Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

The end of 10 years RNH nears .... what will you do?

The end of 10 years RNH nears .... what will you do?

Old Jun 12th 2019, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough
Default The end of 10 years RNH nears .... what will you do?

Hi,

A lot of people on this forum are enjoying the 10-years RNH. But time flies and the question is what would you do?
  1. stay in Portugal as a resident and pay your income tax in PT?
  2. keep your house as a non-resident and only stay less than 6 months?
  3. sell and leave Portugal?
  4. any other choice?
And what will Portugal do when thousands of people will come at the end of the RNH?

We are Dutch and we need to pay our income tax on our pension in the Netherlands as long as we profit from the RNH. After the 10-years period we will pay income tax in Portugal if we plan to stay. According to the tax treaty the Netherlands avoids any advantages Portugal wants to give to expats. Sweden followed this example recently .....

We don't know at this moment if we will stay resident or not. What we know is that we will pay a lot more income tax in PT than in France (where we have lived some years ago) after the RNH.
The state health care is also an item we need to take into account.

But what will Portugal do when as of 2023/ 2024 thousands of people will end their RNH period? I think that more than 50% will leave Portugal as a resident. Or Not?
On the other hand more and more countries want to change the tax treaty with Portugal and claim that pensions will be taxed in the source-country.

When I could decide for Portugal, I would stop the RNH for new expats in a couple of years. Then I would tax all pensions and other income from outside Portugal at a flat rate of 7.5% or 10%.
Is this unfair towards the Portugese people, who pay more income tax? No, because these pensions were built up abroad with tax facililies in those countries.

Looking forward to your reaction!
Old Jun 12th 2019, 12:26 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The end of 10 years RNH nears .... what will you do?

Originally Posted by Pilou
Hi,

A lot of people on this forum are enjoying the 10-years RNH. But time flies and the question is what would you do?
  4. any other choice?
And what will Portugal do when thousands of people will come at the end of the RNH?

We are Dutch and we need to pay our income tax on our pension in the Netherlands as long as we profit from the RNH. After the 10-years period we will pay income tax in Portugal if we plan to stay. According to the tax treaty the Netherlands avoids any advantages Portugal wants to give to expats. Sweden followed this example recently .....

We don't know at this moment if we will stay resident or not. What we know is that we will pay a lot more income tax in PT than in France (where we have lived some years ago) after the RNH.

But what will Portugal do when as of 2023/ 2024 thousands of people will end their RNH period? I think that more than 50% will leave Portugal as a resident. Or Not?
On the other hand more and more countries want to change the tax treaty with Portugal and claim that pensions will be taxed in the source-country.

When I could decide for Portugal, I would stop the RNH for new expats in a couple of years. Then I would tax all pensions and other income from outside Portugal at a flat rate of 7.5% or 10%.
Is this unfair towards the Portugese people, who pay more income tax? No, because these pensions were built up abroad with tax facililies in those countries.

It was bought in a a reaction to the crisis. The collapse in property sales.
Those days are over so no need to extend it.
I would not be surprised to see more countries blocking export of tax free incomes.
Tax being paid in the country where the income originates.

Last edited by EMR; Jun 12th 2019 at 12:35 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2019, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Think not what your country can do for you, rather think what you can do for your country!
Old Jun 12th 2019, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

It is not feasible to change tax treaties with so many countries as it will take years to do so. A simpler way to do it would be for Finland, NL, Sweden and others to come to an agreement with Portugal to not allow their nationals to apply for NHR.
Old Jun 12th 2019, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

You were extremely lucky to be allowed to have the RNH Pilou... The Netherlands wouldn't allow us to have it. We arrived right on the cusp of its inception and they denied it was possible for us to have it. forcing us to pay tax in Portugal. Of course once you have done that you become automatically ineligible for RNH. A bit of a low trick. If the only reason you are here is to escape paying tax like everyone else ,then maybe you should move back to France
.We are British, but lived in NL for over 30 yrs and at one time paid almost the highest level of tax. For us it was a feeling of duty ,a giving back to society for our privileged position. Might sound a tad pompous, but that's how we looked at it. we also saw where the money went in NL it was visible spent on the people. Maybe not so obvious in other countries .
Old Jun 12th 2019, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

LOL.......Shouldnt worry too much, the EU will have imploded in 10 years, and Portugal will be pleased to invite anyone in to pay the bills.
Old Jun 12th 2019, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

qianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond reputeqianh has a reputation beyond repute

So do most people here who have got NHR actually got tax free pension? Perhaps lots of people like me have NHR just for the in case senario, still working so not benefiting much from it yet.
Old Jun 12th 2019, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

1. stay in Portugal as a resident and pay your income tax in PT? VERY UNLIKELY
  2. keep your house as a non-resident and only stay less than 6 months? QUITE LIKELY
  3. sell and leave Portugal? THE MOST FINANCIALLY ASTUTE WOULD DO THIS JUST PRIOR TO END OF TENURE TO AVOID CGT
  4. any other choice? MOOTED SCHEME INTRO. TO ITALY POSSIBLY
And what will Portugal do when thousands of people will come at the end of the RNH? NOTHING - THE PEOPLE LEAVING HAVE FULFILLED THEIR
PURPOSE

N
Old Jun 12th 2019, 8:19 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingg
N
Enigmatic.

That'll keep 'em guessing
Old Jun 12th 2019, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

dingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond reputedingg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Enigmatic.

That'll keep 'em guessing
you'd never make a detective

Hint - look for the bold capital underlined words

👍
Old Jun 13th 2019, 5:48 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingg
you'd never make a detective

Hint - look for the bold capital underlined words

👍
Hiding in plain sight, eh?
Old Jun 13th 2019, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

4. any other choice?
!
Well we were planning to move to Portugal before we had even heard of the NHR scheme so what we would do is - 1.stay in Portugal as a resident and pay your income tax in PT.

I seriously doubt that many people have moved to another country just to take advantage of a tax scheme like this or maybe I am naive and people are more money orientated than I realise. I'd be happy for anyone who moved here purely to save paying tax to leave again.

Old Jun 13th 2019, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline
Well we were planning to move to Portugal before we had even heard of the NHR scheme so what we would do is - 1.stay in Portugal as a resident and pay your income tax in PT.

I seriously doubt that many people have moved to another country just to take advantage of a tax scheme like this or maybe I am naive and people are more money orientated than I realise. I'd be happy for anyone who moved here purely to save paying tax to leave again.

Quite agree Alice.. We loved the country and its people after coming here on holiday for 26 yrs previous to moving.here. I wouldn't move to another country purely to save on tax. As we found out when we were head hunted ( old term) to work in NL with the lure of higher wages. They hauled that money back by means of many other hidden costs .I know that's true in France as well as French /Swedish friends are coming over next spring to stay with us and look around with a view to moving here. The NHR might be dead by then, its not the only lure.
Old Jun 13th 2019, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline

My accountant informed me it has been known for some to arrive register nhr draw down completely their pension in one fell swoop and never be seen again - Spain anyone??

Whether this is fact or fancy who knows?
Old Jun 13th 2019, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by GeniB
You were extremely lucky to be allowed to have the RNH Pilou... The Netherlands wouldn't allow us to have it. We arrived right on the cusp of its inception and they denied it was possible for us to have it. forcing us to pay tax in Portugal. Of course once you have done that you become automatically ineligible for RNH. A bit of a low trick. If the only reason you are here is to escape paying tax like everyone else ,then maybe you should move back to France
.We are British, but lived in NL for over 30 yrs and at one time paid almost the highest level of tax. For us it was a feeling of duty ,a giving back to society for our privileged position. Might sound a tad pompous, but that's how we looked at it. we also saw where the money went in NL it was visible spent on the people. Maybe not so obvious in other countries .
Maybe you misunderstood, the Netherlands cannot stop anyone to have the RNH in Portugal. So were were not lucky to have it, BUT we will pay income tax in the Netherlands during our RNH on our Dutch pension, according to the tax treaty. As a result of this, our benefit from the RNH is almost zero.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.