Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

How I got a Proof of Address/Atestado de Residência from a Junta de Freguesia

How I got a Proof of Address/Atestado de Residência from a Junta de Freguesia

Old Jul 9th 2020, 6:34 am
cfs
Forum Regular

cfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond repute
Default How I got a Proof of Address/Atestado de Residência from a Junta de Freguesia

Here's a guide to how I got a proof of address/atestado de residência from a Junta de Freguesia in Porto.
When I arrived in Porto I found out that my local junta was closed because of corona virus. I was at a complete loss about what to do. Then I found this site on google for an organisation called the National Immigrant Support Centre (CNAI):

https://www.acm.gov.pt/-/cnai-centro-nacional-de-apoio-ao-imigrante

There was a list of contact emails and phone numbers so I sent the one based in the North an email ([email protected]) and they replied almost immediately explaining that the Juntas were closed but I could book an appointment at the 'Head' Junta (União de Freguesias Centro Histórico do Porto) to get the document. They included a phone number (222 057 495) and an email address ([email protected]).

I sent an email to the 'Head' Junta and it took 2 working days to get a reply giving me an appointment 2 days later at Edifício Santo Ildefonso, Rua Gonçalo Cristóvão, 187, Porto 4000-265. They sent me a form to complete and take with me and told me that the cost was 4 euros. The form can be found here (Avisos | União de Freguesias Centro Histórico do Porto) just click on 'Requerimento Atestados'.

Up until this point I was under the impression that I needed to physically take 2 witnesses with me to the appointment to sign the form. However, now that I was in possession of the form I could see that this would not be necessary. I asked the owner of the Airbnb if she would be a witness for me and she agreed, putting her husband as the second witness. They both signed the form and gave me photocopies of their Citzen Cards/Cartão do Cidadão to include with the form. I went to the appointment, taking the completed form, the photocopies from the witnesses as well as my passport and a photocopy of my passport (I also had a copy of my NIF and a letter from a Portuguese bank with the address I had printed from the internet as backup). In the part on the form that asks for the reason for requesting the Proof of Address I put that I was going to use it to request a Certificate of Residence for a European Citizen.

When I arrived the building appeared to be closed but I rang the interphone and they checked that I had an appointment then the employee came and opened the door for me. The employee took the form, the witness photocopies and my passport. She was going to photocopy my passport but as I had taken a photocopy with me she took that one. She did not ask for any other documents. She asked my why I wanted the Proof of Address and I said it was to apply for a Certificate of Residence. She asked me if it was OK to put that on the form and I said it was. She then made the point of asking me if I was going to use the form for other reasons and I said I would also take it to Finanças to update my address and to the Health Service to get a user number. She told me she would just write "Certificate of Residence" on the document and that I should ask to keep the original document and only hand over a photocopy at the Town Hall, Finanças, Health Service etc. and then I could use the same document multiple times. She also advised me that the Proof of Address only had a validity of 30 days.

She typed all the details in the computer, charged me 4 euros and printed, signed and stamped the Proof of Address. She got me to check all the details were correct before I left. Everything was Ok and she then took me back to the front door and let me out the building. It took 20 minutes from start to finish.

I hope the above is of help to someone, even if they are doing the same procedure in another city.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How I got a Proof of Address/Atestado de Residência from a Junta de Freguesi

Thanks so much for the information. How long have you been in Portugal?
Old Jul 9th 2020, 8:03 am
cfs
Forum Regular

cfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How I got a Proof of Address/Atestado de Residência from a Junta de Freguesi

You're welcome, have only been here for 12 days
Old Jul 9th 2020, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cfs
You're welcome, have only been here for 12 days
Ther is hope for us all. Well, at least those of us who want to get to Portugal before deadlilne day. Do you now have to stay continously in Portugal until next year?
Old Jul 9th 2020, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Great info post!
So you did this about 10 days ago? Just wondering if the office and in other locations -Lisbon and Faro - are now walk ins or better to book as per your experience regardless. (if an option)
Old Jul 9th 2020, 8:50 am
cfs
Forum Regular

Bons: No, I have to stay until I get the Certificate of Residence for a European Citizen. Then I can leave as long as I spend six months of the year here. I phoned the Câmara Municipal yesterday and got an appointment on the 28th July, so hope to get certificate then, which would be 30 days after entering Portugal. If I don't get it then I will have to wait 90 days after entry

Campos: I got the Proof of Address yesterday, this is my timeframe:

Thursday 02/07 emailed CNAIM
Thursday 02/07 got reply from CNAIM
Friday 03/07 emailed Junta
Monday 06/07 got reply from Junta giving me an appointment on 08/07
Wednesday 08/07 went to Junta and Proof of Address was issued on the spot
Old Jul 9th 2020, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cfs
Bons: No, I have to stay until I get the Certificate of Residence for a European Citizen. Then I can leave as long as I spend six months of the year here. I phoned the Câmara Municipal yesterday and got an appointment on the 28th July, so hope to get certificate then, which would be 30 days after entering Portugal. If I don't get it then I will have to wait 90 days after entry

Campos: I got the Proof of Address yesterday, this is my timeframe:

Thursday 02/07 emailed CNAIM
Thursday 02/07 got reply from CNAIM
Friday 03/07 emailed Junta
Monday 06/07 got reply from Junta giving me an appointment on 08/07
Wednesday 08/07 went to Junta and Proof of Address was issued on the spot

Your my hero!!! Is your address in Porto? So you have to stay ukntil July next year?

Last edited by bons; Jul 9th 2020 at 8:57 am.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 9:00 am
cfs
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bons
Your my hero!!! Is your address in Porto? So you have to stay ukntil July next year?
Yeah, am in Porto. My understanding is you can come in and out as often as you like as long as you spend 183 days or more in the country within a 12-month period for tax residency purposes.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cfs
Yeah, am in Porto. My understanding is you can come in and out as often as you like as long as you spend 183 days or more in the country within a 12-month period for tax residency purposes.
So you could leave bofore December 31st? Interesting.
Old Jul 9th 2020, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it the case that you ALWAYS have to have the Atestado from the freguesia, or does the Camara sometimes not ask for this? Wondering whether to plan to go to the freguesia first...
Old Jul 9th 2020, 11:00 am
cfs
Forum Regular

Suiko: if you have a rental contract then that would be sufficient, you wouldn't need the Atestado. My problem was I am in an Airbnb until I get a place to rent so I don't have a rental contract and the Airbnb 'contract' does not appear to accepted anywhere in Porto. That is why I am doing things in this order

Bons: technically you could sort out all the paperwork and then once you get residency you could just leave for a while
Old Jul 9th 2020, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ah! Now I see! That's great to know, because I am anticipating having the same issue (I'm planning on maybe doing a three or six month Air B&B rental). So it looks like I'll have to take the same route. How long is your rental?

Old Jul 9th 2020, 1:22 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cfs
Precisely.

So the scenario bons has been enquiring about is not resolved, as she appears to think, by the acquisition of an attestation, although it would be an important step for her should the Câmara in her chosen area not issue her with a registration certificate pronto. The crucial point then would be would they be able to issue one to her post 31st December and would it have the date of commencement of residence as pre 31st December or post. Something she would actually be best off addressing to the SEF for a clarification in writing if possible.

You, of course, have the luxury of considerably more time on your side and (I assume) fluent Portuguese helping to clear any obstacles you might encounter.

Anyway, I'll refrain from saying any more on the matter unless something new comes up as we seem to be going over similar ground on multiple occasions. There shouldn't be anything startlingly new to our new arrivals about the attestation, which has been mentioned several times to them already.

Good, solid info about how to obtain one from you, though
Old Jul 9th 2020, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cfs
Suiko: if you have a rental contract then that would be sufficient, you wouldn't need the Atestado. My problem was I am in an Airbnb until I get a place to rent so I don't have a rental contract and the Airbnb 'contract' does not appear to accepted anywhere in Porto. That is why I am doing things in this order

Bons: technically you could sort out all the paperwork and then once you get residency you could just leave for a while
Could you leave Portugal now though?
Old Jul 9th 2020, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Why not? There's no reason one couldn't go away and come back for the 28th, no?

Knowing about the atestado at the freguesia is very useful for me, as it seems it will obviate the need for a rental contract.

Obviously the 90 day things remains the same.

Last edited by suiko; Jul 9th 2020 at 2:40 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.