British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Exchanging UK driving licence for Portuguese (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/exchanging-uk-driving-licence-portuguese-930266/)

algarvebound May 15th 2020 2:59 pm

Re: Exchanging UK driving licence for Portuguese

Originally Posted by Pivobelly (Post 12853457)
I thought the NHR is a form of residency, no? I only mention it as it signifies that I do not have permanent residency, & at this moment in time I'm not expecting to. It's for this reason, along with the difficulty to complete the licence exchange due to my travel circumstances, that I was speculating on whether I would be able/motivated to complete the process. I agree its nothing to do with tax, in my case its to do with the duration of my residency.

You will need a residency certificate to go with your tax number, I also took a utility bill as proof of address.

Red Eric May 15th 2020 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by algarvebound (Post 12853419)
Final update. I emailed the main customer service again and they provided me with an appointment the following day. Arrived 30 mins early, had to wait outside for a few minutes then security guard checked a list and I was allowed to enter. It only took 15mins to do the exchange. 30 euros. I was the only person inside when I was being processed.

:thumbup:

A weight off your mind, I'm sure.

RichardHenshall May 15th 2020 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Pivobelly (Post 12853457)
I thought the NHR is a form of residency, no? I only mention it as it signifies that I do not have permanent residency, & at this moment in time I'm not expecting to. It's for this reason, along with the difficulty to complete the licence exchange due to my travel circumstances, that I was speculating on whether I would be able/motivated to complete the process. I agree its nothing to do with tax, in my case its to do with the duration of my residency.

NHR status is a tax status which is available to new residents of Portugal. If you have it you must have been resident at the time of application. If you were (or still are) deemed resident, then there are certain obligations you need to meet regarding driving licence registration and/or exchange.

algarvebound May 15th 2020 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12853520)
:thumbup:

A weight off your mind, I'm sure.

Yes, I think it's the final 'paperwork' I needed. Thanks again for your help.

Pivobelly May 15th 2020 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by algarvebound (Post 12853481)
You will need a residency certificate to go with your tax number, I also took a utility bill as proof of address.

Thank you algarvebound, duly noted.

Pilou May 26th 2020 7:09 pm

Driving licence nightmare

More than 6 months ago I started the procedure to exchange my foreign driving licence into a portuguese one.

I received a letter today (!!!), dated May 15, that I have 10 days to prove that the name on the foreign driving licence is the the same as on the residence permit. I have 4 first names and on my foreign driving licence there was no room for 4, so they put only 3 first names.

I need to go to the balcao unico to ask a proof that I am me .........

Pivobelly May 31st 2020 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by algarvebound (Post 12853481)

Yes, I have a residency certificate. Thanks for the tip on the utility bill.