End of NHR

Old Oct 4th 2023, 8:04 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of NHR

Originally Posted by BBmatic
Thanks Eric .. this is unsettling news and thankful to receive it ASAP.
Not being overly familiar with NHR cut-off date requirements, can anyone let me know , if one possibly might NOT need a visa because EU citizen, (?) could a current non-resident still beat the 'possible' Jan 1st cutoff?
Easily - you'd have until 31st March of next year to claim the status if you became resident this year. For a EU citizen, becoming resident involves a simple registration process with the town hall equivalent of your area of residence, after which you'd update your fiscal address with the tax authority.

I can't tackle your questions on the other thread right now but I'll have a go early tomorrow, if I have a little more time.
Old Oct 4th 2023, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

BBmatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Red Eric

I can't tackle your questions on the other thread right now but I'll have a go early tomorrow, if I have a little more time.
Eric thank you so much for the NHR reply, it's v helpful - hope for me remains for a brief window.
However, the part of your reply which I snipped above /\ is genuinely good news for me as I need (as much as possible) to be confident of some basic facts. Thanks in advance & hope it's not overly onerous.
Old Oct 4th 2023, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

BBmatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Oops just noticed your reply said “if” time permits.. I didn’t intend to sound like i am relying on it !
Old Oct 5th 2023, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Easily - you'd have until 31st March of next year to claim the status if you became resident this year. For a EU citizen, becoming resident involves a simple registration process with the town hall equivalent of your area of residence, after which you'd update your fiscal address with the tax authority.

I'm not sure that will necessarily be true: https://www.servulo.com/en/knowledge...-of-2024/8498/

"The proposal will, subsequently, be discussed and, if approved, it will come into force on 1 January 2024. According to the information made available yesterday, those who already benefit from the regime may keep it, but no new applications may be accepted as of 2024 onwards."
Old Oct 5th 2023, 7:17 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shanorme
I'm not sure that will necessarily be true: https://www.servulo.com/en/knowledge...-of-2024/8498/

"The proposal will, subsequently, be discussed and, if approved, it will come into force on 1 January 2024. According to the information made available yesterday, those who already benefit from the regime may keep it, but no new applications may be accepted as of 2024 onwards."
Hmmm....

I'm working on the premise that it is the tax year in which one becomes resident that is the important factor, so applications for NHR relevant to the year 2023 should be accepted until 31st March 2024, even if the regime is closed off to new (2024 onwards) residents.

I could well be wrong, though.
Old Oct 12th 2023, 5:48 am
Polished expat

The draft budget has been published and Article 143 makes those provisions - in fact anyone holding even just a valid residence visa (for those who need them) by 31st Dec 2023 (ie not yet in possession of a residence pemit) will be eligible to apply for NHR provided they do so by 31st March 2024. So a little more generous than I had assumed :

Proposto Orçamento do Estado para 2024

Bearing in mind, of course, that this is only a draft and could - almost certainly will, in some respects of the overall proposal - suffer alterations. However, the Governernment does command an overall majority in Parliament and there doesn't seem (to me, at least) any particular reason for this part to be abandoned or significantly altered.
Old Oct 18th 2023, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

royle100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Eric - would I be correct in saying the "valid residence visa" is the 120 day visa that will be issued at stage 1 by the Portuguese consulate/embassy (prior to SEF appointment)?
I have my D7 VFS appointment in London on 3rd November and am hoping this will qualify me for NHR application (assuming D7 approved and visa issued prior to 31/12/23)
Old Oct 18th 2023, 1:14 pm
Polished expat

Originally Posted by royle100
Hi Eric - would I be correct in saying the "valid residence visa" is the 120 day visa that will be issued at stage 1 by the Portuguese consulate/embassy (prior to SEF appointment)?
I have my D7 VFS appointment in London on 3rd November and am hoping this will qualify me for NHR application (assuming D7 approved and visa issued prior to 31/12/23)
Yes - that is explicit in the quoted paragraphs but the window for applications to be made remains the same (ie if you can't make the NHR application prior to March 31st 2024 for whatever reason, the opportunity is lost).

Usual disclaimer - not yet set in stone etc