Forest Fires

Old Jul 20th 2019, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

In love with forests is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Forest Fires

Hi all,

I'm currently researching a few different European countries with a view to buying a house and living there permanently. I have yet to visit Portugal, but the thing that concerns me most is the incidence of fires. I was wondering how big a problem is it really? Are there zones of the country that are more affected by fires than others, both in terms of the severity of the fires, and the frequency of fires? I am not looking at coastal or urban parts of Portugal, but rather rural/semi rural areas.
I hope I don't offend anyone with this question.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old Jul 21st 2019, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forest Fires

We were right in the epicentre of the June 17th 2017 firestorm & barely escaped it & you're dead right to be cautious. IMO, any area can burn and that isn't just Portugal.

After the fires, the country introduced a lot of new laws about fire bands & what can grow where & I know from bitter experience that these laws are being studiously ignored by land owners, Government & GNR alike so you can't rely on the law to be enforced because it won't.

The good news is there's a lot you can do to protect your property such as first buying the right property that is naturally resistant to fires because of it's location and then applying good management policies to your own land & you'll learn more about that by looking as portugalwildfires.com which is a not for profit site.
Old Jul 21st 2019, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
We were right in the epicentre of the June 17th 2017 firestorm & barely escaped it & you're dead right to be cautious. IMO, any area can burn and that isn't just Portugal.

After the fires, the country introduced a lot of new laws about fire bands & what can grow where & I know from bitter experience that these laws are being studiously ignored by land owners, Government & GNR alike so you can't rely on the law to be enforced because it won't.

The good news is there's a lot you can do to protect your property such as first buying the right property that is naturally resistant to fires because of it's location and then applying good management policies to your own land & you'll learn more about that by looking as portugalwildfires.com which is a not for profit site.

I agree.
Old Jul 21st 2019, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

A nice link... thank you for that
Having bought a small farm that will be stood empty for another year, all help and information is invaluable
Old Jul 21st 2019, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

+ 2
Old Jul 21st 2019, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

I remember talking to you in a previous thread some time ago. I was very saddened by reports on the news. Are people in your area getting the help they need to rebuild their lives? There is a big fire currently in Castelo Branco. 8 injured, one seriously hurt. I hope no fatalities :O(
Old Jul 21st 2019, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all for your helpful, even if not comforting, replies.
Old Jul 21st 2019, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by In love with forests
I remember talking to you in a previous thread some time ago. I was very saddened by reports on the news. Are people in your area getting the help they need to rebuild their lives? There is a big fire currently in Castelo Branco. 8 injured, one seriously hurt. I hope no fatalities :O(
We're more than 2 years after the firestorm & whilst most who survived have got their lives back on track an alleged €114M that was donated to the victims seems to have disappeared up it's own arse & umpteen politicians & a few citizens are awaiting trial or sentence for fraud etc.
I will NEVER donate a single cent to any charity except the Bombeiros ever again.

Old Jul 22nd 2019, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly the "Fire" season has started ,as the temperature rises so doe's the risk facture !
This link which is up dated constantly, will keep informed as too where there they are active , or under control.

https://fogos.pt/
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 12:35 pm
Banned

007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute007Steve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ingles
+ 2
+3, and good neighbours.
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

We're more than 2 years after the firestorm & whilst most who survived have got their lives back on track an alleged €114M that was donated to the victims seems to have disappeared up it's own arse & umpteen politicians & a few citizens are awaiting trial or sentence for fraud etc.
I will NEVER donate a single cent to any charity except the Bombeiros ever again.
Bloody hell :O(