Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Fire extinguisher

Fire extinguisher

Old Oct 9th 2017, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Bails27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fire extinguisher

Hi, anyone know where to get fire extinguishers from, serviced and kept in date?

We have a place near Lagos and looking to rent out short term.

Anywhere sell the signage required for AL.......Leroy Merlins?
Old Oct 9th 2017, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fire extinguisher

You can get extinguishers serviced by the local Bombeiros, amongst others.

If they can't supply new extinguishers and/or signage, they'll probably be able to suggest people who can.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

SilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really nice

You can buy the whole kit online, just search for "kit de alojamento local".
The fire extinguishers have to be serviced yearly and you can google "Manutenção de extintores" and try to get the nearest company to you. My local coffee shop gave me the number of the company that they use.

Last edited by SilviaAlgarve; Oct 19th 2017 at 10:13 am.
Old Oct 21st 2017, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Troia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really nice

Buy water or Co2 based, not dust. Because dust ones when go off there is a hell of a lot of cleaning up to do....and sometimes guests like to play with them
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I have lots of fire extinguishers, and have used them in a couple of serious situations too.

While CO2 is excellent for putting out [some] fires, and has a big advantage of leaving no mess, it's also dangerous to use inside. The liquid turns into a huge volume of gas, displacing the oxygen in the room, and can result in suffocation.
I put out an oil fire in a ship's engine room with one. Quite exciting.
Also a chimney fire in a body shop ventilation unit.

Water is great for wood or paper fires, not so good on other things and dangerous on oil fires.
Nice thing about my water ones is that I can refill and pressurize them myself. I keep one on the tractor in case of grass fire.

That's why powder is popular, but powder tends to cake up after sitting for a while, which is why the units need regular checking.

I also have a few precious banned halon ones. I keep one in the car.

For the OP of course, it's a question of what the AL regulations require.