British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Exchanging UK driving licence for Portuguese (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/exchanging-uk-driving-licence-portuguese-930266/)

Pivobelly Jan 23rd 2020 9:11 am

Re: Exchanging UK driving licence for Portuguese

Originally Posted by Diddion (Post 12794415)
But just make sure your UK licence does not expire or (Heaven forfend) you lose your licence, as that would mean a Portuguese driving test.

Exactly, especially as there seems to be a requirement to have at least 32hrs of lessons!! :)

Diddion Jan 23rd 2020 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Pivobelly (Post 12794416)
Exactly, especially as there seems to be a requirement to have at least 32hrs of lessons!! :)

Not sure whether 32 hours would be sufficient to achieve the Portuguese standards of driving.

macliam Jan 23rd 2020 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Diddion (Post 12794500)
Not sure whether 32 hours would be sufficient to achieve the Portuguese standards of driving.

Oh come on, it takes a lot of practice to ignore speed limits and tailgate.......... :sneaky:

Diddion Jan 23rd 2020 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12794502)
Oh come on, it takes a lot of practice to ignore speed limits and tailgate.......... :sneaky:

What about overtaking on bends; indicator mis and non-use, how to ignore white lines, and so-on? There is a lot to learn.

macliam Jan 23rd 2020 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Diddion (Post 12794546)
what about overrtaking on bends; indicator mis and non use, how to ignore white lines, and so-on? There is alot to learn.

I thought that was for the advanced motorists.......

Diddion Jan 23rd 2020 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12794547)
I thought that was for the advanced motorists.......

Thanks for the clarification!

mfesharne Jan 23rd 2020 1:31 pm

It won't affect UK passport & licence holders because of the Brexit situation but FWIW the 90 days to exchange rule was changed on ot around the 15th of this month & people from non EU member states now have 2 years to exchange instead of just 90 days.

Cortiz Jan 23rd 2020 8:06 pm

I just read that UK licenses in Spain must be exchanged by Jan. 31st, so good to know that Portuga isn't imposing such a pointless rule.

@mfesharne what are the "Simplex changes" of which you write?

mfesharne Jan 23rd 2020 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Cortiz (Post 12794748)
I just read that UK licenses in Spain must be exchanged by Jan. 31st, so good to know that Portuga isn't imposing such a pointless rule.

@mfesharne what are the "Simplex changes" of which you write?

Simplex is an ongoing Govt program designed to simplily bureaucracy. https://www.simplex.gov.pt/

Cortiz Jan 23rd 2020 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12794759)
Simplex is an ongoing Govt program designed to simplily bureaucracy. https://www.simplex.gov.pt/

That can only be a good thing. :thumbs_up:

mfesharne Jan 24th 2020 5:38 am

I can only assume it's Simplex but there are a number of good improvements happening in recent months.

Las year, they changed the rules for citizenship through marriage & that can now be claimed after 3 years instead of the former 5 & if a child together then no language test or proof of links to community/culture required & this year they're due to debate dropping the language test for some other citizenship application categories.

Red Eric Jan 24th 2020 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Diddion (Post 12794415)
But just make sure your UK licence does not expire or (Heaven forfend) you lose your licence, as that would mean a Portuguese driving test.

Originally Posted by Pivobelly (Post 12794416)

Sheer pedantry here but the lessons wouldn't be required in the case of an experienced driver with an expired or otherwise unexchangeable licence. Only learner drivers have to be submitted for the test by a driving school.

Diddion Jan 24th 2020 7:18 am

...but I am right about the test, I believe?

liveaboard Jan 24th 2020 7:52 am

I took a driving test last week, driving a 5 ton agricultural tractor with trailer around town with the IMTT guy driving behind giving instructions through a walky talky.

It went ok.
I had to reverse the trailer around a corner and then straight back at a correct distance from the curb.

I think 95% of drivers here are just fine. Like everywhere I've ever driven [and that's quite a few places] there is a minority of reckless persons on the road.
I never drove in the UK, maybe there are no idiots there.

wellinever Jan 24th 2020 8:42 am

yes of course there are idiots in the UK, but in my experience, no where near as many as there are in the Algarve.
Almost every day I end up with anxt when driving.