Wikiposts

Hello and help!

Old Jul 4th 2017, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Cherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant future
Default Hello and help!

Hello everyone. I hope there's no problem in my introducing myself here - it seems a bit more personal than on the main intro thread.

I'm Gill and am looking to retire in the Algarve. I'm actually writing from my hotel room as I'm on an inspection trip with the estate agent. I've seen a lot of property in the last 2 days and more of the same tomorrow.

This was always intended as a fact-finding trip - what can I potentially afford and where is the best place for me? I'll be relocating alone (apart from my dog). I'm a nurse, about to apply for early retirement, no kids and little in the way of family or ties to the uk so relocation offers me a real possibility of surviving on my NHS pension and having a better later life. To stay in the UK I'd have to work until I draw my last breath so the moving plans are underway.

I'm very aware that the possibilty of becoming isolated is a very real one and I'm keen for any advice about locations. I don't want to live somewhere where it's a seasonal community; I need to be where there are people around me all year be it expats or locals. Sadly, my budget to buy property only allows me a limited choice as I'm keen to avoid apartments for a long list of reasons.

I've loved looking around eastern Algarve, I think the coast is wonderful and property prices give me more to choose from. Paderne has properties I love and can afford and I've found a gem in Olhos de Agua. My difficulty is, I've no idea what any of these can offer by way of a social life that will allow me to integrate and build a circle of friends.

I'm an active lady - I love cycling, walking my dog and have just taken up watercolour painting. I like having people over for food and drinks and eating out too. I'm fairly self-sufficient and can turn my hand to most things and am always open to trying something new.

Has anyone out there got experience of living in any one of those areas as a newcomer? All help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Saz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really niceSaz1 is just really nice
Default Re: Hello and help!

Dear Cherrypop, sorry I have no experience of those two areas, but wish you a very happy retirement wherever you may end up. I am sure you (and your dog) will fit in and soon make lots of new friends. All the very best. Saz
Old Jul 4th 2017, 8:12 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

The areas you have chosen are in the heart of the most popular parts of the Algarve for expats.
There are walking groups, drama groups, animal welfare organisations.
Wine clubs, rotary etc.
Bowling, tennis, golf if these interest you.
There is more than enough to help you fill your time.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Cherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant futureCherrypop has a brilliant future

Thank you both.
I guess I'll soon find out how to tap into the activities and groups. It's a bit daunting knowing where to start!

With regards to potentially living in Paderne. Although driving anywhere doesn't seem to take too long, I'm keen not to have to rely on a car all the time. Paderne seems quite tucked away and I'm beginning to wonder if I'd be better off closer to the heart of the area and make compromises with the property. Any thoughts anyone??

Oh, and to the person that has pm'd me, unfortunately I can't access your message as I haven't posted enough, apparently. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up your message once I've contributed to the forum a bit more.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

coffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nicecoffeeman is just really nice

Hi There

No Problem as and when.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 11:22 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cherrypop
Thank you both.
I guess I'll soon find out how to tap into the activities and groups. It's a bit daunting knowing where to start!

With regards to potentially living in Paderne. Although driving anywhere doesn't seem to take too long, I'm keen not to have to rely on a car all the time. Paderne seems quite tucked away and I'm beginning to wonder if I'd be better off closer to the heart of the area and make compromises with the property. Any thoughts anyone??

Oh, and to the person that has pm'd me, unfortunately I can't access your message as I haven't posted enough, apparently. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up your message once I've contributed to the forum a bit more.
The local English press, the Resident and the Portugal news are a good place to start.
It carries details of expat events.
A car is basically essential almost anywhere you chose to live ,otherwise you need to rely on public transport ,taxis etc.
Look up all the various forums, Carvoeiro, Albufeira etc and try to learn Portuguese.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 11:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cherrypop and welcome to the Forum

Of the two places you mentioned Paderne is far and away the better option. It has quite a few permanent residents. Quite an art and theatre going vibe. etc (see. the lovely 'cORTE REAL gallery..)

Olhos de Agua i am afraid has gained a bad reputation as 'party central ' for the more undesirable elements of British youth... I would avoid it like the plague.

good luck in your search
Old Jul 5th 2017, 12:57 am
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by GeniB
Hi Cherrypop and welcome to the Forum

Of the two places you mentioned Paderne is far and away the better option. It has quite a few permanent residents. Quite an art and theatre going vibe. etc (see. the lovely 'cORTE REAL gallery..)

Olhos de Agua i am afraid has gained a bad reputation as 'party central ' for the more undesirable elements of British youth... I would avoid it like the plague.

good luck in your search
With respect, Ohlos de aqua is as far from party central as you can get.
It is nowhere near the infamous strip or bar streets in Albufeira.
It is a small resort close to Albufeira but nothing like it.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for clearing that up EMR, I was a tad confused for a while there. I've been staying in Olhos de Agua for the last 3 days and was wondering how I'd missed all the shenanigans lol. As it happens, the property I'd viewed there and loved is out of bounds - the vendors need a quick sale and I can't complete as have yet to sell in the UK.

I have just had a second viewing of the house in Paderne and my initial reservations about being too far out are subsiding a little. The owners are British and have talked about all the wonderful walks, the local facilities and general good community spirit there. They're actually in no hurry to sell and may not sell at all so I'm sure they're not just telling me what I want to hear.

One more viewing is booked for Friday in Algoz, another location I'm not familiar with, so will see how that goes. This property has tenants so again there's no hurry to move on it which gives me time to get sorted at my end.

All in all, things are positive and any ongoing words of wisdom more than welcome.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 4:38 am
EMR
Banned

Thanks for clearing that up EMR, I was a tad confused for a while there. I've been staying in Olhos de Agua for the last 3 days and was wondering how I'd missed all the shenanigans lol. As it happens, the property I'd viewed there and loved is out of bounds - the vendors need a quick sale and I can't complete as have yet to sell in the UK.

I have just had a second viewing of the house in Paderne and my initial reservations about being too far out are subsiding a little. The owners are British and have talked about all the wonderful walks, the local facilities and general good community spirit there. They're actually in no hurry to sell and may not sell at all so I'm sure they're not just telling me what I want to hear.

One more viewing is booked for Friday in Algoz, another location I'm not familiar with, so will see how that goes. This property has tenants so again there's no hurry to move on it which gives me time to get sorted at my end.

All in all, things are positive and any ongoing words of wisdom more than welcome.
Algoz is a little further out,
It does have some large brick factories which might be a bit off putting.
Have you considered Silves ?
Old Jul 5th 2017, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

I saw a place in Silves today and have visited once before. I actually cycled up there from Vilamoura on the first occasion and can't remember much other than those blooming hills lol. The property today was totally unsuitable for me but was a bit of a viewing for the agent who'd never seen it. It was a traditional house on several levels with 3 rented out apartments (well, 2 up in the eaves and one in a converted garage) and owned by a lovely old couple who rambled on knowing I didn't have a clue what they were saying - they were very sweet. Anyway, my overall impression of Silves was that it wasn't a place I could see myself living. No particular reason for that but sometimes the vibe isn't right and this was one such day.

I was up in Algoz earlier and saw a beautiful bank repossession on an urbanisation. Several of the villas have been bought by a developer who is bringing them back up to spec. Unfortunately the whole place was planted next to an industrial estate so a no-no. The second place was in a very nice residential area but a bit over my budget and in my mind over priced. The owner actually has several other properties in the same area one of which I'm seeing on Friday. I'm half hearted about it if I'm honest but I'll stay open minded as it's a stroll into the town which appeals.

Sorry - I'm waffling again but my brain is in overdrive this week!
Old Jul 5th 2017, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Cherrypop

The sellers would say how wonderful everything if it gets a sale, wouldn't you in there position????

Peter

Last edited by Rosemary; Jul 5th 2017 at 6:47 am. Reason: corrected quote
Old Jul 5th 2017, 8:07 am
Just Joined

magellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond reputemagellen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi: Have you looked around Cabanas de Tavira? Bus and train nearby, small village, and lots of locals and quite a few expats in winter. Lovely boardwalk, walking groups and other activities around. We love it!
Old Jul 5th 2017, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by peterfc
Cherrypop

The sellers would say how wonderful everything if it gets a sale, wouldn't you in there position????

Peter
Erm....actually no, I wouldn't. I have made a point of doing some background research and what they've said ties in well with what others have told me. They genuinely love it there and are moving for family reasons - I have no reason to doubt them.
Old Jul 5th 2017, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by magellen
Hi: Have you looked around Cabanas de Tavira? Bus and train nearby, small village, and lots of locals and quite a few expats in winter. Lovely boardwalk, walking groups and other activities around. We love it!
I was in the east yesterday and really liked it. The agent I've been out here with had very little to show me within budget so haven't given it much more thought. Once I'm home I'll be doing more searches in the areas I've taken a liking to and can always arrange a few viewings and pop over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.