Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

hello newbie questions

hello newbie questions

Old Oct 23rd 2009, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

wertyu2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: hello newbie questions

hello sorry to keep bothering you just want to make move smooth.

hows the best way to move money abroad,did you keep you english bank accounts,did you move money over to a portuguese bank,take travelers checks and exhane for euros.

my move is set back until september next year,gutted.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 8:51 am
Just Joined

kevinkeerie101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wertyu2007

hows the best way to move money abroad,did you keep you english bank accounts,did you move money over to a portuguese bank,take travelers checks and exhane for euros.

How did you find the move? Are you finding work easy enough mate? I'm looking to move accross within the next year or so and hoping to move western algarve.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 10:01 am
Time is always a problem

jogl will become famous soon enoughjogl will become famous soon enough

I send my money through Hifx. I make the currency deal and then my wife transfers over the t'internet 10k at a time from our bank to Hifx's account at barclays (that's max'm that you can transfer per day). You can check each time you send money that Hifx have rec'd it.

The other option is once you've done the currency deal go to your bank and set up a Chaps payment to Hifx (the bank will charge you c.25quid for this 'service').

Once the entire money is with Hifx the transfer takes 2 days max.

Make very sure you enter the correct Iban number else you could be paying it to somebody with a black turban on his head sat in a cave in Afghanistan.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

deecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nicedeecee is just really nice

I suggest you open an account with Santander in Portugal, then contact their Santander Totta branch in London (not one of their recent acquisitions like A&L) to handle internet money transfers from your UK bank, you will get the full exchange rate on the day of transfer with no charges.
Deecee
Old Feb 15th 2010, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Fluffyhead has a spectacular aura aboutFluffyhead has a spectacular aura aboutFluffyhead has a spectacular aura about

I wouldn't trust Santander with my money ever again!
Old Feb 15th 2010, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

bigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nicebigglesafloat is just really nice

I would head for the Algarve if I were you - more likely clients and more money generally even if its going to be tough for the next year or until the Brits regain confidence, It will take you at least a year to get going and you are going to adverttise quite a bit.
The secret of getting work in the Algarve is word of mouth - it takes years to build a reputation and only days to lose it.
Do what you say you are going to do, turn up on time, do good work and do not spend your life in bars !
You will never make the money you can in the rest of Europe but the standard of life is better here.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:40 pm
Account Closed

funkymonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wertyu2007

Keep ya english account and get a portuguese one when you come....

Get online banking too helps quite a bit....