure want a tractor. Oh and I want a toy I guess!
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Actually, I built it myself. I'm a bit of a DIY man.
I also have about a hectare of forest, that's where I'm really glad for a tractor; when a tree falls or I want to take one out. Also I use the forklift to support the trunk while I cut it up, and carry the wood home [or out to a clearing to burn if the tree was diseased].
With fields If you're not planting you don't need to plow, just cut it back every now and then.
Of course you need to park the thing somewhere, and it's one more thing to look after.
Prices for used ones have come down quite a lot in the last few years, but second hand implements [attachments] are very expensive here in Portugal.
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look here.

trator Portugal

Easy to get delivered.

http://www.olx.pt/q/pasquali/c-380

These are smaller.

Last edited by Ingles; Apr 22nd 2015 at 8:16 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 12:22 am
Time is always a problem

Thanks for the responses so far.

I can really resonate with 'I WANT a tractor'

So I have been wandering through Google and have a number of specific questions:

What horse power should I look for in a tractor that could pull a disc harrow? I usually get one of the local farmers to scarify my land once a year but his tractor is huge.

Is the power take off at the rear of the tractor a universal fitting or is it a case of john Deere only fits John Deere?

I should think servicing is relatively easy, after all everything is on show. Am I right?

I've seen some tractors that are matriculated for road use. Is the process of change of ownership/re-registering the same as a car? And are matriculated tractors subject to a yearly IPO?

Now when I come to check one out I'll ask for it to be started. Check for oil leaks, check for excessive smoke at the exhaust, check for water leaks. What more should I check for?

Your advice is welcome
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

If you drive from Faro airport to the motorway through the village of Chelote. (on the alternative road to the road past the Algarve Stadium) There is a place with a wide variety of tractors for sale about 1km past Chelote
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Very impressive Liveabroad!

What are upkeep costs like though for those who won't be doing repairs themselves? Mate of mine as a small to medium sized tractor and he has been moaing recently about costs, had an oil leak and got a new clutch... over a grand gone! then the clutch cable went... 140€ for a clutch cable! (which seems silly money)
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 4:30 am
Time is always a problem

Originally Posted by guesswork
If you drive from Faro airport to the motorway through the village of Chelote. (on the alternative road to the road past the Algarve Stadium) There is a place with a wide variety of tractors for sale about 1km past Chelote
That's the very place where I have to spend time drooling (that's if it's the one close to the algarve auction house). I haven't been in yet only driven at speed past it.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

some very good questions, I will answer those I can.

1;What horse power should I look for in a tractor that could pull a disc harrow? I usually get one of the local farmers to scarify my land once a year but his tractor is huge.
It depends on the harrow and your soil; figure 40HP.
I have one I'll sell for 450 [it's OLD, but still functions].

2; Is the power take off at the rear of the tractor a universal fitting or is it a case of john Deere only fits John Deere?
Generally speaking, they're all interchangeable. there are some oddball chinese ones that are not compatible with anything.

3;I should think servicing is relatively easy, after all everything is on show. Am I right?
It's hard for me to say because these things are easy for me; but with an old machine, you might need to rebuild the alternator, or the brakes, or diagnose electrical faults. Changing the oil is easy.

4;I've seen some tractors that are matriculated for road use. Is the process of change of ownership/re-registering the same as a car? And are matriculated tractors subject to a yearly IPO?
Yes, the same as a car. no road tax or IPO, but you do need insurance to drive on the public road. The cops are quite strict if you venture onto the EN roads, but are usually fairly easy about tractors on country roads. your lights should work, especially the indicators.

Now when I come to check one out I'll ask for it to be started. Check for oil leaks, check for excessive smoke at the exhaust, check for water leaks. What more should I check for?
Check the hydraulic oil; if it's white like milk it hasn't been changed for a long time.
If the motor is very clean [has just been washed] let it run for 10 minutes before looking for leaks.
A couple of tips for buying old tractors from my neighbor "Bulldozer" Jose;
Look at the surfaces of the brake and clutch pedals. are the little steel pyramids still sticking up, or are they worn smooth with a zillion hours of use?
Check the ball joints at the rear of the 3-point hitch. If they were heavily used and wore out, new ones will have been welded on. When new, the arms are 1 piece with no weld near the end [mine is replaced AND totally worn out!].
Some brands are known to be really good [john deer and Massey Ferguson], but most have good models and not so good models, so it depends on the particular year and type as well as the maker. For instance, my SAME is one of the few really tough ones they made [pure luck, I had no idea when I bought it].
Don't be afraid of it being too big; you get used to it very quickly. But a bigger tractor won't get into some spots a smaller one will.
The 'mini tractors' need special implements that are hard to come by.
I've almost never seen an old tractor in Portugal that didn't have totally worn out tires.

Labor here is quite reasonable [for repairs] but parts prices are very variable.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 6:22 pm
Time is always a problem

Liveaboard - outstanding reply, thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.