Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Hello from Algarve

Hello from Algarve

Old Apr 3rd 2017, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice
Thumbs up Hello from Algarve

Hello from the land of warmth, sunshine and oranges.

I may not say a lot but like lurking ... but I will assist if I am able. I am a resident of nearly 17 years and an owner of 28 years so am not totally ignorant of the country I call home.

Last edited by Rosemary; May 18th 2017 at 9:20 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 5:31 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from Algarve

Originally Posted by Sunseeker1st

I may not say a lot but like lurking ... but I will assist if I am able. I am a resident of nearly 17 years and an owner of 28 years so am not totally ignorant of the country I call home.

Hi from the land of black pigs, cork, good wine and big skies!!

Input from anyone who actually knows what they are talking about is always welcome- by me anyway!!

Last edited by Rosemary; May 18th 2017 at 9:21 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Hello from the north that escapes the severe heat of the Algarve coast that gives you a cooked lobster look.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 6:02 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukkram
Hello from the north that escapes the severe heat of the Algarve coast that gives you a cooked lobster look.
What is your temp today.
It's a wonderfull late spring day here in the Algarve.
Everything is green, wonderfull wild flowers, lots of bird song.
The first of the tourists have started to arrive, maybe they are the ones you are thinking of when you refer to lobsters.
The Portuguese ,full and part time residents do not need roast ourselves for a few dayseconds before returning to the gloomy North , theirs not yours.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sunseeker. You sound happy... How's your Portuguese? Did it take you long to learn the language.? I am really struggling after 5yrs.. Any tips?

Last edited by Rosemary; May 18th 2017 at 9:21 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by EMR
What is your temp today.
It's a wonderfull late spring day here in the Algarve.
Everything is green, wonderfull wild flowers, lots of bird song.
The first of the tourists have started to arrive, maybe they are the ones you are thinking of when you refer to lobsters.
The Portuguese ,full and part time residents do not need roast ourselves for a few dayseconds before returning to the gloomy North , theirs not yours.
Gloomy North? haha You've obviously not spent much time in the north, ever been at all? Sunshine and 23ºc here in inland north today, 27 expected by end of week, that's 5ºc up on what's predicted for Albuifeira! Try beautiful green and outstanding landscape north!

Last edited by gedscottish; Apr 3rd 2017 at 10:24 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 6:16 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sunseeker1st - you took your time introducing yourself to us. Welcome to the forum

I heard a rumour that the Algarve is going to be turned into a giant oil-rig and all the golf courses are going to be moved to the Alentejo and that's why they built the Alqueva dam and Beja Airport.

Is it true?
Old Apr 4th 2017, 6:51 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Gloomy North? haha You've obviously not spent much time in the north, ever been at all? Sunshine and 23ºc here in inland north today, 27 expected by end of week, that's 5ºc up on what's predicted for Albuifeira! Try beautiful green and outstanding landscape north!
I Saud their North, not yours.
I am sure that you will soon be able to take off that third layer of clothing.😁
Old Apr 4th 2017, 6:52 am
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Hi Sunseeker1st - you took your time introducing yourself to us. Welcome to the forum

I heard a rumour that the Algarve is going to be turned into a giant oil-rig and all the golf courses are going to be moved to the Alentejo and that's why they built the Alqueva dam and Beja Airport.

Is it true?
Seriously, Algarve oil exploration permits cancelled.
More money in Golf.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Old Apr 4th 2017, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Beautiful beach!
Old Apr 4th 2017, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

Thank you all for the warm welcome and for the lovely photo McBife.

Originally Posted by GeniB
Hi Sunseeker. You sound happy... How's your Portuguese? Did it take you long to learn the language.? I am really struggling after 5yrs.. Any tips?

GeniB, I can get by in Portuguese, except for technical terminology and my tenses may be all over the show! The problem here is the majority speak English and Algarvian is a language on it's own ... but not as bad as Alentejon, right macliam? Tips? ... watch Portuguese TV (Sundays often have English speaking movies with Portuguese subtitles). If I am not sure I use Google Translate to put in my phrase and memorise it in Portuguese ... but don't be surprised if you get a Portuguese reply which you don't understand. :lol

Last edited by Rosemary; May 18th 2017 at 9:19 am.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank you all for the warm welcome and for the lovely photo McBife.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]
GeniB, I can get by in Portuguese, except for technical terminology and my tenses may be all over the show! The problem here is the majority speak English and Algarvian is a language on it's own ... but not as bad as Alentejon, right macliam? Tips? ... watch Portuguese TV (Sundays often have English speaking movies with Portuguese subtitles). If I am not sure I use Google Translate to put in my phrase and memorise it in Portuguese ... but don't be surprised if you get a Portuguese reply which you don't understand.
It must be very difficult to learn in the Algarve as so many people speak English and they won't give you a chance to learn, they'll answer you back in English if you try to speak Portuguese.

Last edited by Rosemary; May 18th 2017 at 9:19 am.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 10:03 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for the warm welcome and for the lovely photo McBife.

GeniB, I can get by in Portuguese, except for technical terminology and my tenses may be all over the show! The problem here is the majority speak English and Algarvian is a language on it's own ... but not as bad as Alentejon, right macliam? Tips? ... watch Portuguese TV (Sundays often have English speaking movies with Portuguese subtitles). If I am not sure I use Google Translate to put in my phrase and memorise it in Portuguese ... but don't be surprised if you get a Portuguese reply which you don't understand.
Ah the glory of the Alentejo! Yes, the language is "interesting" and no matter how well you speak Portuguese, you'll never pass for an Alentejano! But as long as you keep away from discussing technical things (like the multiple names for Azinheiras, bird names, animal names, insect names, plants, etc., etc.) you can still get by.....

Last edited by Rosemary; May 18th 2017 at 9:20 am.