Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Financial Advice help

Financial Advice help

Old Nov 27th 2021, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Financial Advice help

Originally Posted by appman999
Is an issue if you maintain a UK residence?

We are now thinking of becoming resident in Portugal to overcome the Brexit shambles but will spend nearly half the year back in the UK.
Short version - it's complicated. There's a very good chance your bank won't notice, but it's hard to say whether you are breaking some terms or losing some protections

Longer version
The UK has multiple sets of complicated overlapping rules to navigate

Having a UK residence doesn't automatically make you a UK resident. It is possible to be "ordinarily resident" in the UK while also being a resident of another country, but there are a series of complicated rules and tests to determine (for instance) whether you are entitled to free NHS care: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...d-purpose-tool

There is another series of complicated (but different) tests to determine if you are "tax resident" https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-test-srt-rdr3)

Then there's yet another different series of tests to determine domicile (spolier alert, it is very hard to escape UK domicile, but there are no real advantages to it, only disadvantages)

This is all so complicated that many/most people spending significant time in two countries just bury their heads in the sand and ignore it. Probably they get away with it most of the time
Old Nov 27th 2021, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan PT
Short version - it's complicated. There's a very good chance your bank won't notice, but it's hard to say whether you are breaking some terms or losing some protections

Longer version
The UK has multiple sets of complicated overlapping rules to navigate

Having a UK residence doesn't automatically make you a UK resident. It is possible to be "ordinarily resident" in the UK while also being a resident of another country, but there are a series of complicated rules and tests to determine (for instance) whether you are entitled to free NHS care: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...d-purpose-tool

There is another series of complicated (but different) tests to determine if you are "tax resident" https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-test-srt-rdr3)

Then there's yet another different series of tests to determine domicile (spolier alert, it is very hard to escape UK domicile, but there are no real advantages to it, only disadvantages)

This is all so complicated that many/most people spending significant time in two countries just bury their heads in the sand and ignore it. Probably they get away with it most of the time
As always the issue of residence brings discussion around the many related terms and issues. Luckily for me I think the NHS definition of 'ordinarily resident' is reasonably clear compared to the HMRC Statutory Residence Test.

I'm more concerned here about the implications on my UK bank accounts than HMRC rules and the Double Taxation Convention (separate problem)

Presumably if I have a UK residence to which they can send any correspondence or new cards, they would have no reason to suspend my banking?

I will also have limited need for the FSCS protection.
Old Nov 27th 2021, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

As always the issue of residence brings discussion around the many related terms and issues. Luckily for me I think the NHS definition of 'ordinarily resident' is reasonably clear compared to the HMRC Statutory Residence Test.

I'm more concerned here about the implications on my UK bank accounts than HMRC rules and the Double Taxation Convention (separate problem)

Presumably if I have a UK residence to which they can send any correspondence or new cards, they would have no reason to suspend my banking?

I will also have limited need for the FSCS protection.
Reason I bring it up is that you'll likely find some reference in your banks terms to UK Resident and/or UK Tax resident. That's what will, in theory, determine if there's an issue

In practice, as I say, there is a very good chance that your bank won't notice. With increasing interconnectedness of data that's not a certainty, but there's not a huge incentive for them to spend time on it
Old Nov 27th 2021, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Silly me, I should have checked t&c's first. No problem with my banks!
Old Nov 27th 2021, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Silly me, I should have checked t&c's first. No problem with my banks!
Nice, good to get it out of the "it's probably fine but..." pile!
Old Nov 27th 2021, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

So as not to mislead anyone, there are some restrictions but they don't affect me.
Old Nov 29th 2021, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Incidentally, on the financial advice front, if anyone received contacts from a firm called Private Client Consultancy and wondered where they suddenly appeared from, here is the information on their formation last year https://www.wealthadviser.co/2020/07...twork-launches