Hills and Sea

Old Aug 22nd 2019, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

Rorypens is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Hills and Sea

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me narrow down my search? I am looking at the golden visa option (both Spain and Portugal). Spain looks to have the kind of properties I am looking for which is a villa style accommodation on a coastal hill with seas view (ala Murcia region). BUT Portugal slam dunks it with its tax breaks (I have a pension that would be fully taxable) and "calmer" vibe.

Are there any areas of Portugal (south of Lisbon and Algarve that resemble Murcia (coastal hill but with seas view). I have been looking online but what I have been able to see generally looks quite flat comparatively.

Any recommendations - Portugal, sea views, hill side properties, good sea views and a town/city not too far away (for supermarkets, hospital, restaurant etc)

PS I am a Brit but planning to move next year so may not have EU passport then ;+) I am coming over early next year for a tour of any areas I can narrow down.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 7:28 am
Just Joined

heading2PT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hills and Sea

Have a look on the Silver Coast around Caldas da Rainha, you will find all the things you list, and more.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Look around Loule
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Look around Loule
I would suggest all of he way east from Faro. If you take the motorway to Spain you can see exactly what you describe on both sides anything from 2k to 10k from the beach all up on hilltops or ridges all with a sea view and to a greater and lessor extent rural.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rorypens
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me narrow down my search? I am looking at the golden visa option (both Spain and Portugal). Spain looks to have the kind of properties I am looking for which is a villa style accommodation on a coastal hill with seas view (ala Murcia region). BUT Portugal slam dunks it with its tax breaks (I have a pension that would be fully taxable) and "calmer" vibe.

Are there any areas of Portugal (south of Lisbon and Algarve that resemble Murcia (coastal hill but with seas view). I have been looking online but what I have been able to see generally looks quite flat comparatively.

Any recommendations - Portugal, sea views, hill side properties, good sea views and a town/city not too far away (for supermarkets, hospital, restaurant etc)

PS I am a Brit but planning to move next year so may not have EU passport then ;+) I am coming over early next year for a tour of any areas I can narrow down.
You didn't post in Spain Forum but why specifically Murcia region? If you are looking for hills and sea you could go to the wild coast in Spain. Of course then you also have other areas that are more popular with Brits (Altea Hills). For example along the wild coast you will find most parts have villas directly on hills with sea views. You could even go further up the hills and still have the views and more hills.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

DiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond repute

Look into Arrabida (close to Setubal) and/or Palmela, close to Lisbon, amazing views, top infrastructure.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
You didn't post in Spain Forum but why specifically Murcia region? If you are looking for hills and sea you could go to the wild coast in Spain. Of course then you also have other areas that are more popular with Brits (Altea Hills). For example along the wild coast you will find most parts have villas directly on hills with sea views. You could even go further up the hills and still have the views and more hills.
Thanks, the Moriara area is on my list as well. I just looked at the Altea Hills as you mentioned, and I really like the properties and prices there as well. Thanks

I am going to come over in the winter to have a good look around. If I can find that sort of area in Portugal I need to look at the tax savings over 10 years and see where it puts me financially, I have noticed that the Costa Blanca seems quite a bit cheaper than the Algarve (but am just doing an online compare I now need to come and see it more on the ground.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DiDAN
Look into Arrabida (close to Setubal) and/or Palmela, close to Lisbon, amazing views, top infrastructure.
Cheers I am going to check those out now.
Old Aug 22nd 2019, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rorypens
Thanks, the Moriara area is on my list as well. I just looked at the Altea Hills as you mentioned, and I really like the properties and prices there as well. Thanks

I am going to come over in the winter to have a good look around. If I can find that sort of area in Portugal I need to look at the tax savings over 10 years and see where it puts me financially, I have noticed that the Costa Blanca seems quite a bit cheaper than the Algarve (but am just doing an online compare I now need to come and see it more on the ground.
Algarve is certainly not cheap when it comes to property if you compare with Spain. As mentioned, also check out the Wild Coast/Costa Brava if you are looking for hills and sea. We bought land there a couple of years ago and prices were cheaper, but you can still find excellent properties even on a budget.
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

DiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to mention Sesimbra :-)
Old Aug 23rd 2019, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DiDAN
Forgot to mention Sesimbra :-)
While it certainly is a nice area in parts, there won't be that many villas on the hills with seaview . If you look at Sesimbra, it's mainly apartments.
Old Aug 25th 2019, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

The other thing to remember regarding Spain is the modelo 720, which might not be a problem if you will have no assets left in the UK once over in Iberia, but if you have, including investments etc..... the 720 is why many people are leaving or at least 'unresidenting' themselves from Spain.
Old Sep 16th 2019, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lou71
The other thing to remember regarding Spain is the modelo 720, which might not be a problem if you will have no assets left in the UK once over in Iberia, but if you have, including investments etc..... the 720 is why many people are leaving or at least 'unresidenting' themselves from Spain.
Thanks, I am sadly finding out as I learn more that TAX is a lot more complicated and expensive than I thought. Even in Portugal, I would have 10 years tax free but after the ten it would be an horrendous rate for me as well as the price for comparable properties seems much higher in Portugal.. I am actually considering going back to the UK (am in Asia) at the moment and then settling with 180 days/year in Spain. It's all not quite turning out as easy as I thought my retirement relocation plan would. I am going to be in Portugal soon for a looksee though to assess locales/costs for myself on the ground.

Last edited by Rorypens; Sep 16th 2019 at 5:49 am.
Old Sep 16th 2019, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Always a good idea to visit a country before making retirement plans!
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 8:54 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you have a LOT undecided.

Do you already own somewhere ( or have long term rental ) in UK which you can use as your base ?

If so then you could just take off for a 6 month visit ( ie remaining resident in the UK ) to both Portugal and Spain and base yourself maybe in the Algarve for easy access to both.

As mentioned in a different thread on here you could rent a small flat in a seaside town over winter for maybe 800 Euros a month, incl utilities. Then do a lot of exploring on days out and so on. In general terms Portugal is much more expensive to buy a property with sea views than in Spain. It depends how important that aspect is to you ( it is to me so I know what you mean ).
If you are happy with country locations and views then inland there are cheaper place available.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.