Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Driving from UK to Faro

Driving from UK to Faro

Old Aug 21st 2011, 11:53 am
Just Joined

lvkth01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving from UK to Faro

I have always wanted to plan a trip by car from the UK to Portugal on a driving holiday. The problem is I don't really know where to start. Obviously I have looked on the internet and found a few sites. I was wondering if anyone has done this trip before and could give some advice on places to stay along the way and the best route to take etc. Any advice would be well received. I have been to the Algarve 5 times in the last 6 years but have always flown.

Thanks Keith
Old Aug 21st 2011, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Chesterfield - Derbyshire & Cabanas as often as possible!
Golfister is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving from UK to Faro

Hi Keith! We do this trip a couple of times a year and find it quite enjoyable. I would take a look at the website viamichelin - its good for route planning. The route we usually take is via Eurotunnel, Rouen, Le Mans, Bordeaux, across the border into Spain around San Sebastian, Burgos, Valladolid, Salamanca, Seville and then across the border into Portugal. The driving is easy if you take the motorway, although there are tolls.

We travel from Derbyshire and usually plan to have three stops because we don't like to rush and we like to see a few different places along the way, but it probably could be done quicker than that. Of course, there is always the option to take a ferry to Santander which would cut out the driving across France.

I can recommend several hotels along the above route if you need any.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Appreciate you taking the time to reply. I'm the same as yourself, i would like to take it easy and take in the sights along the way. I would be travelling with my wife and 2 kids aged 11,16.

I am the only driver so would need regular stops along the way. If you could give me some places you have stayed that would be brilliant.

I was planning it to take 3 days to get there. We live in Liverpool. Some of the reviews. I have read have suggrsted avoiding Paris as it is very busy etc

In the meantime, I will take a look at the website you have suggested.

Thanks Keith
Old Aug 21st 2011, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I would avoid the Paris route - some websites/satnavs suggest it because I think it's quicker in mileage terms, but the route that goes a bit more west, via Rouen, Le Mans and Poitiers is much less stressful!

A couple of times we have made stops for more than one night - once at Salamanca and then again at St Emilion, which is an easy 20 minute or so drive off the route near to Bordeaux and is a beautiful town. You could also consider stopping a bit longer in Seville if you've not been there.

I guess it depends on how much you want to pay for the overnight stops as there's only two of us and you have two youngsters to consider, but in France we have sometimes stopped in Chambres d'Hote (I think there's a dedicated website) which are great for B&B and often you can have an evening meal with the hosts and practice your French! Also, for France, check out the Logis de France website - you can search for small hotels on a map along the route and they are usually quite reasonable.

If we're not going in to the town centre, there's a hotel near to Salamance just off the motorway called the Hotel Dona Brigida - we nearly always spend a night there as the rooms are large and clean and it's an excellent stop.

Another regular haunt further north, which we often make our first, or last, stop is the Auberge du Bec Hellouin - it's a lovely place in a beautiful village.

We've never run out of new places to try in France, although along the route in Spain it seems a bit more sparse.

If you have the time, we much prefer it to flying - we just chuck everything in the car and off we go
Old Aug 21st 2011, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Driving from UK to Faro

You have given me some great advice and accomodation to look at. I very much appreciate the time you have taken. I'll spend some time looking on the internet this afternoon using the information you have supplied.

I have a sat nav which will also help as this wil take some of the stress away from travelling in unknown territory. A bit worried about tiredness but regular stop off's should help with that one.

It is something I have always wanted to do and I think now is the time to give it a go.

Thanks Again

Keith
Old Aug 21st 2011, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

No problem Keith. Yes a satnav makes it easy really. We've found it busy/tricky only really in two places - around the Spanish border and perhaps going around Seville, but nothing as bad as the M25!!!

I must say when we do it there are two of us driving and we tend to do about 3 hours each and it's fine. Not sure about if there was only me driving though. You might want to consider stopping for two nights on the middle stop.

Another tip if you shop at Tescos - you can exchange your vouchers for Eurotunnel tickets
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 9:45 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lvkth01
I have always wanted to plan a trip by car from the UK to Portugal on a driving holiday. The problem is I don't really know where to start. Obviously I have looked on the internet and found a few sites. I was wondering if anyone has done this trip before and could give some advice on places to stay along the way and the best route to take etc. Any advice would be well received. I have been to the Algarve 5 times in the last 6 years but have always flown.

Thanks Keith
Hi
came down from East Anglia to Granada in April this year, with dog, found it a pleasant trip, except for one piece around Zaragozza but you can miss that (its very long term roadworks)

we timed the chunnel to arrive early evening, stayed overnight in motel and ate in the chunnel zone. good food and helpful staff, enabled us to have an early start in the morning.

try http://about-france.com/travel.htm
they have a map showing the Western Route thru France, we modified it a little and came down the A10 instead of the N10, staying overnight in Angouleme.

The route thru Spain was well marked, just I didnt like the heights some of the bridges and roads hanging from the side of mountains. Even Madrid was great at 11.00 weekday, missed one turn off the southern ring, but soon got back again.

OH and I did approx 4 hours each, which appeared to be the correct balance for each of us.

Google streetwalk will give you a good idea of what some of the roads will be like if you have doubts.

enjoy

rgds
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

I have been doing this journey both to Algarve and Costa de Sol for over 20 years. I think I have come very way except through Calais. If travelling through France I rarely take the toll roads and I go the Rouen Evreux route. There is a website that lists Travellodge type hotels that I recommend. http://www.day-tripper.net/hotels-in-france-budget.html. I use Premier Classe usually as they are clean and have en suite facilities unlike Formule1 that only have shared facilities. The roads are a lot quieter than UK and as a result I tend to speed if I relax a bit (not recommended). There are some beautiful places on the journey ans I hope that you enjoy it.
PS A big support for a sat nav. My wife says it saved our marriage. I think it saved her life.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Green_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud ofGreen_shutters has much to be proud of

Not yet done the journey it myself but planning to do so. My brother in-law, wife and two children 7 & 5 has just done the return trip for the first time. They did the Portsmouth - Santander route out and Santander - Plymouth back. Had a good trip and with Sat Nav down through Spain no trouble to the Eastern Algarve. Took them 8.5 hours from the Santander. Had a break on both journeys. They said they will do it again.

There is another route taking he Chunnel and then driving to St Nazaire. You can then pick up a ferry from there to Santander. Cuts off a big chunk of driving.

Plenty of entertainment for the children of that age and older plus you get a cabin and sleep. Food can be expensive on board but a tip worth remembering for the ferry is take your cool box up from the car deck!

Worth looking on the Spanish Forum where there is some good advice as to where to stop over.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

One thing I forgot to mention is I come via Seville even though I am in Praia da Luz as the roads are free in Spain and it only adds on less than 1 hour to the journey.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

masterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to all

coming from north of scotland makes it really long for us and pets.Sorry long post.

Our stops are different because of the extra shift of driving compared to all you tea drinkers.We do the tunnel, cos of the pets mostly , lots of the cheaper motels allow dogs and cats.Pet passport is great.

The tunnell is cheaper if as golfister says you use tesco vouchers or even just book in advance.

Our route is tomtom all the way and using the tolls , its not cheap though and some are changing to cards rather than having a human to take cash.Beware though it ate one of our cards , i think we put the wrong kind though.Have a clip board with plastic cash bag and it makes the cash toll stops easier for the passnger to reach the kiosk if yur using a rhd car....put those rubber door protectors on door edges as well incase your passenger opens door and thus prevent a dent when trying to reach the operator.

cant say i had any problems with paris , other that the two large tunnels where the bikers let it go as i try to avoid rush hour , but seville , roads are terrible , just who planned it a sadist , and the locals there are the worst drivers you will see on the trip.

we do Calais - tours or or bayonne ,then valladolid( you can ommit tours and bayonne but summertime only if your fit as its a long run espec with one driver and kids).

I think for tolls I was about 150 euros each way , the price of motels has increased a lot in the last few years.You can get tomtom point of interest for fuel , hotel motel and macdonalds etc which makes the journey a bit easier.

I wouldnt reccomend it without maps as a backup and a print out from routefinder or michelin.Foodstops are as expensive same as the uk along the motrways.

ESSENTIALS Eu breakdown pack.Also put a pack of bottled water in the boot , a toilet roll and your change of clothes toiletries in a holdall in last.Painkillers , anti histamines , laxatives and anti diarhea tabs are a must in the glovebox , even if you never use them the security of having is enough.Back up glasses and sunglasses if you have a perscription or anyone else travelling does.Emergency first aid kit in the boot .Oil for engine.Empty fuel carrier.Bottle fire ext.Tyre inflate can.Tyre jack and spare check.

If your car has a cd multplayer that does mp3 they are a godsend , 6cds full of mp3 and you dont have to mess about with changing cds.Kids= personal mp3 , dvd players and headphones.

Have europe breakdown cover and contact your insurance to make sure your covered for more than just 3rd party.

Have the paper part of your licence , copies of insurance and your passport handy for the occasional anti brit copper.Cash for any fines on the spot.

Ehic card and travel insurance details are a must , not just if you or your passenger is on any long term meds or has a condition.Notes of medical history , allergies and registered GP.

New legislation means high vis vests for all occupants too in the event of a breakdown.Seen stories about fines for this , especially in france for brits.Make sure your car has eu plates or gb sticker and beam benders if not lhd.

If your car is over 3 years old(25k miles+) I would also get a mot pre check from the dealer ,service interval check with battery/coolant/oil/aircon condition , could save you a lost holdiay or worse.

Keep a phone charged for emergency use only , ideally a 3g as they can be gps located -sat navs can usually give you gps co-ords too in the settings- handy if you need breakdown assit.If you need new tyres before your journey anyway then get run flats especially if your really loading up the car.

fail to prepare = prepare to fail , planning is the key to making the journey as stress free as possible.Kids will get bored , even if then have the latest handheld.Partners/kids will need a pee 100 miles from no where.Kids will get the runs.Partners are not good supplements for wing wirrors.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Driving from UK to Faro

Thank You to all who have replied. I have got lots more information than I expected to be honest. Lots of good hints and tips which is really handy and ones that I will take on board from those who have done the trip numerous times.

You are right with your logo fail to prepare= prepare to fail.

Believe me I will be planning this trip with military planning. Really looking forward to the experience and the views am sure will be something else, that's the main reason for doing this, along with the little overnight stopovers in little towns I would normally never visit.

The feedback from all has been a great help.

Thank you so much

Keith
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 3:04 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lvkth01
Thank You to all who have replied. I have got lots more information than I expected to be honest. Lots of good hints and tips which is really handy and ones that I will take on board from those who have done the trip numerous times.

You are right with your logo fail to prepare= prepare to fail.

Believe me I will be planning this trip with military planning. Really looking forward to the experience and the views am sure will be something else, that's the main reason for doing this, along with the little overnight stopovers in little towns I would normally never visit.

The feedback from all has been a great help.

Thank you so much

Keith
OK Keith
its over to you to tell us (honestly) how you got on

something I don't think anyone else has covered, make sure about your debit and credit cards are cleared for use in Europa, when getting petrol the OH had a problem with her uk debit card but my credit card cleared it - 3 bristling Frenchmen queued up behind us

enjoy
Old Sep 5th 2011, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

waysan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Domino
OK Keith
its over to you to tell us (honestly) how you got on

something I don't think anyone else has covered, make sure about your debit and credit cards are cleared for use in Europa, when getting petrol the OH had a problem with her uk debit card but my credit card cleared it - 3 bristling Frenchmen queued up behind us

enjoy
Just done the trip big tip avoid travelling on sunday in France petrol stations closed, few and far between so look for the 24/24 pre pay stations!! good luck preparation is the key!!
Old Sep 5th 2011, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by waysan
Just done the trip big tip avoid travelling on sunday in France petrol stations closed, few and far between so look for the 24/24 pre pay stations!! good luck preparation is the key!!
all we could find was card machines, but at least you have done it and appear to still be smiling
rgds