Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Finding casual work during winter in Algarve?

Finding casual work during winter in Algarve?

Old Sep 20th 2007, 10:23 am
Just Joined

amy.h is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding casual work during winter in Algarve?

Ola,

I was after some advice about what the Algarve is like suring the winter? Does the winter sun still bring in the tourists like during the summer?

The reason i'm asking is that my father's got a flat in Faro and so I was thinking of coming over for a couple of months. I would need a job though, and I know the resorts of Albufeira etc offer british people bar jobs and the like during the summer because of all the English/Irish bars in the resort areas, but what are these places like in winter? Are they open all year round and still packed with tourists?

Also, as i'd have the place in Faro, I was wondering if there were many resorts closer to there? I researched Quinta do Lago as having a few english/irish bars/resaurants, any body know what this area is like, particularly in winter?

I have no previous bar experience but as i'm looking more for experience than cash, I'll be able to offer long/flexible hours up until christmas in return for the work and training and enough moeny for food, and would even be able to work christmas day if any cafes/pubs were looking.. I don't speak portuguese however, so what would the chances be of gaining this work in the algarve without experience?

So, after all my rambling was just after any advice about how the algarve is during the autumn/winter, and how likely it would be of finding casual work during the winter season in the algarve?

Cheers very much, any advice very much appreciated!
Old Sep 20th 2007, 11:58 am
Escaped to the Sun

Mattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really nice
Default Re: Finding casual work during winter in Algarve?

Ola lots of Algarve v dead in winter. Quinta do Lago is very posh and does have the golfers most of the year. Why not apply on-line to hotels and golf clubs etc - also try health clubs ar QdL and Vale d Lobo
Good Luck
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

Rob H is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finding casual work during winter in Algarve?

Hey Amy, I'm also in a similar situation, going to the Algarve in November and looking for work too and also considering renting a shop in the future. I will be nearer to Albufiera though in olhos d agua. Its going to be tough as I used to be a rep and know what its like to find work in the winter if you stay in resort.... but i'm sure if you look hard enough around the local town you should find something. Ah well should be a quality experience. If your ever around albufeira let us know. Good Luck..