Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Getting NIF / Resident Certificate Without A Tenants Agreement?

Getting NIF / Resident Certificate Without A Tenants Agreement?

Old Oct 13th 2017, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

jamescooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting NIF / Resident Certificate Without A Tenants Agreement?

I am an EU citizen, I was wondering if it is possible to register for the NIF and get the "resident certificate" from the Câmara Municipal without a tenants agreement? Just using an Atestado from my Junta de Freguesia as proof of address instead? I don't own the property but the owner lets me stay there. I heard that the tenants agreements have to be registered with the tax office. So I was wondering if not having one would cause any problems when trying to become resident and get a tax number (NIF)?
Old Oct 14th 2017, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting NIF / Resident Certificate Without A Tenants Agreement?

Yes, you only need a postal address.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

That's right. No proof of address needed. You can verbally give them the address as I did.
Old Oct 21st 2017, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute

A few months ago I was doing an online search on what paperwork was necessary for residency.
I found the following list:

•Application Form
•Valid passport plus one photocopy
•Two identical recent, colour passport photos
•Proof of income / financial independence
•Proof of accommodation
•A small fee

Has the situation now changed such that you no longer need a document for proof of accommodation?
Old Oct 21st 2017, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

The OP is a citizen of an EU country so those items are not needed. They are for 3'rd country nationals registering at SEF.
I just pitched with my passport and a few €.
Old Oct 21st 2017, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Ukkram
The OP is a citizen of an EU country so those items are not needed. They are for 3'rd country nationals registering at SEF.
What is OP?
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilou
What is OP?
Original poster
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Original poster
Thanks!
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute

That's very positive news.
I seem to remember people having difficulty registering at some offices, so I guess that they were non EU.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ricko
That's very positive news.
I seem to remember people having difficulty registering at some offices, so I guess that they were non EU.
Non EU people have to go to the SEF office and EU members simply report their presence at the local Camara office. No problem with the latter.

Took me all of 15 minutes as an EU member and 5 months for my non EU wife.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

If I remember correctly, for registration of an EU citizen the cost was €15. As Ukkram says it took about 15 mins in the office, plus a bit more because I didn’t know about the photos!

You can download the registration form from your Câmara’s website.

Re other point. You don’t need to be resident to get a NIF number. Just go to finance dept with passport and ask for one.

Last edited by Jonny22; Oct 22nd 2017 at 5:00 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't recall having to give them photos but then again I don't recall much of anything lately.

Tip: Download "Microsoft Translator" to your android phone and take a pic of the form mentioned above and it will translate it to English. Great for translating menus when eating out as well.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Ninmurai is an unknown quantity at this point

I got my NIF first and they asked for a proof of address from the UK, so I emailed the desk clerk a recent App Store receipt from my phone, which got accepted. Done in 10 mins.

My Residence Certificate they just took my word for my Portuguese address, although some people have been asked for their rental contract or declaration from the local Parish. As I was registering as self-sufficient the clerk did ask to look at my bank statement which I had ready. Also done in 10 mins!
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ninmurai
I got my NIF first and they asked for a proof of address from the UK, so I emailed the desk clerk a recent App Store receipt from my phone, which got accepted. Done in 10 mins.

My Residence Certificate they just took my word for my Portuguese address, although some people have been asked for their rental contract or declaration from the local Parish. As I was registering as self-sufficient the clerk did ask to look at my bank statement which I had ready. Also done in 10 mins!
A bank receipt from a bank outside Portugal is ok?
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Ninmurai is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pilou
A bank receipt from a bank outside Portugal is ok?
Yes, mine was a simple black and white PDF printed from my online UK bank account.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.