Fish for food

Old Dec 1st 2015, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fish for food

We have a fair number of javali and deer but they're very shy so we don't often see them and when we do, they're ready to spook at the drop of a hat. - My mostly elderly neighbours often ask me to do something about them, especially the javali but I prefer to leave them in peace so I get to see them occasionally.

We also see a few bunnies at night and although we see an occasional partridge we don't see many....... I'd guess because of the high predator population.

There's an occasional montaria in the forest behind the house but they don't disturb us much.

Gotta say I'm not much of a fan of montarias.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

. The "hunters" have denuded the land of almost all wildlife.[/QUOTE]

Sadly same in my area, but the good part is we no longer have "lead shot" skipping off the roof any more !!!
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the Vicentina "Natural" park.
They hunt here too. But if they don't, the boar will over run the place, as other predators were wiped out long ago.
I was told by a vet that the rabbits are mostly wiped out by myxomatosis.
But I agree, the place has been hunted bare.
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

P'raps there's more game in some areas than some of you think........ my own one doesn't seem to have much at first glance but try looking harder and also perhaps try making life easier for the game.

A few feeders and good water is often a good place to start and then perhaps invest in a few trail cams to see what appears at night.

The amount of commercial woodland in it's various sorts does mean fewer game animals than natural indigenous woodland but it doesn't mean no game at all.
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 9:55 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I was told by a vet that the rabbits are mostly wiped out by myxomatosis.
Myxie is a curse in the UK too, but never completely wipes out a population. Yet it's as rare as hen's teeth to see any droppings here and it seems a shame that an animal native to Iberia is so persecuted. The love of wild rabbit suggests that any local population gets wiped out as soon as it is noticed and before it can build to a sustainable level.
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

nogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond repute

I have a fair number of rabbits and more wild boar; on my thirty acres, than i wish. Have to start thinning them out; wild boar for dinner!
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nogard
I have a fair number of rabbits and more wild boar; on my thirty acres, than i wish. Have to start thinning them out; wild boar for dinner!
Might I suggest stabbing a few holes in a haunch & stuffing with garlic, apple & glace' cherries & regular small injections into the meat of Appletize or similar & a REALLY slow & low spit roast on a BBQ/smoker.

You won't be disappointed.
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen 1 rabbit in 7 years here; lots of boar sign but never spotted the animals. Saw a couple of sea otters, and plenty of hedgehogs until my dog discovered what fun they are.

Hedgehogs; why can't they just share the hedge?

Some big snakes, and of course plenty of birds of all sorts.
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

We're most likely to see the deer when the rut is on around September or so and although the javali are ultra wary, they adore the fallen sharon fruit that fall around october/november time and we'll occasionally see them then....... we see the sign more often than the javali themselves though.
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

nogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Might I suggest stabbing a few holes in a haunch & stuffing with garlic, apple & glace' cherries & regular small injections into the meat of Appletize or similar & a REALLY slow & low spit roast on a BBQ/smoker.

You won't be disappointed.
Noted!