Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Exchanging UK driving licence for Portuguese

Exchanging UK driving licence for Portuguese

Old Feb 14th 2020, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Mitzi2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Exchanging UK driving licence for Portuguese

We have SWISS driving licences, having exchanged our U.K. licences for them some time ago. We missed the 90 day automatic exchange window. My wife submitted her licence for exchange in March 2019 under the old rule. Her licence was removed from her and she was given a piece of paper which says she is no longer allowed to drive. We have been waiting for her to be called for a driving test. We have been told by other SWISS holders that it can take up to 2 years to be called. When the law changed on 15th January we went back to IMT and they switched her application to the new law and gave her the paper licence which allows her to drive again. She is now awaiting the plastic licence to arrive in the post. I put my application in last week, within the two year period of having become resident in Portugal, it was exchanged for the paper licence without issue and I await the plastic licence. So if the U.K. licence falls into the group with the Swiss licence then you will have two years from becoming a Portuguese resident to make the exchange. We had not registered our licences prior to our applications.

Last edited by Mitzi2012; Feb 14th 2020 at 10:09 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzi2012 View Post
We have SWISS driving licences, having exchanged our U.K. licences for them some time ago. We missed the 90 day automatic exchange window. My wife submitted her licence for exchange in March 2019 under the old rule. Her licence was removed from her and she was given a piece of paper which says she is no longer allowed to drive. We have been waiting for her to be called for a driving test. We have been told by other SWISS holders that it can take up to 2 years to be called. When the law changed on 15th January we went back to IMT and they switched her application to the new law and gave her the paper licence which allows her to drive again. She is now awaiting the plastic licence to arrive in the post. I put my application in last week, within the two year period of having become resident in Portugal, it was exchanged for the paper licence without issue and I await the plastic licence. So if the U.K. licence falls into the group with the Swiss licence then you will have two years from becoming a Portuguese resident to make the exchange. We had not registered our licences prior to our applications.
The exchange within 2 years isn't in any doubt, the doubt is whether the licence is valid to drive on beyond 90 days after becoming resident.
Your's most definitely wasn't between March 2019 (when you became aware it wasn't valid because they refused your wife) and when you got your piece of paper last week.
i.e. You and your wife were both treated under the new law that allows an expired (Bilateral Agreement - Swiss, or 1968 Vienna Convention - UK) driving licence to be exchanged provided it expired within 2 years of becoming resident.

Last edited by Bomber Harris; Feb 14th 2020 at 11:07 pm.
Old Yesterday, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Mitzi2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Swiss Licence was valid to drive in Portugal for six months after becoming resident. I am not sure if this still holds under the change in the law.
Old Yesterday, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzi2012 View Post
The Swiss Licence was valid to drive in Portugal for six months after becoming resident. I am not sure if this still holds under the change in the law.
Section 125 of the RHLC hasn't been changed, a Swiss licence is still only valid to drive with for 185 days if you're a non resident, and must be exchanged within 90 days of becoming resident.
125.3 - The license holders referred to in paragraphs c), d) and e) of paragraph 1 are authorized to drive motor vehicles in Portugal during the first 185 days following their entry into the country, provided they are not residents.
125.4 - After establishing residence in Portugal, the holder of the licenses referred to in the preceding paragraph must exchange the driving license within 90 days.