Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

I dont know where to start!

I dont know where to start!

Old Jun 9th 2008, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Queen_B is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation I dont know where to start!

Hi everyone, im in need of some major help.

My mum and dad have asked me to look into everything for moving to portugal but if im being honest, i dont know where to start! I dont know what to look for first!

They told me they want to live in

Albufeira, Lagos or Faro and thats great, good for them but that doesnt help me find things out! Can someone please help me? Tell me where to start looking for stuff?

Im really sorry to ask this cause i know its a really big thing but im really lost.

Thanks everyone.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

kentaylor is just really nicekentaylor is just really nicekentaylor is just really nicekentaylor is just really nicekentaylor is just really nicekentaylor is just really nicekentaylor is just really nicekentaylor is just really nice
Default Re: I dont know where to start!

I WOULD BEGIN BY LOOKING AT ENGLISH PAPERS ONLINE IE PORTUGAL NEWS /ALGARVE RESIDENT WILL GIVE YOU AN IDEA WHATS GOES ON IN PORTUGAL
HOPE THIS GIVES YOU A STARTING POINT
Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

One of the first things you will need to know about is housing. Do your parents intend to buy or rent. Another is whether or not they wish a car. I always find as Confucious says the longest journey starts with the first step. So break it down and do one thing at a time. Ask specific questions and you will find the people on here only too willing to help. PARENTS, who would have them.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

They pick the perfect day to ask me to look for all this. Im off work sick lol.

Dad said he wants to rent first. So where do i find places to rent? And dad would be the one driving. Even though he hates it. But yeah, a car would be on the "need to have" list. How do i do that?

Gosh, i swear im not some stupid lil girl, even though it sounds like it right now. Im just not thinking right.

I dont know what questions to ask! There would have to be a school near by, that much i do know. I will ask dad questions when i see him tonight and see what i get outta him.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

As has been suggested look at some papers online. try
http://www.portugalresident.com/port.../frontpage.asp
and http://www.the-news.net/
They both contain adverts for estate agents
Old Jun 9th 2008, 10:37 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a Paypal account you can subscribe to the classified section of the Algarve resident pretty cheaply. There's loads of rental properties there. Also, some of the Holiday Home sites are prepared to do long lets but they can be expensive.

How old are your folks?

PS Welcome to the forum by the way
Old Jun 10th 2008, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Green_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud of

I take it they know the Algarve. I would also suggest pointing them in the direction of the library and borrowing some books like Living and Working in Portugal and any of the books they have on buying / renting property. You can also get them on Amazon for example or any of the other online booksellers and your local book shop. Suggest they might like to subscribe to Portugal Magazine too and maybe get some back copies.

Think you need to start at the beginning and ask all what seems as dumb questions. Such as Why? What are you looking for? Close to the sea or in the country?

It's big step and the mindset and planning are they keys
Old Jun 10th 2008, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Thanks for those links, brodev! Im going to check them out right now.

derbyflan - My Dad is 44 and my mum is 38.

Green_shutters - Thanks for that idea! I will get onto amazon too.

Dont know what i would have done if i hadnt found this place. The parents kinda just looked at me and hit me with finding all the stuff out for them.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

steppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of light

So will they need to work?

Sorry to be so blunt but it makes a HUGE difference when deciding where to live.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by steppitoe
So will they need to work?

Sorry to be so blunt but it makes a HUGE difference when deciding where to live.
Mum wants to do what she done here and get a lil pub or something and dad works at some company driving all over england and scotland to deliver things.

Im so sorry to ask for so much help. Its just that with school and work, i have no time to try and work this out.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 5:55 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Queen_B
Mum wants to do what she done here and get a lil pub or something and dad works at some company driving all over england and scotland to deliver things.

Im so sorry to ask for so much help. Its just that with school and work, i have no time to try and work this out.
Can I ask how old you are?

Seems that you're the one feeling the pressure of this more than your parents are when clearly they're the ones who'll get all of the benefit?

Sorry if that sounds a bit blunt but...... well, I'm 44 (same age as your old fella) and have a daughter who's 20 this Saturday. I wouldn't expect her to be doing this much research for me Infact, why should she?
Old Jun 10th 2008, 6:02 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by derbyflan
Can I ask how old you are?

Seems that you're the one feeling the pressure of this more than your parents are when clearly they're the ones who'll get all of the benefit?

Sorry if that sounds a bit blunt but...... well, I'm 44 (same age as your old fella) and have a daughter who's 20 this Saturday. I wouldn't expect her to be doing this much research for me Infact, why should she?
I thought it..........you said it
Old Jun 10th 2008, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

Aw gosh, dont worry bout being blunt, its ok. Ask away.

Im 18. My dad doesnt go well with computers, he seems to bring out the bad in them. Plus he doesnt get home till around 8/9/10 at night, so hes really tired and sometimes just wants food and bed. So he doesnt really have time to search.

Mum can use the computer no problem but, like dad, has to find the time. Atleast for me, my work and college means im mostly on here searching for stuff so its easy for me to kinda pop in and outta college, work stuff and here.

I really do feel like im the one with the pressure since ive also got to plan their wedding too. And its in november. And they wont agree on anything. So im kinda all over the place right now and i just feel really lost.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 6:14 pm
ex-squaddie

Originally Posted by Queen_B
Aw gosh, dont worry bout being blunt, its ok. Ask away.

Im 18. My dad doesnt go well with computers, he seems to bring out the bad in them. Plus he doesnt get home till around 8/9/10 at night, so hes really tired and sometimes just wants food and bed. So he doesnt really have time to search.

Mum can use the computer no problem but, like dad, has to find the time. Atleast for me, my work and college means im mostly on here searching for stuff so its easy for me to kinda pop in and outta college, work stuff and here.

I really do feel like im the one with the pressure since ive also got to plan their wedding too. And its in november. And they wont agree on anything. So im kinda all over the place right now and i just feel really lost.

Blimey!

Well...... there are peeps here who'll do all they can to help with your Portugal research. They've been there and done it all before so I'm sure you'll be okay. Can't help with wedding plans though But at the end of the day your parents will obviously have to get involved in planning their own future. Maybe you might suggest that they take you away for a trip around the Algarve?? At least you'll be getting some reward for your hard work!
Old Jun 10th 2008, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by derbyflan

Blimey!

Well...... there are peeps here who'll do all they can to help with your Portugal research. They've been there and done it all before so I'm sure you'll be okay. Can't help with wedding plans though But at the end of the day your parents will obviously have to get involved in planning their own future. Maybe you might suggest that they take you away for a trip around the Algarve?? At least you'll be getting some reward for your hard work!
Thank you so much! You have no idea how much it means to me to know there are people who can help AND people who wont shout at me for asking so many questions.

The wedding thing is only a problem cause of my parents not being able to agree. Ive done a few weddings before, so im not as bad as i once was.

A trip sounds SO good! Ive only ever been to the Algarve once and it was only for a week, so maybe i should ask for two weeks there? Lol.

Last edited by Queen_B; Jun 10th 2008 at 7:04 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.