Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

First attitude experience

Wikiposts

First attitude experience

Old Jul 5th 2020, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First attitude experience

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I hope it stays that way for you and everybody else who hasn't ever experienced a bit of awkwardness.

It can be a bit daunting if someone is being less helpful than they might and you feel at a disadvantage through not being a native speaker of their language.
Even back in 76 I never had a problem with the language, if the person I was trying to engage with did not understand English they knew someone nearby who did and was willing to help

Had I back then thought I could earn a living I would have stayed. There was an opportunity to set up the first boat repair business in Vilamoura but at that time my experience was not up to it.

Last edited by Fredbargate; Jul 5th 2020 at 12:16 am.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 1:00 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lands21
Pleased that wasn't my first experience of dealing with people in Portugal as everyone has been nothing but helpful since moving here, so maybe she does have a boring job, but no excuse for being rude!
Indeed.

Anyhow, I notice rather late that you're new here, so welcome to the forum from me. I hope you'll be sticking around and sharing any information or experiences of interest and answering questions where you can. Or asking them if need be.

And don't worry about the snarling dogs at the gate - they're only playing!
Old Jul 5th 2020, 2:15 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

My wife (from Lisbon) always says that the Portuguese are more patient with the foreigners than with their own...... if you want to see some real "attitude" problems, try being Portuguese!

Most people are pleasant and helpful - moreso now than 20 years ago - but there is still an issue with those who gets a "gatekeeper" job in Portugal. It's rarer than before, but still some people .... a bank assistant, a local civil servant, etc., will maintain the old attitude - they are more "important" than you, whatever they are doing is more important than what you want and their private conversations should not be interrupted. They work there, you are just a client - and you're the one asking them for something, therefore you are inferior. If you then expect them to deal with the fact you don't speak Portuguese fluently and don't know "how things are done", well, so much the worse. Then there's the beloved bureaucracy..... my wife almost exploded when she went to the utility company to ask something, was the only person in at the counter, but was told she still needed a "senha" before they could talk to her!!

Shrug it off, life's too short.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barlaventoexpert
1st Question: Do you speak Portuguese?

2nd Question: Did you take someone with you who speaks Portuguese.

I would remind you that this is a damned difficult time for everyone working in the Health Services across the world, so CUT THEM SOME SLACK!!

Usually the reason for a "perceived" attitude problem is that when an "Estrangeiro" walks in, the immediate reaction on the part of staff of many Civil Service agencies in Portugal is " OH B*gger! I'm not paid nor trained to converse in a another language " & now I have to deal with this.

Add to this current Portuguese opinions on Brexit, Borisconi & England's attitude to Covid19, and one has a toxic mix.

Get to know the Portuguese well and you will learn how to work through these things.

I consider myself as a permanent resident, a local and entitled to reasonable service. I don't take prisoners and can give any functionary what for it I have to, BUT I usually find knowing the system & how the locals live & operate resolves things.
And well said Barloventoexpert.... If you want to talk about 'rude' you might try living as a foreigner in the Netherlands as i did for over 30 yrs. That was a lesson I have never forgotten .I now always think of the person I am talking too, what they feel in having to deal with me in a foreign language.How I feel when stumbling through one myself. Some people get defensive and act surly because they feel they are being tested and don't like it. I always begin with Portuguese and a smile , I try ,however stumblie and incorrect. It often works wonders if you show you are willing to try speaking the actual language of the country your living in. So many Brits can come across as arrogant . Can you imagine the reaction if you went into the council offices in say Worthing and set off in Portuguese. I eventually learnt Dutch ,but more importantly I learnt to smile and ask for help in that language when I got stuck. My goodness the difference was huge. My OH and I have never had a problem here because, I believe, of those earlier experiences of being a foreigner. I do however remember how horrible it felt when I first encountered it in NL.. so sorry the OP went through that .hopefully that will be the first and last time
Old Jul 5th 2020, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Lands21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: First attitude experience

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Indeed.

Anyhow, I notice rather late that you're new here, so welcome to the forum from me. I hope you'll be sticking around and sharing any information or experiences of interest and answering questions where you can. Or asking them if need be.

And don't worry about the snarling dogs at the gate - they're only playing!
Thank you for your message Red Eric. We have found this forum very useful so will certainly be sticking around
Old Jul 6th 2020, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
My wife (from Lisbon) always says that the Portuguese are more patient with the foreigners than with their own...... if you want to see some real "attitude" problems, try being Portuguese!

Most people are pleasant and helpful - moreso now than 20 years ago - but there is still an issue with those who gets a "gatekeeper" job in Portugal. It's rarer than before, but still some people .... a bank assistant, a local civil servant, etc., will maintain the old attitude - they are more "important" than you, whatever they are doing is more important than what you want and their private conversations should not be interrupted. They work there, you are just a client - and you're the one asking them for something, therefore you are inferior. If you then expect them to deal with the fact you don't speak Portuguese fluently and don't know "how things are done", well, so much the worse. Then there's the beloved bureaucracy..... my wife almost exploded when she went to the utility company to ask something, was the only person in at the counter, but was told she still needed a "senha" before they could talk to her!!

Shrug it off, life's too short.
macliam this post reminded me of one from the Spanish forum which included the following youtube clip

Old Jul 6th 2020, 8:06 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
macliam this post reminded me of one from the Spanish forum which included the following youtube clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXWZ3uAEKsw
Nice one!