Reload this Page >

Fiscal Representative

Fiscal Representative

Old Apr 4th 2018, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

mxmx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fiscal Representative

Hi Everybody,

Does anyone know of a reputable, cost effective, fiscal representative in Portugal?

Moved outside of the EU and my understanding is that I now need to designate a fiscal representative since I happen to have a Portuguese NINo number (NIF)...

Not a tax resident in Portugal nor do I have any income/property but don't have any family in the country that I could entrust with those responsibilities.

I went through some older threads in the forum and looked at the companies recommended but their annual fees are now over 300 euros a year which in my case feels like a lot of money.

Looking ideally for something in the 100-200 euro range and if anyone could recommend someone they've had a good experience with I would really appreciate it! I speak Portuguese so language is not a barrier

Thanks
Old Apr 4th 2018, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fiscal Representative

If you're not tax resident and don't own property in PT, what responsibilities do you think you have requiring of a fiscal representative?
Old Apr 5th 2018, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

Originally Posted by mxmx
Hi Everybody,

Does anyone know of a reputable, cost effective, fiscal representative in Portugal?

Moved outside of the EU and my understanding is that I now need to designate a fiscal representative since I happen to have a Portuguese NINo number (NIF)...

Not a tax resident in Portugal nor do I have any income/property but don't have any family in the country that I could entrust with those responsibilities.

I went through some older threads in the forum and looked at the companies recommended but their annual fees are now over 300 euros a year which in my case feels like a lot of money.

Looking ideally for something in the 100-200 euro range and if anyone could recommend someone they've had a good experience with I would really appreciate it! I speak Portuguese so language is not a barrier

Thanks

We were non residents for nearly ten years and never used a fiscal representative, total waste of money when all they do is pay your bills and as Mac and Mabel have said. it doesn't sound like you need one anyway.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies.

I agree with you that it doesn't seem to make sense for me to appoint one given that I don't have any tax matters to answer to.

With that said, after registering with the consulate following my exit from the EU I received a letter from the tax people (Autoridade Tributaria) informing me that it is the law that all citizens with a NIF living outside of the EU are required to appoint a fiscal representative in Portugal.

I wrote to them and explained my situation ( I wanted to see if I could cancel my NIF or perhaps be excused from that requirement ) but no luck.

So my options right now are to either ignore it (which could potentially lead to, I believe, a 750 EUR fine plus having to appoint a fiscal representative anyways), hire a lawyer in Portugal to look into canceling my NIF ( potentially a long and costly process ) or find a cheap fiscal representative.

I'm exploring all avenues and thought I would ask here to see if anyone knows of a fiscal representative that is cost-effective and hasn't given them any headaches.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

Have pm-ed you.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Mac and Mabel.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Looks like I need at least 4 posts to be able to see the message so here it goes
Old Apr 6th 2018, 9:47 pm
Banned

lapper is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

pm sent.

Kind regards,
Louis
Old May 2nd 2018, 10:36 pm
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

So can anyone state definitively whether it is the case that someone owning a house in Portugal BUT not being resident - just visiting for hols less than 6 months total in the year - IS or is not required by law to have a Fiscal Rep ?

If it is not a legal requirement can someone please set out exactly what they do ?

If you own a property and have an NIF does this mean you MUST send in a tax return each year ? If so I think i wd prefer to have a Fiscal Rep. do it for me, but I would much appreciate learning what the legal position is.
Thanks.
Old May 3rd 2018, 7:35 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

If you're resident in another EU member state you are not required to appoint a fiscal rep.

If you're not resident in Portugal and you don't have any income arising in Portugal, you do not file a tax return.

If you own a property under the above circumstances then all you need do is pay the annual tax. You can do this yourself from abroad provided you have a PT bank account and online access to your account with Finanças.
Old May 3rd 2018, 7:42 am
Banned

lapper is an unknown quantity at this point

PM-ed you, riv.

KR
Old May 3rd 2018, 7:59 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapper
PM-ed you, riv.

KR
Not information you'd like to share with the rest of the forum?

Hmm - I wonder why that is
Old May 3rd 2018, 8:37 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

This is useful ( and a relief ) to know.

By 'pay the tax' - I take it you mean the IMI - equivalent of local council tax ?
Do you know if the Ca^mara will arrange to send the demand to an address in uk ? It's a once a year thing so I suppose if one knows when to expect it it can be a peg on which to hang a visit ( and / or just pay with an international bank transfer ).

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Red Eric
If you're resident in another EU member state you are not required to appoint a fiscal rep.

If you're not resident in Portugal and you don't have any income arising in Portugal, you do not file a tax return.

If you own a property under the above circumstances then all you need do is pay the annual tax. You can do this yourself from abroad provided you have a PT bank account and online access to your account with Finanças.
Old May 3rd 2018, 10:59 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

ON another site I did read that if you have an NIF you DO have to make a tax return ( even if it's a nil income in Portugal one ).
AND have to have a Fiscal Rep..
Presumably there would be some sense in the Fiscal Rep being the Solicitador/a who acts for the buyer in the purchase of the property ?
Old May 3rd 2018, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riv
ON another site I did read that if you have an NIF you DO have to make a tax return ( even if it's a nil income in Portugal one ).
AND have to have a Fiscal Rep..
Presumably there would be some sense in the Fiscal Rep being the Solicitador/a who acts for the buyer in the purchase of the property ?
What was the "other site"?

From what I've read Red Eric is correct and this other site wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.