Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Engine oil removal

Engine oil removal

Old May 14th 2020, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

carpingon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engine oil removal

Hi folks, has anyone come across the mechanical type of suction pump for removing engine oil in any of the motor factor/ spares shops in the Albufeira area? Tried a few shops with no success .
Old May 15th 2020, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Engine oil removal

It makes less mess to just drain it out from the bottom, but if you must have any sort of gizmo hard to find here, order it by mail from the UK.
Takes a couple of weeks for delivery these days.

I take old oil to my local garage where they have a big tank for it. They get paid a small amount for used oil so they don't mind.
Old May 16th 2020, 8:10 am
Just Joined

carpingon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. Thought that it might be the case, back to crawling around on the floor again trying to catch hot oil in bowl 😩
Old May 16th 2020, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

It takes a little practice but once you get the hang of it it's easier, and draining from the bottom gets more of the old oil out.
Master mechanic I worked for long ago taught me;
When you unscrew the drain bolt, hold it against the hole for the last couple of turns, until you feel the click of the thread and you know it's fully unscrewed. Just a drop or two of oil will sneak out.
Then pull it away fast, turning the bolt thread down over the drain bucket; the aim is to not get any on your fingers or the floor. And not to dop the bolt into the bucket.
Sometimes it works.
An old carpet will make lying on the floor more tolerable and catch any drops.
Make sure you're protected from wind. A small breeze will blow oil all over the place.
Always use jackstands before you go under a car! [I have to ad that]
I hate changing oil.
It's good to change it just before inspection, as new oil improves your emissions a little. It can make the difference between pass and fail sometimes.
Since my cars are old and need all the help they can get, that's when I do it.
Old May 16th 2020, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carpingon
Hi folks, has anyone come across the mechanical type of suction pump for removing engine oil in any of the motor factor/ spares shops in the Albufeira area? Tried a few shops with no success .
Many of the smaller marine diesels don't have a drain plug. Owner's use a suction pump with a thin tube placed down the dipstick hole to remove the oil. They work well but only with warm/hot oil. Have a look in your local boat chandler.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Briggs-Stratton-992423-Removal-Pump/dp/B00EPH9SVQ/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1DF3U7DQLT805&dchild=1&keywords=engine+oil+pump+extractor&qid=1589624563&sprefix=engine+oil+%2Caps%2C495&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyMUlYU1ZRM0Q4VTI5JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTYyNDA5MlBGNjNHUUwyUkhPViZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjYzNDgyMlBWV045QzlXUDhTWCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Last edited by audio; May 16th 2020 at 10:24 am. Reason: addition
Old May 16th 2020, 4:12 pm
Happiest in the sun

Score76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond reputeScore76 has a reputation beyond repute

The last poster has the right idea... Try Marc at Celtic Marine on Albufeira marina, I'll be amazed if he hasn't got one to sell you. I'm pretty sure I've seen them in Bricomania in Alcantarilha too.

Here:
https://www.bricomania.pt/index.php?...---MADER%C2%AE
Old May 16th 2020, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

I think "sucking it out from the top" maybe a reaction to the modern car with all it's plastic under engine / body protection guards. Just getting to the sump plug nowadays means removing, and probably breaking half the retaining clips, on your plastic underbody protection.

Then you have to find the oil filter!!!!

Give me an old Cortina where there was room for me and the engine under the bonnet!
Old May 16th 2020, 11:05 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chislenko
I think "sucking it out from the top" maybe a reaction to the modern car with all it's plastic under engine / body protection guards. Just getting to the sump plug nowadays means removing, and probably breaking half the retaining clips, on your plastic underbody protection.

Then you have to find the oil filter!!!!

Give me an old Cortina where there was room for me and the engine under the bonnet!
Also, there are some cars (e.g. Smart) that can only have thei oil removed by suction AFAIK - certainly that's the method my local Mercedes garage uses. The pumps are available on Amazon (and, presumably, any Smart-affiliated garage should be able to advise if they are available locally).
Old Jun 19th 2020, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

sidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond repute

Hi There,

Just spotted your post about the engine oil and I'm sure you've found a solution by now. But just thought that I'd let you know what my old man used to do when he changed the oil in his Ford Cortina Estate.
He always put the used oil in a big old metal drum and mixed it with creosote. (I don't know what the mix would be...probably fifty / fifty) and then he'd get a big brush and paint all the fence panels with it. I'm not sure how the plants and bushes survived, but they seemed okay and the fence panels lasted forever.
Best Regards
Old Jun 19th 2020, 4:43 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sidgold
Hi There,

Just spotted your post about the engine oil and I'm sure you've found a solution by now. But just thought that I'd let you know what my old man used to do when he changed the oil in his Ford Cortina Estate.
He always put the used oil in a big old metal drum and mixed it with creosote. (I don't know what the mix would be...probably fifty / fifty) and then he'd get a big brush and paint all the fence panels with it. I'm not sure how the plants and bushes survived, but they seemed okay and the fence panels lasted forever.
Best Regards
Fine, if you can find any creosote for sale, now that its classified as a probable human carcinogen..... in the UK it's for sale to "professional users only".
Old Jun 19th 2020, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

sidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond reputesidgold has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that...I've got to say...I didn't know that sales of creosote had been restricted.

It stands to reason I guess, but when I think how often we used it, it makes you wonder?
Cheers.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 5:44 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by sidgold
Thanks for that...I've got to say...I didn't know that sales of creosote had been restricted.

It stands to reason I guess, but when I think how often we used it, it makes you wonder?
Cheers.
Yes, as with many things I guess we now err of the "safe side". As a kid, my house had lined walls...... asbestos panels!

On the down side, "treated" timber in the UK now rots in a couple of years if in contact with moisture - garden edging needs replacing almost every season.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 5:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
Fine, if you can find any creosote for sale, now that its classified as a probable human carcinogen.....
Used engine all is also reported to contain carcinogens.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

I was in B&M the other day and was surprised to see Creocote on sale to the public, note they had spelt it with a C not an S so don't know if it was the real thing or a water based alternative.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 6:20 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by chislenko
I was in B&M the other day and was surprised to see Creocote on sale to the public, note they had spelt it with a C not an S so don't know if it was the real thing or a water based alternative.
Creocote - "Similar physical/water repellency/application characteristics of traditional Creosote but contains no biocide/preserver."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.