Foggy Headlamps

Old Feb 16th 2017, 1:34 pm
Time is always a problem

jogl will become famous soon enoughjogl will become famous soon enough
Default Foggy Headlamps

My PT car here in the central Algarve has very foggy headlamps - the protective film overlaying the plastic lense has gone opaque and is peeling off. Does anyone know where I can buy 'Clear Coat Spray' - it's an acrylic and comes in spray cans approx 400ml.
I've tried places like Naurauto but no luck...........

Thanks
Old Feb 16th 2017, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

morro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foggy Headlamps

I was warned about mine in my MOT last week! Not a fail just told to sort it.
I had this problem in the UK- just polish with Brasso.
I went to the supermarket and bought the equivalent, no problem!
Old Feb 16th 2017, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I sanded mine with wet 600 grit paper, then buffed it with polishing compound.
They're 17 years old and shine like new.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

One if cars needs it done every couple of years, costs 30€ for the pair, worth it considering a kit to do it costs around 20.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedscottish
One if cars needs it done every couple of years, costs 30€ for the pair, worth it considering a kit to do it costs around 20.
Just had both our cars headlights done here. The nissans were so fogged you couldn't even see the bulbs! cost £4 per light, took an hour each of grinding, buffing and sealing. Can now see where we're going. It's very common here as the UV in sunlight causes changes in the plastic and modern headlights are more liable to it due to using a softer plastic - according to our mechanic here.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

I polished mine with toothpaste on damp kitchen towel. It can take a bit of effort but they are like new again. Finish off by rinsing with water, drying and then polishing with car polish to add a protective coat.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 12:56 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillBullock
I polished mine with toothpaste on damp kitchen towel. It can take a bit of effort but they are like new again. Finish off by rinsing with water, drying and then polishing with car polish to add a protective coat.
Stops cavities too!
Old Feb 19th 2017, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

SMENI is on a distinguished road

Our Honda failed its MOT last March because of the foggy headlights, had them sorted and it was passed on re-MOT
Old Feb 19th 2017, 11:18 am
Time is always a problem

jogl will become famous soon enoughjogl will become famous soon enough

Well I tried brasso and it worked a treat! Now to use toothpaste to lift the remaining filmed areas where the coating has bubbled and faded.
Thanks for the replies