Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

First attitude experience

First attitude experience

Old Jul 4th 2020, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Lands21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First attitude experience

Just wanted to say how disappointed we were with staff on the reception at Silves medical Centre. We are applying to exchange our driving license and needed to register with our local GP in order to get the required medical note. The attitude of the receptionist was terrible, extremely rude and very abrupt, no customer service skills what's so ever. First time we have experienced since arriving 3 years ago and hopefully will have no need to deal with them for a long time.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

santaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First attitude experience

equal here in Gois very unhelpful,my wife is hard of hearing but no consideration just tutting and shrugging of shoulders.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

The staff in the one in Ourique are lovely, all of them. Only one speaks a little English.

Sorry you had a bad experience, I had one similar in Faro Hospital a few years ago.

Just have to shrug your shoulders and get on with it.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

Yes,this can be a trait in the Portuguese.... in our health centre the receptionist there is pretty efficient,but getting a smile ... nope. The one who deals with prescriptions though is a law unto herself! Tells everyone that she's too good for the place and is as about as useful as a rubber knife. We complained about having to return twice for a prescription and she moaned that she was overworked etc etc while at the same time having a long conversation with one of her mates.
Went to an insurance office early this year to ask about an insurance quote for the house. No greeting smile, no conversation ..... nothing. We just sat there while we listened to him tapping along on the computer for 10 mins.Needless to say we did not give them our business.
My OH is Portuguese so i think I can speak with some authority here.! You get what you get....some are as happy as larry while others ............. I think it's probably because they sometimes have the most boring job in the world.
I remember when i first visited Portugal over 30 years ago ,and was amazed when many of them just shrugged if you asked a question and i thought "How rude",but 30 years later i now realise this is just there way of saying ,yeah it is a pain in the ****,but what can you do ?
Old Jul 4th 2020, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

To be fair, doctor's receptions in England are notorious for being officious little whotsits, I've only met one who wasn't.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bons
To be fair, doctor's receptions in England are notorious for being officious little whotsits, I've only met one who wasn't.
Oh I have to agree with you on that ! I have one who for years made my visits a nightmare, when I complained finally about her giving me false information and hiding my prescription ? !! I was asked did I really want to make it an official complaint ! and was told she got upset when she saw me and could not cope ! so shouted at me and was rude. I had a record of the incidents over the years. The manager was speechless.

My one visit to the clinic in VRSA was met with polite, clipped replies and effective treatment.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

Been coming here since 1984, owning since 1988, living since 2001, a Brit and an American. Can only recall one time to encounter rudeness and that was at a Worton photo developing counter.

Maybe it is the attitude of the foreigner and not the native that is the problem?

Old Jul 4th 2020, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

santaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond repute

so we are all liars then

Old Jul 5th 2020, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by santaanita
so we are all liars then
My experiences in Portugal since 1976 have always been pleasant with everyone helpful and willing.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 7:16 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
My experiences in Portugal since 1976 have always been pleasant with everyone helpful and willing.
I hope it stays that way for you and everybody else who hasn't ever experienced a bit of awkwardness.

It can be a bit daunting if someone is being less helpful than they might and you feel at a disadvantage through not being a native speaker of their language.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Lands21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Pleased that wasn't my first experience of dealing with people in Portugal as everyone has been nothing but helpful since moving here, so maybe she does have a boring job, but no excuse for being rude!
Old Jul 5th 2020, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

I think you also have to factor in that in many cases they are trying to converse with you in not their native tongue.

​​​​​​I know when I try to do a transaction in Portuguese I probably look surly, because I am concentrating so much on getting the right words out.

I am sure there are rude and we'll mannered people all over the world, Portugal and UK included.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

There's one particular 'lady' who works in the camara office at caldas-da-rainha who is an absolute arse hole, but you get them everywhere and our experience is that on the whole the Portuguese are, a very welcoming and friendly people.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dingg
There's one particular 'lady' who works in the camara office at caldas-da-rainha who is an absolute arse hole, but you get them everywhere and our experience is that on the whole the Portuguese are, a very welcoming and friendly people.
Perfection doesn't exist anywhere, I've met some right so and sos regularly in England.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lands21
Just wanted to say how disappointed we were with staff on the reception at Silves medical Centre. We are applying to exchange our driving license and needed to register with our local GP in order to get the required medical note. The attitude of the receptionist was terrible, extremely rude and very abrupt, no customer service skills what's so ever. First time we have experienced since arriving 3 years ago and hopefully will have no need to deal with them for a long time.
1st Question: Do you speak Portuguese?

2nd Question: Did you take someone with you who speaks Portuguese.

I would remind you that this is a damned difficult time for everyone working in the Health Services across the world, so CUT THEM SOME SLACK!!

Usually the reason for a "perceived" attitude problem is that when an "Estrangeiro" walks in, the immediate reaction on the part of staff of many Civil Service agencies in Portugal is " OH B*gger! I'm not paid nor trained to converse in a another language " & now I have to deal with this.

Add to this current Portuguese opinions on Brexit, Borisconi & England's attitude to Covid19, and one has a toxic mix.

Get to know the Portuguese well and you will learn how to work through these things.

I consider myself as a permanent resident, a local and entitled to reasonable service. I don't take prisoners and can give any functionary what for it I have to, BUT I usually find knowing the system & how the locals live & operate resolves things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.