Gas Bottles

Old Nov 7th 2013, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all
Default Gas Bottles

Quickie - are all butane bottles interchangeable between regulators? I have Repsol bottles and regulators, would a BP bottle fit? Also need a new regulator - Casa Ambica? Thanks
Old Nov 8th 2013, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gas Bottles

Each supplier has their own fitting style, quite a pain. Also you have to pay a non-returnable deposit on each bottle, so in effect you're stuck with whichever brand you start with. you can exchange the bottle for a full one, but you can't get your deposit money back.
So choose one with more than one stockist nearby.
Whoever sells you the gas will likely have a regulator for you.
If the cylinder is outside the house, I recommend propane; it works better in cold weather. If inside the house, use butane. The pressure inside the cylinder is lower, so leaks are less likely.
Butane is also available in lightweight plastic cylinders, easier to carry. The deposit is higher on them.
Old Nov 8th 2013, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

roadislandred is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jonny22
Quickie - are all butane bottles interchangeable between regulators? I have Repsol bottles and regulators, would a BP bottle fit? Also need a new regulator - Casa Ambica? Thanks
Hi Jonny, its cheaper from Spain. HALF THE PRICE. Your first one will not be as cheap as you will need to buy a regulator. Once you have that , the next time it will be half the price. While getting your gas, why not take advantage of the cheaper petrol also? Make a day of it like we do and have lunch in Spain and get your shopping at different supermarket.
Old Nov 8th 2013, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud of

Hope you don't get stopped at the boarder with your Spanish gas bottle
Joao
Old Nov 8th 2013, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

Thanks all, Joao, you're absolutely right, a couple of PT friends nearly got nicked on the bridge for that. Personally I wouldn't recommend it, not worth the risk.

Have had butane on the house for over 8years, don't really think it gets too cold to warrant
propane, I'm trying to get an old barbie going again.

Went to see Maria Fernandes in Cacela, guy there confirmed all are different, so need to go to Repsol in Altura to get a bottle and regulator. Thanks JJ
Old Nov 8th 2013, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

roadislandred is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all, Joao, you're absolutely right, a couple of PT friends nearly got nicked on the bridge for that. Personally I wouldn't recommend it, not worth the risk.

Have had butane on the house for over 8years, don't really think it gets too cold to warrant

Went to see Maria Fernandes in Cacela, guy there confirmed all are different, so need to go to Repsol in Altura to get a bottle and regulator. Thanks JJ
How do you nearly get nicked? As long as you only have one bottle you are ok. Its when you have more then one, that's the trouble. One is for personal use and is fine.
Old Nov 9th 2013, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

They had several so had to ditch them, thanks for the tip that one is OK
Old Nov 9th 2013, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

BlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond repute

If you got metal working skills you could cut open an old gas bottle and make a nice barbie or stove out of it. I would love to do this. \˚ㄥ˚\
Old Nov 9th 2013, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlackBeardie
If you got metal working skills you could cut open an old gas bottle and make a nice barbie or stove out of it. I would love to do this. \˚ㄥ˚\
But take out the valve first & fill them with with water to make sure there is NO Gas left ,there's a guy near by who doe's this & turn's them into barbies.
Old Nov 9th 2013, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I cut and welded 4 of them together to make a turf roller.
2 little ones are now castor wheels on my mower deck.

Yes, release gas, remove the valve, fill with water and let stand for a day. there will be some heavy stink from the scent they add to the gas when they bottle it. pour out the wwater in an isolated spot. the smell will disperse after a week or two.

Last edited by liveaboard; Nov 9th 2013 at 11:21 am.
Old Nov 9th 2013, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

I want to make a smoker ......
Old Nov 9th 2013, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

BlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ingles
But take out the valve first & fill them with with water to make sure there is NO Gas left ,there's a guy near by who doe's this & turn's them into barbies.
Yeah, I'll do that. I have a old gas cylinder sitting in my shed that I want to have a go. Yes, I'll wash it out. I've been watching the videos on youtube. Cutting through steel with a grinder/jigsaw3 is a slow and arduous process..
Old Nov 9th 2013, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I cut and welded 4 of them together to make a turf roller.
2 little ones are now castor wheels on my mower deck.

Yes, release gas, remove the valve, fill with water and let stand for a day. there will be some heavy stink from the scent they add to the gas when they bottle it. pour out the wwater in an isolated spot. the smell will disperse after a week or two.
Oh well done! I wish I was skilled as you but there is still time for me to learn. I love my Irvin quick release clamps and the new Bosch 500W jigsaw!
Old Nov 9th 2013, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

There are super thin cutting wheels for angle grinders that cut much easier than the old ones. Even a small grinder cuts through a gas bottle quite easily.
If using a jigsaw, push down heavily as you cut, because the blade tends to catch and lift the machine from the work. That often leads to bent or broken blades. a bit of light oil will help keep the blade cool, but clean the machine well before cutting any wood or the leftover oil will stain it.