Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Driving licence exchange

Driving licence exchange

Old Dec 8th 2021, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

morro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving licence exchange

Is there a place in Tavira, where they will do it for you?
Old Dec 8th 2021, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving licence exchange

I suppose you have read the other threads on the subject? Start here http://www.imtonline.pt/index.php and bottom of the page... and then Tavira IMT will come under the Algarve office?
https://www.imt-ip.pt/sites/IMTT/Por...aspx?servico=0
Old Dec 8th 2021, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

morro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond reputemorro has a reputation beyond repute

I was not clear. I am looking for an agency to do it for me.
Old Dec 8th 2021, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

All an agency could do is fill in the same online forms that you could. There are some things where an agent can help remove some hassle from your life, but I'd say this isn't really one of them

The British Embassy "Brits in Portugal" Facebook page posts periodic official updates to make the process clear and you'll also find plenty of info on here, but the basic process is actually simple (just not very fast or efficient)

You'll see a lot of people complaining about delays and screw-ups with the process (sadly that's a fact, though it does seem to be slowly improving) - if you use an agency then you'll likely have a nagging worry that they may have messed up or missed something, at least with applying direct to IMT there's no extra middle-man to worry about

Old Dec 8th 2021, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morro
I got Ricardo Biss to do all my paperwork for me, including driving license. He is in Lagoa.
Old Dec 9th 2021, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Find a local driving school and ask in there - they may well help you out with what you need to do, where to find a doctor who can do your approved medical check (you have to have one who can upload direct to the IMT) and generally how to go about it. They deal with IMT regularly for their students passing tests etc, so know the system well. They may offer to do it for your for a fee, but you really do not need help filling in the form! If you are doing an exchange of UK licence then that is a bit different but is laid out clearly here on the forum and also on the IMT webpage. Look at the webpage first so you have an idea of what you are up against! The first page, at the bottom, even invites you in English to do your licence exchange --- http://www.imtonline.pt/
Old Dec 9th 2021, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

We use Ricardo and Gracy Biss also. They do it all for you and know all the Officials.
Old Dec 9th 2021, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you to everyone.I am going to do it myself. I have got all the paperwork. Just need a medical!
Old Feb 5th 2022, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Campanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really nice

Not surprised. My application was rejected , there was a problem with the size of one of the files . I am going to try on my laptop in uk . One thing they said was missed was a certificate of regular of expression of interest. Any ideas what this is ? Is the code you get from dvla
Old Feb 5th 2022, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a place in Tavira, where they will do it for you?

Go to Vila nova de Cacela - JST.
https://jst.pt/en/
Not used them myself but several favourable reviews from friends
Old Feb 8th 2022, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Campanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really niceCampanula is just really nice

I’ve applied again after much manipulating of documents on a phone laptop, desktop and printer scanner. I already have confirmation email and within 2 mins I am 2 steps further on than before
Old Feb 9th 2022, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Artfuldodger128 is an unknown quantity at this point

The IMT asks for the 'certificate of authenticity' in the application process. Does anyone exactly knows what that is?

I supplied the check code information from this DVLA webpage https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence but got a response from IMT saying that it has expired. Obviously by the time they (IMT) pick up the application any information would likely to be out of date. I submitted my application in Nov2020.
Old Feb 9th 2022, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond reputeAlan PT has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Artfuldodger128
The IMT asks for the 'certificate of authenticity' in the application process. Does anyone exactly knows what that is?

I supplied the check code information from this DVLA webpage https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence but got a response from IMT saying that it has expired. Obviously by the time they (IMT) pick up the application any information would likely to be out of date. I submitted my application in Nov2020.
Well, I was told by IMT Lereia:
"Informa-se que o campo “Certidão de Autenticidade | Certificate of Authenticity” no formulário está assinalado como de preenchimento obrigatório, no entanto, até 31-12-2020 ainda está dispensado de apresentar esse documento, pelo que se sugere que carregue um qualquer documento para conseguir fazer a submissão do formulário."

i.e. in the EU license exchange procedure it's not actually needed, so just upload anything

Other people were asked to submit the DVLA code (and this advice was also issued by the British Embassy at one point). Obviously this expires quite quickly, so needs to be re-requested and resubmitted when your application actually starts being processed

Other people were told that they had to get a form from DVLA, which had to be requested by phone and posted to Portugal

So, not much consistency, but if they contacted you saying that the code has expired then I'd go for just submitting a new code
Old Feb 11th 2022, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

1Steve is an unknown quantity at this point

I applied to change my licence in November last year and the request was correctly registered. Today I got an email from IMT that says my documentation was not correct:
Informa-se que dos documentos enviados, falta manifestação interesse emitido pelo SEF ou C.Registo de Cidadão U.Europeia, assim pedido não foi registado, tem que submeter novo pedido com todos documentos

Translated -
It is informed that of the documents sent, lack expression interest issued by the SEF or C.Registration of U.European Citizen, so request was not registered, has to submit new application with all documents.

I submitted my application with the certificate of residence for a European citizen so not sure what they are asking for. Does it need to be certified by a notary or something ? The address where I live now is different to the one on my European Resident certificate.

How long is the medical certificate valid for?

Last edited by 1Steve; Feb 11th 2022 at 4:00 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2022, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1Steve
I applied to change my licence in November last year and the request was correctly registered. Today I got an email from IMT that says my documentation was not correct:
Informa-se que dos documentos enviados, falta manifestação interesse emitido pelo SEF ou C.Registo de Cidadão U.Europeia, assim pedido não foi registado, tem que submeter novo pedido com todos documentos

Translated -
It is informed that of the documents sent, lack expression interest issued by the SEF or C.Registration of U.European Citizen, so request was not registered, has to submit new application with all documents.

I submitted my application with the certificate of residence for a European citizen so not sure what they are asking for. Does it need to be certified by a notary or something ? The address where I live now is different to the one on my European Resident certificate.

How long is the medical certificate valid for?
You can reply to the email and ask them

At a guess though, it's most likely the fact that your address is wrong, you should really get this changed, contact SEF: https://brexit.sef.pt/en/

From memory, I think the medical was valid for six months, but does it not say on it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.