Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Flying - is it safe?

Flying - is it safe?

Old Jul 10th 2020, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

fergus is on a distinguished road
Default Flying - is it safe?

Okay, so like many I am desperate to get back to Portugal but don't want it to be my last trip ever! I have flight that I booked some while back, for the end of August. I appreciate that once on the plane, well, like sitting on a bus or train, you just have to tough it out. In the airport you have more room and can move away from people and find space. But what is it like in the airport gate? The pre-covid experience was a general mash up and squeeze at the gate followed by a caterpillar march to the steps and face to face jostle on the plane.

Has anyone been in the last few days that can share their experience? I will be flying bristol to faro.

Many thanks as forewarned is, as they say forearmed. Or maybe I will just cancel? But I have seen that the french baker in Tavira is open this week and I do miss their terribly good and sinful pastries.

Thanks to you all in advance and stay safe.

Last edited by fergus; Jul 10th 2020 at 8:26 pm.
Old Jul 10th 2020, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying - is it safe?

Regards your points...
Terminals are very empty
Most keeping a good distance
All obeying the face mask rule
Most flights still very empty so it's common to have a row to yourself

I'd say its safer at airport and onboard than going to any shop in uk.

As an extra, scientists/experts/airlines (so not my claim) reckon tests show that the filters/scrubbed in the airplane aircon system means the onboard air is cleaner than an hospital surgical room (as I said not my words)

Personally I'd say if sensible, wear a mask, keep distance, etc its probably safer than 99% of most places
Old Jul 10th 2020, 9:27 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

My concern is the long lines to pass through security at the UK end. Prior to COVID-19, people were in lines, shoulder to shoulder for a considerable time in order to have their bags scanned. Hard to see how social distancing could be practiced there....
Old Jul 10th 2020, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I cant speak for every airport, but the ones I've seen have been very sensible.... security lines not as good but staff have been quick to assert a bit of sense
Old Jul 11th 2020, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

sidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond repute

I had my mask on for about thirty minutes at the hospital a few days ago and couldn't believe how hot it was. So...if you haven't already worn a mask... try wearing one for an hour or so and get used to it.
A three hour flight to Faro plus the time at either end means that you will probably have to wear the mask for anything up to five or six hours.
As you have already said...forewarned is forearmed.
Old Jul 11th 2020, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Ajmandon is an unknown quantity at this point

Flew EZY back from Faro to LGW on the 7th...... only about 30 flights scheduled that day I think
- Faro airport almost empty, masks must be worn at all times, social distancing (easily) observed, hand sanitizer available. One or two coffee stalls open, no other food outlets, vending machines operational.
- Boarding done by row number starting at the rear, so "speedy boarding" suspended.
- About 45 passengers on a flight with a capacity of about 180/190 .
- No food/drink service/duty free on the flight, staff also wearing gloves and masks.
- Disembarkation also by rows from the front, except for the normal collection of morons that cannot do as they are told!
- LGW almost empty, only people not wearing masks were Immigration and Border Security !!
- E-gates not operational, but so few passengers took less than 5 mins to clear immigration.
- recommend you complete your quarantine form, if required, beforehand and take a printed copy .... lots of people struggling to complete online in the arrivals hall !!
- I had no problem wearing my "surgical type" mask the entire journey. A full N95 type might be a different story.

All in all, an easy and actually pleasant experience!

Old Jul 11th 2020, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

fergus is on a distinguished road

Well, those replies are all very encouraging, thanks. Very much appreciated. Boarding by row makes sense but stills leaves you stuck at the gate and maybe compromised in terms of distancing. Though, if there are just 45 people on a flight, then great. Loads of room. I am sure that numbers will increase quite quickly now restrictions are relaxed, even if, they seem to have marked out Portugal for some odd reason. I am sure if Boris Johnson's Dad had a holiday booked in Portugal rather than Greece the situation would be different. Thinking about it, it might keep 'holiday makers' away which is a bonus, for me, but not for the business people in Portugal that need them. And to be honest, I will self isolate anyway, once off the plane both in Portugal and UK, as I have got used to it. It is not much of a hardship and feels like the right thing to do. Until a vaccine is available to everyone we all have a responsibility to one and other.

Okay, so who else has flown recently that can add to the advice so far? Please do mention if it was ryanair, Jet2 or easyjet as they may do different things.

Thanks again
Old Jul 11th 2020, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

One of the places that would be a nightmare to isolate / distance would be arrivals passport control at Faro if and when flights get back to normal re frequency and occupancy. Has always been a bottleneck there.
Old Jul 11th 2020, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Go by train ?
Old Jul 11th 2020, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

Would you feel more in control driving your car? A small twin bed trailor would do nicely if you have a trailor hitch, your own loo and a small fridge and you could be very isolated, stop when you need a nap.
I would rather do that than risk the ride on the plane. Masks don't really block much, only 30% safer than no mask if someone is infected and fills the air with germs. i mean, they help but in an enclosed space the air isn't always going to be circulating fresh air or anything close to clean. Sorry to bring a cloud over the thread. I believe in realities.
Old Jul 12th 2020, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Flew MXP to Lis last night, small Embrarer 2+2 configuration
i checked luggage so as i collected from belt a queue backed up to the automatic security doors and and doubled back as the guards were letting people through in a trickle to account for the ceiling mounted heat cameras. Maybe 20min wait, fairly close but neither sardines nor strictly 1m apart.
flight was good, disciplined. Also read yesterday that WHO advises flying is now safe enough. Flight wasn't full and got 2 seats. Both airports delightfully sparsely populated.
Old Jul 12th 2020, 5:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Go by train ?
It's still a metal tube filled with people - but probably with poorer quality ventilation (less filtration), and you're going to be spending a lot longer in a train than a plane, for the same journey.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 12th 2020 at 6:35 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2020, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's still a metal tube filled with people - but probably with poorer quality ventilation (less filtration), and you're going to be spending a lot longer.in a train than a plane for the same journey.
Probably better food though.
Old Jul 12th 2020, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's still a metal tube filled with people - but probably with poorer quality ventilation (less filtration), and you're going to be spending a lot longer in a train than a plane, for the same journey.
Open the windows
Old Jul 12th 2020, 8:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Open the windows
That hasn't been possible on express rolling stock manufactured in the UK since 1964. Do express trains in Europe still have opening windows?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 12th 2020 at 8:43 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.