Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Driving test in Portugal

Driving test in Portugal

Old Jan 14th 2021, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving test in Portugal

Has anyone on here taken one? Do you know if you do take it you are then classed as a novice driver for insurance purposes?
Old Jan 14th 2021, 1:01 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving test in Portugal

I didn't take a PT test but my UK licence was obtained very shortly indeed before arriving in PT (like, 2 days before I left the UK )

When I was buying insurance, the agent quizzed me about whether I'd ever previously held a licence, which I had, many years previously in another part of the world, although I never drove after obtaining it and didn't do anything about changing it to a UK licence when I moved there. He explained that it would be much cheaper for me if he put me down as a driver since obtaining the first licence, so that's what happened. I did have the original licence amongst my possessions at home but he wasn't interested in seeing it, just took my word for it for form-filling purposes.

From previous questions, I thought you already had a UK licence though
Old Jan 14th 2021, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I didn't take a PT test but my UK licence was obtained very shortly indeed before arriving in PT (like, 2 days before I left the UK )

When I was buying insurance, the agent quizzed me about whether I'd ever previously held a licence, which I had, many years previously in another part of the world, although I never drove after obtaining it and didn't do anything about changing it to a UK licence when I moved there. He explained that it would be much cheaper for me if he put me down as a driver since obtaining the first licence, so that's what happened. I did have the original licence amongst my possessions at home but he wasn't interested in seeing it, just took my word for it for form-filling purposes.

From previous questions, I thought you already had a UK licence though
I do, but I thought you had to take a Portuguese test if you didn't relinquish it after a certain time and swap to a Portuguese one.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

You can exchange a UK licence for up to 2 years from the date you became resident, if not done within that 2 years then you would have to take a PT driving test.
But as the transition period has ended a UK licence is only valid for driving for 90 days of the date of becoming resident, even if you became resident prior to 31/12/20.
Old Jan 14th 2021, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris
You can exchange a UK licence for up to 2 years from the date you became resident, if not done within that 2 years then you would have to take a PT driving test.
But as the transition period has ended a UK licence is only valid for driving for 90 days of the date of becoming resident, even if you became resident prior to 31/12/20.
I know, that's why I was asking about the test. Is it difficult and what is your insurance status? I think they brought that in in April '20
Old Jan 15th 2021, 7:35 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bons
I know, that's why I was asking about the test. Is it difficult and what is your insurance status? I think they brought that in in April '20
Why would you want to take a test, rather than just submit the licence for exchange within the 2 year window?

If you were starting from scratch with getting a PT licence, you'd need to have a minimum 28 hours of theory instruction and pass that test, plus a minimum 32 hours and 500 km of practical lessons, all with a driving school.

The lessons and theory test can (if I remember correctly but I haven't got time to delve into it right now) be dispensed with in the case of the driver already having held a licence or holding a foreign licence. However, if you already hold a foreign licence and show it, I presume you'd be advised (and possibly obliged) to obtain the PT licence via exchange, assuming you were still within the time limit to do so.
Old Jan 15th 2021, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Why would you want to take a test, rather than just submit the licence for exchange within the 2 year window?

If you were starting from scratch with getting a PT licence, you'd need to have a minimum 28 hours of theory instruction and pass that test, plus a minimum 32 hours and 500 km of practical lessons, all with a driving school.

The lessons and theory test can (if I remember correctly but I haven't got time to delve into it right now) be dispensed with in the case of the driver already having held a licence or holding a foreign licence. However, if you already hold a foreign licence and show it, I presume you'd be advised (and possibly obliged) to obtain the PT licence via exchange, assuming you were still within the time limit to do so.
I don't think it is a 2 year window, if it was I wouldn't be bothered about it, it has to be done in 90 days and we had to come back to the UK.
Old Jan 15th 2021, 7:57 am
Polished expat

It doesn't have to be done in 90 days.

The licence is only valid to drive on, as a resident, for 90 days after obtaining the residence document. It remains valid for exchange, without having to take a test, for a full 2 years.
Old Jan 15th 2021, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

It doesn't have to be done in 90 days.

The licence is only valid to drive on, as a resident, for 90 days after obtaining the residence document. It remains valid for exchange, without having to take a test, for a full 2 years.
You sure about that? If so, no problem.
Old Jan 15th 2021, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it is a 2 year window, if it was I wouldn't be bothered about it, it has to be done in 90 days and we had to come back to the UK.
So the question for you is that when you return from UK, that being after the 90 days of becoming resident, you are not allowed to drive in Portugal?
Old Jan 15th 2021, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wellinever
So the question for you is that when you return from UK, that being after the 90 days of becoming resident, you are not allowed to drive in Portugal?
I thought we had to exchange our UK driving license for a Portuguese one within 90 days, or you have to take a test if it's longer than that.
Old Jan 15th 2021, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

What Eric is saying is that you have 90 days after becoming a resident to exchange your licence.
If you do not make that exchange within that 90 days, you are not allowed to actually drive in Portugal.
But if you do not want to drive in Portugal, then you still have 2 years after becoming a resident to exchange your UK licence Without taking a test.
Old Jan 15th 2021, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

You sure about that? If so, no problem.
Red Eric is sure, I'm sure, but you don't seem to want to believe either of us. In which case here's the same info from the source (IMT), will you believe that?

http://www.imtonline.pt/index.php/tr...d-situation-13
Old Jan 15th 2021, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

If you are a couple Bons, and both have a uk licence, just change one now. I think you can do all of that online from the UK, incl medical online (well I can`t see why not).
Old Jan 15th 2021, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wellinever
If you are a couple Bons, and both have a uk licence, just change one now. I think you can do all of that online from the UK, incl medical online (well I can`t see why not).
I could do that, but then I won't have a UK licence, would that affect my current insurance in the UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.