Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Fresh (or Frozen) Meat Cash & Carry?

Fresh (or Frozen) Meat Cash & Carry?

Old Dec 15th 2016, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

snaphappy has a reputation beyond reputesnaphappy has a reputation beyond reputesnaphappy has a reputation beyond reputesnaphappy has a reputation beyond reputesnaphappy has a reputation beyond reputesnaphappy has a reputation beyond reputesnaphappy has a reputation beyond reputesnaphappy has a reputation beyond reputesnaphappy has a reputation beyond reputesnaphappy has a reputation beyond reputesnaphappy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fresh (or Frozen) Meat Cash & Carry?

Every 2 weeks we purchase "Quatro quilos de peito de frango" (4kg of Chicken Breast) from various Supermarkets.

Whilst it's not that expensive (compared to the UK), does anyone know of any meat outlets that we might be able to buy these bulks cheaper?

Central Algarve preferred.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 5:12 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fresh (or Frozen) Meat Cash & Carry?

Originally Posted by snaphappy
Every 2 weeks we purchase "Quatro quilos de peito de frango" (4kg of Chicken Breast) from various Supermarkets.

Whilst it's not that expensive (compared to the UK), does anyone know of any meat outlets that we might be able to buy these bulks cheaper?

Have you tried Makro at Guia, as a resident you should no have a problem getting a card.
Its where many of the restaurant trade shops .
Old Dec 15th 2016, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Main wholesalers in the area are Aviludo on the Quarteira road but they wouldn't be interested in selling 4kg. If you wanted 400kg a month they may open trading arrangements. Makro is a good suggestion and Aldi often have deals.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Have you tried Makro at Guia, as a resident you should no have a problem getting a card.
Its where many of the restaurant trade shops .
Makro in Coinbra refused me membership until i produced my UK Makro card also the card is still in use by my son for the business i gave him. Makro are not like Costco where you just go in and pay for membership.

Peter
Old Dec 15th 2016, 5:55 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterfc
Makro in Coinbra refused me membership until i produced my UK Makro card also the card is still in use by my son for the business i gave him. Makro are not like Costco where you just go in and pay for membership.

Peter
We had no problem getting one in Guia, just produced our nif and proof of Portugal address.
The Guia branch is very popular with expats and those Brits who service the tourist trade.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 7:53 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Is it for you?

If so, why would you want to buy the cheapest - which will probably be from ex-battery farm egg layers, past their prime - when you can buy frango do campo - better for yourself and the chicken....

Last edited by macliam; Dec 15th 2016 at 7:55 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

snaphappy has a reputation beyond reputesnaphappy has a reputation beyond reputesnaphappy has a reputation beyond reputesnaphappy has a reputation beyond reputesnaphappy has a reputation beyond reputesnaphappy has a reputation beyond reputesnaphappy has a reputation beyond reputesnaphappy has a reputation beyond reputesnaphappy has a reputation beyond reputesnaphappy has a reputation beyond reputesnaphappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
Is it for you?

If so, why would you want to buy the cheapest - which will probably be from ex-battery farm egg layers, past their prime - when you can buy frango do campo - better for yourself and the chicken....
Sorry, yes, totally agree.

I should of made that clear, I'm not looking for cheap chicken, but chicken that costs less that the Supermarkets. I still want it to be good quality from a good source.

The new Intermarche in Messines had it really cheap, but as I expected, the prices (for this and other things) seemed to be an opening lure.

It's not for me but all the (rescue) cats we have. We not only brought our own rescue cats with us from the UK, but have also adopted a lot of local (used to be) Ferals that sort of came with the house. Although they have Cat food, we also give them Chicken breast not only as a treat, but costs less than Cat Food of which incidentally, we import from Germany (Zooplus) as it's crazy expensive in Portugal.

We've stayed away from Makro as we didn't find it that cheap in the UK due to the Supermarket wars, but will go and had a look at what they've got.

Last edited by snaphappy; Dec 15th 2016 at 8:13 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2016, 10:01 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, yes, totally agree.

I should of made that clear, I'm not looking for cheap chicken, but chicken that costs less that the Supermarkets. I still want it to be good quality from a good source.

The new Intermarche in Messines had it really cheap, but as I expected, the prices (for this and other things) seemed to be an opening lure.

It's not for me but all the (rescue) cats we have. We not only brought our own rescue cats with us from the UK, but have also adopted a lot of local (used to be) Ferals that sort of came with the house. Although they have Cat food, we also give them Chicken breast not only as a treat, but costs less than Cat Food of which incidentally, we import from Germany (Zooplus) as it's crazy expensive in Portugal.

We've stayed away from Makro as we didn't find it that cheap in the UK due to the Supermarket wars, but will go and had a look at what they've got.
I didn't think Makro was particularly cheap for anything I'd want to buy ..... but I guess it depends.

OK - if it's for the cats, I withdraw my comments (although I'm sure they'd LOVE Frango do Campo!)

My father-in law in the north got heads and other bits from the local egg producer - they sold on the "nice" bits, but gave away the rest. It might not be so nice for you, but, believe me, the cats around him chowed down on that even raw (well - it's probably better than they're used to!).

However, I presume you buy the breast for ease of handling by you and no leftovers....... so as long as it's not condemned, I guess protein is protein.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

While we at it, what is the diffs between Galinha and Frango?
Old Dec 19th 2016, 12:28 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Galinhas are made of wood
Old Dec 19th 2016, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Costa de Caparica: 2007-2010. Then Olivais, Lisboa: 2010-2017. Currently back in Cambridge, UK.
ah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond reputeah207 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukkram
Galinha is likely to be old egg laying hen that's come to the end of its...."useful" life.

Frango on the other hand is a young rooster or broiler.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Thanks. So the OP should buy the cheaper galinha for the cats and we can use it in soups and stews.
Old Dec 19th 2016, 4:17 pm
EMR
Banned

We once knowing know better bought a galina and roasted it.
Even the cat turned his knows up at the dried and shrivelled article thst emerged from the oven.
Old Dec 21st 2016, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Galinhas are made of wood
Old Dec 27th 2016, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ukkram
Galinha is chicken

Frango is chicken meat

The same way as in English, you don't eat Cow, you eat Beef.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.