Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

How I got a Proof of Address/Atestado de Residência from a Junta de Freguesia

Wikiposts

How I got a Proof of Address/Atestado de Residência from a Junta de Freguesia

Old Jul 9th 2020, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How I got a Proof of Address/Atestado de Residência from a Junta de Freguesi

Originally Posted by suiko
Why not? There's no reason (s) couldn't go away and come back for the 28th, no?

Knowing about the atestado at the freguesia is very useful for me, as it seems it will obviate the need for a rental contract.

Obviously the 90 day things remains the same.
We could rent an air B & B if we get there in time.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How I got a Proof of Address/Atestado de Residência from a Junta de Freguesi

Ha, it's so cold here, I must be thinking it's October! When you said you had an appointment on July 28th, I was thinking you meant next year. Me
Old Jul 9th 2020, 7:52 am
cfs
Forum Regular

cfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond repute

Why not? There's no reason one couldn't go away and come back for the 28th, no?
If I went away until the 28th then I run the risk of resetting the 90 days clock as I have been led to believe they have a record of when I entered the country as I presented my British passport when I went through immigration at Lisbon airport

Bons: it is most definitely summer here, has been in the 30s most of this week

Red Eric: yeah, I'm fluent in Portuguese

Suiko: I booked an Airbnb for a month, I was going to do 3 month's so I wouldn't have a problem with the 90 days but then I had doubts about whether the Airbnb contract would be accepted plus it was so expensive compared to the normal rental market and I was worried that it would have made too big a dent in my finances if I was asked to provide proof of funds. Another reason I booked an Airbnb was that when I bought the flight I wasn't sure if I was going to have to self-isolate for 14 days or not, so I rented a studio flat so I could go into lockdown. However, in the end that wasn't a requirement for entering Portugal.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cfs
If I went away until the 28th then I run the risk of resetting the 90 days clock as I have been led to believe they have a record of when I entered the country as I presented my British passport when I went through immigration at Lisbon airport
Does anyone else have a view on this? Is there a chance entries and exits are correlated to residency applications? Surely they shouldn't be, given that continuous residence isn't a requirement? I'm intending to come for a week to do this, then go back to UK (and come again soon if necessary to pick up documents, or a couple of months later if not).
Old Jul 9th 2020, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone else have a view on this? Is there a chance entries and exits are correlated to residency applications? Surely they shouldn't be, given that continuous residence isn't a requirement? I'm intending to come for a week to do this, then go back to UK (and come again soon if necessary to pick up documents, or a couple of months later if not).
I hope you are aware that this could also be seen as fraud, if you register as a resident but actually have your ties in the UK. There might be many clever people popping over now securing a rental and going back to the UK, but how do you know it's actually lawful? I haven't looked into it but one should be aware.
You will be covered by the Withdrawal Agreement if you are a UK national lawfully residing in another EU country by the end of the transition period, on 31 December 2020.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm going to be resident. Naturally it takes some time to untie one's ties to one's previous country of residence
Old Jul 9th 2020, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I hope you are aware that this could also be seen as fraud, if you register as a resident but actually have your ties in the UK. There might be many clever people popping over now securing a rental and going back to the UK, but how do you know it's actually lawful? I haven't looked into it but one should be aware.
You will be covered by the Withdrawal Agreement if you are a UK national lawfully residing in another EU country by the end of the transition period, on 31 December 2020.
You can find what is lawful/legal by reading laws of land. Its all in black and white, nothing hidden.
https://imigrante.sef.pt/en/brexit/
Just like in UK, all arrivals/departures are recorded by SEF in PT. SEF wasnt created yesterday!
Old Jul 9th 2020, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EU.flag
You can find what is lawful/legal by reading laws of land. Its all in black and white, nothing hidden.
https://imigrante.sef.pt/en/brexit/
Just like in UK, all arrivals/departures are recorded by SEF in PT. SEF wasnt created yesterday!
I know that and europa.eu is the better page but you are not a resident if your main residence is still in the UK when you apply. It is different if you then visit the UK once you were resident:

The Withdrawal Agreement does not require physical presence in the host state at the end of the transition period – temporary absences that do not affect the right of residence and longer absences that do not affect the right of permanent residence are accepted.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jul 9th 2020 at 11:06 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, EU flag. But as always, not all is quite transparent

How do you interpret applying for residency and then going back to UK for a while? It does state that "The Withdrawal Agreement does not require physical attendance of the host Member State at the end of the transitional period. The temporary absences (less than six consecutive months) do not compromise the right of permanent residence."
Old Jul 10th 2020, 2:35 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

How do you interpret applying for residency and then going back to UK for a while?
It's not "applying for residency" as such.

If you're exercising your rights of FoM under the EU treaties, you have a right to be in any other member state for up to 90 days without being required to complete any formalities. During that period you may eg begin work or start on setting up a business or whatever. Beyond that, you may be required (as in Portugal) to register your presence. This formalises your position but you're still not requesting permission - you're exercising a right.

Unless you are, or intend to be, in the country for a period of longer than 90 days, you shouldn't be requesting a registration of residency certificate.
Old Jul 10th 2020, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

I am intending to be, on a permanent basis. But obviously this is going to take a bit of time.
Old Jul 10th 2020, 3:09 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I am intending to be, on a permanent basis. But obviously this is going to take a bit of time.
Sure - I've been reading your posts and refrained from commenting on that aspect for that reason.

I'm just pointing out the way it is for EU citizens now you've asked, and I'll leave you to make your own judgements about what's appropriate for you.