Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Duty Exempt Car Import - Control

Duty Exempt Car Import - Control

Old Feb 9th 2017, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Duty Exempt Car Import - Control

Got caught by surprise this morning .
Shopping in Continente , mobile rings “We are from the Customs in Faro, can we see your car ? “. Obviously I said “yes” , “Fine we are outside your front door now !”

Drive home, two women waiting – routine follow-up on high value import exemptions. Check car docs and compare to originals presented in Faro then they had to see twelve months’ worth of utility bills to prove we actually live here. Did not know once the car is imported you have to be resident in Portugal for the first twelve months , of course knew about the sliding scale on the duty but politely informed I must not leave the country , except for holidays, before June 2017.

Big brother is watching you
Old Feb 10th 2017, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Duty Exempt Car Import - Control

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Got caught by surprise this morning .
Shopping in Continente , mobile rings “We are from the Customs in Faro, can we see your car ? “. Obviously I said “yes” , “Fine we are outside your front door now !”

Drive home, two women waiting – routine follow-up on high value import exemptions. Check car docs and compare to originals presented in Faro then they had to see twelve months’ worth of utility bills to prove we actually live here. Did not know once the car is imported you have to be resident in Portugal for the first twelve months , of course knew about the sliding scale on the duty but politely informed I must not leave the country , except for holidays, before June 2017.

Big brother is watching you
Customer of ours imported 1990's Mercedes(worth 10k max) from Switzerland(non-EU but still able to avoid the tax) as he had been living there for a few years, 6 months later the customs chapped his door only for his mother to tell them "He's moved away to Luxemburg", he ended up having to pay over 40k(taxes and fines), life ruined!

edit: It was GNR who went to his door & were sent by customs. I also know of others who have had a visit to check up.

Last edited by gedscottish; Feb 10th 2017 at 10:28 am.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Customer of ours imported 1990's Mercedes(worth 10k max) from Switzerland(non-EU but still able to avoid the tax) as he had been living there for a few years, 6 months later the customs chapped his door only for his mother to tell them "He's moved away to Luxemburg", he ended up having to pay over 40k(taxes and fines), life ruined!

edit: It was GNR who went to his door & were sent by customs. I also know of others who have had a visit to check up.
Amazing..Wonder what would have happened if I had been away on holiday
Old Feb 12th 2017, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

k2397 has a reputation beyond reputek2397 has a reputation beyond reputek2397 has a reputation beyond reputek2397 has a reputation beyond reputek2397 has a reputation beyond reputek2397 has a reputation beyond reputek2397 has a reputation beyond reputek2397 has a reputation beyond reputek2397 has a reputation beyond reputek2397 has a reputation beyond reputek2397 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedscottish

A cautionary tale indeed. When he moved to Luxembourg, had he sold the car on Portuguese plates?
Old Feb 12th 2017, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by k2397
A cautionary tale indeed. When he moved to Luxembourg, had he sold the car on Portuguese plates?
No, he still had it so it's not even like that's what drew attention.