Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Gardening in the East Algarve: April

Gardening in the East Algarve: April

Old Apr 23rd 2015, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

mags-eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Gardening in the East Algarve: April

Thanks for that info GeniB. Did you put the clippings from your hedges etc straight onto the soil or did you chip them first. our piece of land had eucaliptus trees on it which were all grubbed up about 4 years ago and the land just left to it's own devices so we have a real issue with lack of nutrients in the soil. What kind of quantities of compost do the co-ops sell and do they deliver in a huge truck or something.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 6:59 pm
Smokn Joy

Munsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm So a cubic meter per 'unit' = 1,000L of water my bill says the cost of a 'unit' is 0.50. guess I'll go ask in person as we used 2,000L of water (according to the meter reading) over 2-weeks. Hmmmmm But thanks bunches EMR
Old Apr 26th 2015, 3:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Munsterfan
oops meant GeniB with the 'where' question.
Outside Lagos Munster...coastal, so very fast draining sandy soil with lots of rocks too
Old Apr 26th 2015, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mags-eddie
Thanks for that info GeniB. Did you put the clippings from your hedges etc straight onto the soil or did you chip them first. our piece of land had eucaliptus trees on it which were all grubbed up about 4 years ago and the land just left to it's own devices so we have a real issue with lack of nutrients in the soil. What kind of quantities of compost do the co-ops sell and do they deliver in a huge truck or something.
Hi Mags..No I didn't put 'raw' clippings straight onto the beds..I always compost them down first,shred big stuff and add to the kitchen waste etc.In the beginning I bought large 25 kilo bags of compost from the coop plus some from my local Garden centre and mix it in .Gradually as the compost production grew I could cut down on buying in.I don't know if our coop delivers as I always picked up my own in our 4x4 As we are used to tossing our 32kilo dog in the back it wasn't too much of a strain...ha! Check what your composting here..Don't touch Oleander clippings-highly poisonous .ditto the deadly poisonous Datura plant.(Angels Trumpets) also no 'woody' stuff or any food waste (attract s rats)..I'm sure you know all this though
Old Apr 26th 2015, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Munsterfan
Hmmmm So a cubic meter per 'unit' = 1,000L of water my bill says the cost of a 'unit' is 0.50. guess I'll go ask in person as we used 2,000L of water (according to the meter reading) over 2-weeks. Hmmmmm But thanks bunches EMR

Urgent you do that Munster as it's not unusual to find you have a leak somewhere.We had one.Only discovered by chance as we had actually not been on the 'grid' so to speak (previous owners) So we got to check our water bill from the get go.It suddenly went nuts one week.We called in a plumber who found water pouring down the wall of the boiler room He literally had to excavate under OH's study balcony. to find the source of this 'nile'.thereby discovering a 'tiny room' which had been walled up for some reason? It contained one of the houses main water pipes.It had been walled up with a ton of builders rubble which over a period of 12yrs had gradually tumbled down onto said pipe and created a miniscule puncture.Over god knows how long? the water built up and finally started to escape through holes made for the electric cables in the boiler room next door..Amazing. Our plumber was superb.Took him three days of excavations.Two more to repair the pipe,plaster the walls,put a new door to the outside of what we christened 'King Tuts other tomb.'.Put metal access grids in the flower beds underneath the balcony and finally re-paint the whole balcony wall.cost? 200 euros' .I DREAD to think what that would have cost in the UK.

Last edited by GeniB; Apr 26th 2015 at 4:04 am.
Old Apr 26th 2015, 7:34 pm
Smokn Joy

Munsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond reputeMunsterfan has a reputation beyond repute

Wow GeniB, informative story, we're in an apartment right now...so no hidden rooms. On another subject, We are heading with Betsy (our Rhodesian Ridgeback) to meet the future father of her litter in Porto tomorrow afternoon. We've only been in Portugal since the end of January and haven't traveled farther then Albufeira, we plan to leave very early and drive slow and spend a couple of days looking around the area. Would love to meet you, see your garden/land etc. Either on the way up or on the way back on Wed/Thursday... or another time that suits, PM me?
Old Apr 29th 2015, 9:32 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Tomato seedlings we bought at Algoz market in mid march are flourishing with fruit already showing.
That is despite the odd weather this spring .
Some are in tubs in a mixture of growbag and normal compost and others just planted in the ground to see how they performed.
No discernable difference.
The worst performing plant is one I covered with a 5 ltr water bottle which I thought would act as a cloche and encourage growth.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EMR
Tomato seedlings we bought at Algoz market in mid march are flourishing with fruit already showing.
That is despite the odd weather this spring .
Some are in tubs in a mixture of growbag and normal compost and others just planted in the ground to see how they performed.
No discernable difference.
The worst performing plant is one I covered with a 5 ltr water bottle which I thought would act as a cloche and encourage growth.
You might find the difference comes when the ones in the ground start to bake!
The one under the cloche might be getting a bit of oxygen starvation!

My best performer is a tomato plant that seeded itself in one of my tubs last year almost killing off my basil plant.When I moved it last month to the veggie plot it already had two quite large tomatoes on it.Fickle