Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Driving from Bilbao to Lagos

Driving from Bilbao to Lagos

Old Dec 11th 2023, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Lelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant futureLelandy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Driving from Bilbao to Lagos

Originally Posted by westernliving
I assume when you leave Monesterio you travel to Seville. It seems a long way round to get to Lagos or is it because the roads are better using that route?
We live in Tavira so Seville is a no brainer, as as soon as you enter Portugal further north you have tolls on the motorway. There are non toll routes but much slower.
Old Dec 11th 2023, 4:58 pm
Living the Dream

westernliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lelandy
We live in Tavira so Seville is a no brainer, as as soon as you enter Portugal further north you have tolls on the motorway. There are non toll routes but much slower.
It makes complete sense going through Seville for Tavira. Thanks for your comments.
Old Dec 11th 2023, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

1Steve is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a great link, thanks. You say you used your debit card, it obviously worked. The reason I mention it is, the site says a credit card but can I assume from your experience its either?
I used my N26 card that is a Mastercard but it worked like a debit card so not really sure to be honest, I couldn't spend anything if I had no money in my account. I would not think you would have any problems as they can track you down and fine you for unpaid tolls. The machine will let you know when you insert your card and it speaks English if I remember correctly.
Old Dec 12th 2023, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Dafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really nice

We were intending to go the Salamanca route because this is what was recommended to us. How long ago was the incident?
April 2010. I got accustomed to avoiding Salamanca since then and have just stuck with it. As said already, it,s about an hour longer but I,m comfortable with that.
Old Dec 19th 2023, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Have always done the "straight down the west" toll free route.

We always stop roughly half way down at Bejar (Spain) not to be confused with Beja (Portugal)
Old Dec 19th 2023, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

For the last 15 years we've always flown to Faro and hired a car. In April next year we've booked the ferry; we're landing at Bilbao and driving down to Lagos. I'm very comfortable driving in Europe but there are a couple of journey specific questions. I know from a friend it can be driven in a (very long) day but we want to stop overnight en route.

My questions are,
Have any of you a personal recommendation where to stay on the journey down, say a couple of hours south of Bilbao?
What's the situation paying Motorway tolls in Spain?
How do I register my car for the Motorways in Portugal?
I've looked at the maps for a route and it seems straightforward but have any of you a suggestion for a route you've personally driven?
Six weeks ago I drove from Santander stopping at the Paradore in Salamnca for two nights recomended. Then on to Serpa for 10 minutes and then to Altura.
GPS avoiding tolls
This followed driving from Gibraltar to Santander in a day again avoiding tolls.
Back in April
Old Dec 30th 2023, 12:49 pm
Living the Dream

westernliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond reputewesternliving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Six weeks ago I drove from Santander stopping at the Paradore in Salamnca for two nights recomended. Then on to Serpa for 10 minutes and then to Altura.
GPS avoiding tolls
This followed driving from Gibraltar to Santander in a day again avoiding tolls.
Back in April
Having read the threads we've also decided to stay the night in Salamanca. When we arrive in Portugal we will need to use the toll roads. Does anyone know of a border crossing on the way from Salamanca where we could log the credit/debit card bearing in mind we want to end up in Lagos?
Old Dec 30th 2023, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point

This website shows you the options and the locations for Easytoll at border crossings. https://www.portugaltolls.com/en
Old Dec 31st 2023, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

1711JohnB is an unknown quantity at this point

On registering your UK car at an easy toll, make sure that the ANPR camera that reads your plate reads the correct number. This appears on the receipt that the machine spews out. Doing it online, you should not have any issues. This happened to me coming into Portugal in November and I did not bother to check at that time as I had never had an issue before. Phoned the number on the bottom of the ticket, spoke to a good English speaking girl in Lisbon and got it sorted.

The ticket only lasts for 30 days so you will have to renew it after that time. As said up the page, its easy to do it online (print the receipt just incase you get stopped) then just drive through the toll booths.

On your drive through Spain, Your yellow vests need to be in the car cabin, not in the boot of the car (at least 2) also if you wear glasses I understand that you must have a second pair in the car.

Your car an only be in the eu for a maximum of 6 months.

Happy driving and Santander is a great stop off point for a couple of days.

Old Dec 31st 2023, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Dafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really niceDafty is just really nice

Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao is a must see if you have time, Architecture alone is amazing.

https://www.guggenheim-bilbao.eus/en
Old Jan 2nd 2024, 3:57 pm
Living the Dream

Originally Posted by 1711JohnB
On registering your UK car at an easy toll, make sure that the ANPR camera that reads your plate reads the correct number. This appears on the receipt that the machine spews out. Doing it online, you should not have any issues. This happened to me coming into Portugal in November and I did not bother to check at that time as I had never had an issue before. Phoned the number on the bottom of the ticket, spoke to a good English speaking girl in Lisbon and got it sorted.

The ticket only lasts for 30 days so you will have to renew it after that time. As said up the page, its easy to do it online (print the receipt just incase you get stopped) then just drive through the toll booths.

On your drive through Spain, Your yellow vests need to be in the car cabin, not in the boot of the car (at least 2) also if you wear glasses I understand that you must have a second pair in the car.

Your car an only be in the eu for a maximum of 6 months.

Happy driving and Santander is a great stop off point for a couple of days.
I was aware of the spare glasses situation but not the vests. Thanks for a great tip.
Old Jan 2nd 2024, 3:58 pm
Living the Dream

Originally Posted by Dafty
Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao is a must see if you have time, Architecture alone is amazing.

https://www.guggenheim-bilbao.eus/en
It looks great, unfortunately we won't have time on this trip but thanks for the heads up.
Old Jan 2nd 2024, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was aware of the spare glasses situation but not the vests. Thanks for a great tip.
I presume you know about the need for a warning triangle as well?
Old Jan 3rd 2024, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I drove it quite a few times, but the last time was 6 years ago.
After experimenting with different routes, I found this to be the one I like best;
A62 to Salamanca
A66 to Cacares
EX100 to Badajoz
A6 to Evora
IP2 / N18 to Beja
After that I cut across to Odimira because I'm heading for Aljezur, but others could take the A2 or IC1 to the south coast.
The roads through Ajustrel were repaired and quite good, so I went that way last time.

Now I send any required items over 10kg ahead and fly, it's too much cheaper and easier.
I sent a 350kg pallet to Amsterdam for a couple of hundred Euros.
Old Jan 10th 2024, 7:15 pm
Living the Dream

Originally Posted by appman999
I presume you know about the need for a warning triangle as well?
Yes thanks I do. I just didn't know about carrying the hi vis jackets inside the vehicle.

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I drove it quite a few times, but the last time was 6 years ago.
After experimenting with different routes, I found this to be the one I like best;
A62 to Salamanca
A66 to Cacares
EX100 to Badajoz
A6 to Evora
IP2 / N18 to Beja
After that I cut across to Odimira because I'm heading for Aljezur, but others could take the A2 or IC1 to the south coast.
The roads through Ajustrel were repaired and quite good, so I went that way last time.

Now I send any required items over 10kg ahead and fly, it's too much cheaper and easier.
I sent a 350kg pallet to Amsterdam for a couple of hundred Euros.
Normally I would do the same but we've booked ferry tickets because we at least once wanted to do the journey down through Spain. The other consideration was when you're coming down for quite a few weeks the hire car rates are quite expensive. I'll certainly look at the route you suggested. Thanks for the information.