Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

How do real estate agents work in Portugal?

How do real estate agents work in Portugal?

Old Apr 22nd 2019, 9:02 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do real estate agents work in Portugal?

Originally Posted by Stephenwonders
Bom Dia,

Could someone on this thread please explain what it means when a property is listed as not have a licence and that it would be the buyers responsibility to obtain a licence? Can properties lose the licence? I am looking at properties that have been lived in and are 5,10 or over 20 years old but are listed as not having a licence. Some are also listed as bank properties and has if some of the fittings have been removed. I know this happens in the UK when a property is re-possessed sometimes by the dis possessed owners.
It almost certainly means they are "illegal", i.e. have been built or extended without following the planning process. The final step of this process is to get a habitation license from the local Camara - but if the build is illegal, this will cause you many headaches and a wad of cash. Without such a license, you would be liable to a heavy fine and will find it difficult to sell the property. I would advise you to stay well clear....
The fact that they may be repossessions means nothing - if they were the only seizable asset, then the bank will take them and sell them on for whatever they can get.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

A house without a habitation license is not a house; it's just a pile of bricks [or whatever].
When legal, the property has a FAR higher sale value; so you can bet that if it was possible to obtain the license, the seller would have done so.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Stephenwonders is an unknown quantity at this point

It is quite stark how many houses there on on real estate websites stating no current licence. These properties are more of less worthless surely.

Obrigado
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 11:59 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephenwonders
It is quite stark how many houses there on on real estate websites stating no current licence. These properties are more of less worthless surely.

Obrigado
There is (was?) an odd notion in Portuguese law of "usufruir".... that is to enjoy the benefit of something, without "owning" it or to enjoy something on a temporary basis.
Poor people often built on land they did not own and subdivision and leases were strictly controlled, so they owned the building, but not the property.
They might reach an agreement with the owner of the land that they could "enjoy the benefit" of the the house, but could not sell it.
The extension to cover buildings not approved or licensed is a natural progression..... though it seems odd and risky to us.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 11:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angalfaria
Hi Everyone,
I want a villa for rent to spend my vacation. I need a real estate broker suggestion.
If you only want to rent a holiday villa, you don't need a real estate broker. They're for buying property.

Just check out Air BnB or similar.

HTH.